VWVortex.com - Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-18-2020 07:59 PM #1
      The roads cannot possibly be more open during this time...

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      03-18-2020 08:04 PM #2
      pics or this did not happen

Vehicles
      Clown Cars and P-Cars
      03-18-2020 08:37 PM #3
      Gonna take a drive on skyline this weekend.

If anyone wants to meet up but not leave the car and wave at one another, I'm in.

4. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-18-2020 08:37 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      pics or this did not happen
      It's rush hour right now and literally every road in the Bay Area is green on Google Maps traffic. Also every traffic cam shows roads w/Sunday morning levels of traffic...again at peak rush hour. While the roads aren't North Korea empty, traffic is very light.

Back on topic, I'd really like to but all non-essential travel is banned and there's no way I could convince a cop it was absolutely necessary to drive my 1963 Porsche on some twisty mountain roads like Skyline Blvd.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-18-2020 08:48 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Back on topic, I'd really like to but all non-essential travel is banned and there's no way I could convince a cop it was absolutely necessary to drive my 1963 Porsche on some twisty mountain roads like Skyline Blvd.
      Yeah, a few buddies went out yesterday. Cop friends are telling us that the rules are sympathetic enforcement, so hey guy, go back home.

Personally? Yeah, same as you. What essential travel am I going to do in the Lotus? I could use the SS, but, I really don't want to be out in public, so I'll just stay at home.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi S5, 1967 Ford Mustang (i6/3 speed)
      03-18-2020 08:50 PM #6
      I am getting my coilovers, drivetrain mounts, and exhuast installed on Friday. If a LEO wants to find me in the canyons this weekend, I would be happy to have him/her explain to me how I am legally required to stay in my residence.

Shelter-in-place is not martial law. Its a measure to contain the public to their homes, most of the time, to mitigate the spread of the virus. If someone has to proof to the contrary about what the legal precedent might be, I am all ears. Until then, I am going to try to avoid people, but I'm not going to stop living a reasonable life. Just like the public statements of the local governments have encouraged. (For the record, I've been doing nothing but working from home and playing xbox for the last 4 days)

-Cid
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Depends if I'm trying to maximize exit speed to get to the end of col-de-sac a few tenths quicker.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      03-18-2020 09:05 PM #7
      Drove the x5 across the street to top up the tank 2 days ago!

Mostly just been running and cycling.

Only been in touch with a couple people since I started working from home 2 weeks ago.

It's been pretty wet lately anyway, not the best time for a drive. *shrug* I guess I sorta outgrew "going for a drive" for the most part. I enjoy a fun road if it's on my route, but I don't go out of my way to carve the canyons when I could just be doing something else.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla Model 3, 1988 BMW M5
      03-18-2020 09:09 PM #8
      I'm driving up to Santa Cruz tomorrow to "Rescue" my daughter from her college. I'll be interested to see how much traffic on the 101.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      03-18-2020 09:14 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Ciderian View Post
      I am getting my coilovers, drivetrain mounts, and exhuast installed on Friday. If a LEO wants to find me in the canyons this weekend, I would be happy to have him/her explain to me how I am legally required to stay in my residence.

Shelter-in-place is not martial law. Its a measure to contain the public to their homes, most of the time, to mitigate the spread of the virus. If someone has to proof to the contrary about what the legal precedent might be, I am all ears. Until then, I am going to try to avoid people, but I'm not going to stop living a reasonable life. Just like the public statements of the local governments have encouraged. (For the record, I've been doing nothing but working from home and playing xbox for the last 4 days)

-Cid
      I kinda doubt LEO will be patrolling the canyons anyway. As long as you stay inside your car, you're not putting anyone at risk. Worst case, you'd probably be asked to head home.

There aren't actual check points set up, right?

The fact that there's so little traffic means the mandate is working. It was pretty eerie driving to work this morning with practically no traffic.

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight / Lotus Elise SC
      03-18-2020 09:24 PM #10

-Cid
      Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code ァ 120295, et seq.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...area-counties/

I went out on my bicycle yesterday and there was lots of people driving around, so apparently they are not enforcing it. I imagine they will start to enforce once things get worse.

I have a special needs kid, we do regular sunday drives as a way to get him (and me) out of the house to blow off some steam and keep him from acting out, was thinking I could claim that as "essential travel" but at the same time driving around in a really loud Lotus is a bit conspicuous and I don't want my neighbors judging me for flouting the seriousness of the situation.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      03-18-2020 10:36 PM #11

-Cid
      Or just don't be a douchebag.
      iain

12. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-18-2020 10:51 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      That's the tough part for me. I know I'm going to go stir crazy. I'm on day 1.5 and I know I'll lose my mind and need to leave the house at some point. Nobody on the walking path behind my condo is walking 6' apart from strangers, so I feel like if they're not taking this seriously do I have to? I mean work from home was an extended weekend to most people and restaurants and bars were full recently.

Buuuut, this thing is serious. I feel like I can easily tell a LEO to pound sand if I get stopped while going for a run, but I also feel like I just could easily get a flat, meet someone who has it, spread it to someone if I have it and don't know, etc.

It's just not worth it. I'll do my part and keep contained. I have the rest of my life to pound the mountains.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      03-19-2020 09:25 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      How is he being a douchebag? What he said is very reasonable, and I agree. Everyone should be living as "normal" as they can, with extra precaution for themselves and others.

Vehicles
      VW Atlas, 2004 R32, 2003 Yukon XL Denali
      03-19-2020 12:46 AM #14
      Shelter-in-place is not martial law.
      It could become that overnight. The governor breathed those words today. We are still free to go for a walk or bike ride. Let's not push it and get ourselves locked down.
      Bought my old R32 back this year. IG @boomerang_r32

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      03-19-2020 01:22 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Icantdrive65 View Post
      It could become that overnight. The governor breathed those words today. We are still free to go for a walk or bike ride. Let's not push it and get ourselves locked down.
      I知 more inclined to leave the gas tank full for the race to the Arizona/Nevada border - I知 assuming that eventually they close it off to us Commiefornians, so maybe we should share potential escape routes, too. Example - up to Big Bear, head 20 miles north on the 18, then drive straight east across the desert floor at night off-road.
      One Swedish sedan
      One 僧urrican coupe

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coup heaven
      03-18-2020 09:25 PM #16
      Sounds perfect for some nice driving. As long as gas stations remain open.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citron.

17. 03-18-2020 09:59 PM #17
      I have been very tempted to go out to highway 9, actually. I might go on the weekend so I don't feel too guilty about skipping work.

18. 03-24-2020 01:48 AM #18
      Saturday, went for a drive in my new (1 month ago) to me silver 2012 Carrera S with some friends and their black 2016 Carrera GTS and red 2007 Targa 4S.

Fun day of driving with friends, ended up driving about 100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-24-2020 05:44 AM #19
      Lovely.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-24-2020 12:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by bertauy View Post
      Saturday, went for a drive in my new (1 month ago) to me silver 2012 Carrera S with some friends and their black 2016 Carrera GTS and red 2007 Targa 4S.

Greetings, comrades!

03-24-2020 01:07 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by bertauy View Post

I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Not only are you not following guidelines to shelter in place (assuming you're in a place with such order), but you also have to park in the most obnoxious way possible in order to take low quality photos in front of nondescript backdrops. Why?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1997 Jeep ZJ
      03-24-2020 10:29 PM #22
      I’m working from home but had to set up a desktop computer the last couple days. Yesterday, I drove down to Sunnyvale from Redwood City to try and find dual monitors. Frys was completely sold out, same with Office Depot and Costco. Luckily, I found a couple monitors at Walmart. Lots of El Camino cruising in my Jeep WK2.

Today, I had to go to the office in SSF (we’re exempt)to grab some stuff. Took the Golf R. Got back home to RWC and realized I needed to do something back at the office. Another round trip. Later on I needed a VGA cable, which could only be found at Best Buy in Mountain View. Went back to RWC and realized the office scanner I borrowed was a piece of junk, so back to Best Buy Mountain View for a scanner.

So I drove all around the bay for a simple computer setup that I could of bought complete in one shot a couple weeks ago. Blew through a ton of gas, especially in the Jeep. Weird times.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-24-2020 10:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I was going to joke about losing the tennis court, but then I saw the tennis court.

All of that and only a 3-car garage? That痴 criminal!
      Looks like three double-wides to me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      03-25-2020 02:02 AM #24
      ^^Agreed.

What I'd like is the opportunity to work from home as needed because if given the option, I'd definitely want to be present at work for certain tasks. If we're having a design review, we're much more efficient all being in the same room and being able to use a whiteboard.

But on the days where I'm just compiling a report, I'm more efficient from home with fewer distractions and having background music play through speakers instead of headphones.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      03-27-2020 10:00 PM #25
      I had a full tank and went for a drive, and we only got out of the car to take a few pics when nobody was around, so we had no social interaction. We just drove for 3 hours through the forest and out to the coast. Came back home, drove into the garage, jumped in the shower and thankful to get some fresh air. After 12 days inside my house, it felt great. Hwy 84 to 35 to 9 to 1 to 92 and home. Woodside, La Honda, Boulder Creek, Ben Lomand, Davenport, Half Moon Bay. Since I was in the Mustang, luckily there were no crowds to careen through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast