VWVortex.com - Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Results 526 to 550 of 733

    Thread: Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2006
      Posts
      15,536
      08-21-2020 02:08 PM #526
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I think this shot from a popular car hangout spot on Skyline sums up what's going on over here.

      The amount of ash coming through my windows is nuts. Not as bad today, but yesterday I had white specs everywhere.
      - Mostly from the woodward fire as I'm out in Marin.

      Next Friday I have to drive to Folsom which is going to be a nasty drive on I-5...

      Thinking we should do some sort of Charity rally for some impacted areas... anyone down?

      Last edited by Nourdmrolnmt; 08-21-2020 at 02:23 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-21-2020 06:51 PM #527
      This is what it looked like from 9 when we were evacuated on Tuesday night. Sorry to say that the Vantage and the wife's TT are still up there - we filled up the Jeep and left.

      Many nearby properties have burned down. No idea about our place, but hopeful.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

    4. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,649
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-21-2020 07:10 PM #528
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Many nearby properties have burned down. No idea about our place, but hopeful.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      I wish you and your family all the best right now Ron. Oban is on me when this is all over.

      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      Thinking we should do some sort of Charity rally for some impacted areas... anyone down?
      Down. My friend Lane's little brother lost his house, so I chucked them a few hundred in the GoFundMe. **** is crazy for a lot of people right now.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    5. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,500
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-21-2020 07:14 PM #529
      What's scary about living in the mountains, you mostly have one way in/out of that area.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2010
      Posts
      2,024
      08-21-2020 07:19 PM #530
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      What's scary about living in the mountains, you mostly have one way in/out of that area.
      That and it only takes one dumbass to block it and trap you.

    7. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Los Gatos, CA
      Posts
      21,957
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-21-2020 07:42 PM #531
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      This is what it looked like from 9 when we were evacuated on Tuesday night. Sorry to say that the Vantage and the wife's TT are still up there - we filled up the Jeep and left. Many nearby properties have burned down. No idea about our place, but hopeful.
      Thank you for checking in! I've been thinking about you out there and while I don't know exactly where your house is in Boulder Creek but you do have reasons to be hopeful. We almost lost our family house to the 2017 wine country fires (Adobe fire which turned into Nuns). Area was evacuated, fire maps showed our house was inside the red zone of destruction, etc. For just over a week we weren't sure if we still had a house or not. Thankfully our house was spared but a house 3 doors down burnt to the ground. I know the feeling of constantly scrambling the internet for information on whether your house is still there or not and it sucks but keep in mind, just because your house is in or near the destruction zones shown on maps doesn't mean you should give up hope.


      Here is a pic from the town last night. The caption read "FD from LA arrived in Boulder Creek to help with a last stand. Good luck and thank you for trying to save our town."




      There is some serious **** happening out there. Check out this E36 that was parked near the golf course in Boulder Creek. Burned so hot it melted the rims.

      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    8. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-21-2020 07:54 PM #532
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Thank you for checking in! I've been thinking about you out there and while I don't know exactly where your house is in Boulder Creek but you do have reasons to be hopeful. We almost lost our family house to the 2017 wine country fires (Adobe fire which turned into Nuns). Area was evacuated, fire maps showed our house was inside the red zone of destruction, etc. For just over a week we weren't sure if we still had a house or not. Thankfully our house was spared but a house 3 doors down burnt to the ground. I know the feeling of constantly scrambling the internet for information on whether your house is still there or not and it sucks but keep in mind, just because your house is in or near the destruction zones shown on maps doesn't mean you should give up hope.


      Here is a pic from the town last night. The caption read "FD from LA arrived in Boulder Creek to help with a last stand. Good luck and thank you for trying to save our town."




      There is some serious **** happening out there. Check out this E36 that was parked near the golf course in Boulder Creek. Burned so hot it melted the rims.

      Thanks. We're off East Hilton above the golf course. News varies between little or no damage to 'Calfire has abandoned the area because there's no water left'. We're lucky enough to be able to park in a hotel in Los Gatos for a bit - but that was end of the world stuff on Tuesday night.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

    9. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,680
      Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      08-21-2020 08:22 PM #533
      That E36 is Terminator levels of scary.

    10. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-21-2020 09:35 PM #534
      Fire reported behind the neighbors house across the street from us. Part of me is glad that due to COVID19 I've as yet been unable to get to the DMV to pay to register the Vantage.

      BTW - the latest news is that downtown Boulder Creek is threatened by the fire. My buddy in Scott's Valley tells me his neighbor the local Fire Captain is not confident about Scotts Valley either.

      Wish us luck.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

    11. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-21-2020 09:50 PM #535
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I wish you and your family all the best right now Ron. Oban is on me when this is all over.



      Down. My friend Lane's little brother lost his house, so I chucked them a few hundred in the GoFundMe. **** is crazy for a lot of people right now.
      The thing that really concerns us is neighbors who are under insured. The house goes and that's it for them. We can hopefully walk away from this, but we completely understand that not everyone is as fortunate.

      If you want to help today, I suggest you make a donation to the volunteer fire department in Boulder Creek. Those guys are working 72 hour shifts right now, and their only goal is to protect their neighbors.

      https://bcfd.com/donate/

      There are numerous stories of them saving neighbors houses in the last few days. When we were leaving they were going in. These guys are gods.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

    12. Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      24,880
      08-21-2020 10:23 PM #536
      Stay safe NoCal friends




      Borrowed this from an illustrator/graphic artist I follow on IG: https://www.instagram.com/michellerial/
      Last edited by bzcat; 08-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2017
      Location
      Nuevo México
      Posts
      594
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 2021 Atlas 4-Motion; 1981 Vanagon
      08-21-2020 11:19 PM #537
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      ......
      There is some serious **** happening out there. Check out this E36 that was parked near the golf course in Boulder Creek. Burned so hot it melted the rims.

      Aluminum melts at about 1221 degrees Fahrenheit, so that pretty much says everything. Yes, this is a really hot fire.

      Best of luck to all of the unfortunate people near the fire area.

      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 2021 Atlas 4-Motion;
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

    14. Member Meroving1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2007
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      1,597
      Vehicles
      Present: F87 M2C Past: 991.1 GT3, ND MX-5, GVB STI
      08-21-2020 11:45 PM #538
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      This is what it looked like from 9 when we were evacuated on Tuesday night. Sorry to say that the Vantage and the wife's TT are still up there - we filled up the Jeep and left.
      Godspeed to your family. Stay safe.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2006
      Posts
      15,536
      08-22-2020 01:24 AM #539
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I wish you and your family all the best right now Ron. Oban is on me when this is all over.



      Down. My friend Lane's little brother lost his house, so I chucked them a few hundred in the GoFundMe. **** is crazy for a lot of people right now.
      Because I don’t want to end up like Alchy Bannon, who can guide me in setting up something like this properly?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    16. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,649
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-22-2020 01:54 AM #540
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Fire reported behind the neighbors house across the street from us. Part of me is glad that due to COVID19 I've as yet been unable to get to the DMV to pay to register the Vantage.

      BTW - the latest news is that downtown Boulder Creek is threatened by the fire. My buddy in Scott's Valley tells me his neighbor the local Fire Captain is not confident about Scotts Valley either.

      Wish us luck.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      I hear ya. My dad ended up under insured by about $200k. My Uncle did too, but when God can’t make payroll he calls my Uncle so life ended up ok for him. Again, wish you all the best.

      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      Because I don’t want to end up like Alchy Bannon, who can guide me in setting up something like this properly?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I’ll ping my DWA buds.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Posts
      672
      08-22-2020 02:03 AM #541
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Fire reported behind the neighbors house across the street from us. Part of me is glad that due to COVID19 I've as yet been unable to get to the DMV to pay to register the Vantage.

      BTW - the latest news is that downtown Boulder Creek is threatened by the fire. My buddy in Scott's Valley tells me his neighbor the local Fire Captain is not confident about Scotts Valley either.

      Wish us luck.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      Best of luck to you and your family. That is scary stuff.

      I'm in north SJ, so pretty close to the SCU/Mt Hamilton fires. It was pretty bad Tuesday/Wednesday. There was smoke and haze hanging around the parking lots at my place. I had to drive my truck with my mask on because the smoke was so strong (no cabin air filter in that truck) and my eyes were stinging pretty badly till I was able to get out of that area. I can't imagine being the firefighters actually on the front lines trying to save everything.

      I was pretty bummed to see the fire got to Big Basin as well. It was eerie to see the visitor center and landmarks all burned up.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

    18. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      21,459
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      08-22-2020 02:16 AM #542
      Best of luck to everyone on here affected by this. I've been busy with work the last 3 days and hadn't realized just how bad/close to all of you guys it was .

      Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    19. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-22-2020 12:43 PM #543
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Godspeed to your family. Stay safe.
      Appreciate everyone's words. This will either be an opportunity to hit the big reset button, or we clean up and move on.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

    20. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-22-2020 06:02 PM #544
      Our house is in the area between fire zones in the map below (the street that looks like a cross - the street sits on a small ridge). Fingers continue to be crossed. Many of our neighbors at lower altitudes have not been so lucky.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

    21. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2006
      Posts
      15,536
      08-23-2020 09:01 PM #545
      Let's see what tonight brings... 1 more major fire is my estimate...

      Also, the east bay fire, while not being discussed as much as Big Basin on here... is MASSIVE.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Posts
      672
      08-23-2020 09:31 PM #546
      Today has been the worst day by far. The east bay fire (SCU complex) is crazy.

      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

    23. Member ptem's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2004
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      1,338
      Vehicles
      '99 4Runner SR5 and '12 Rav4 v6
      08-24-2020 04:04 AM #547
      Hoping the projected lightning storm doesn't come to fruition. Evacuation warning was extended down the East side of Skyline tonight, which is pretty remarkable.

      Sounds like a lot of fire breaks have been implemented between the fire line and HWY 9 in Boulder Creek and Ben Lomond. Also along the UC Santa Cruz/Wilder Ranch side of the fire.

      Best of luck to those with homes still at risk. My in-laws lost their home Wednesday night up by Big Basin.

    24. Member 4th Branch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2007
      Location
      NorCal
      Posts
      564
      Vehicles
      Minivan
      08-24-2020 04:55 AM #548
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      Let's see what tonight brings... 1 more major fire is my estimate...

      Also, the east bay fire, while not being discussed as much as Big Basin on here... is MASSIVE.
      Bay Area wildfire now 10 times bigger than Manhattan

      I had multiple stops today in Fremont, Castro Valley, Hayward, SFO, and back to Fremont, air quality was terrible especially in Hayward. Didn't realize how large SCU has grown until I pulled up the map! Looks like it's creeping up on Tracy and in the coming days possibly the Mission foothills in south Fremont. Time to prep a go bag



    25. Member SLVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2014
      Location
      Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
      Posts
      628
      Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
      08-24-2020 11:45 AM #549
      Quote Originally Posted by ptem View Post
      Hoping the projected lightning storm doesn't come to fruition. Evacuation warning was extended down the East side of Skyline tonight, which is pretty remarkable. Sounds like a lot of fire breaks have been implemented between the fire line and HWY 9 in Boulder Creek and Ben Lomond. Also along the UC Santa Cruz/Wilder Ranch side of the fire. Best of luck to those with homes still at risk. My in-laws lost their home Wednesday night up by Big Basin.
      Sorry to hear about your in-laws. Where was their place? I've heard stories about properties being lost all the way from Big Basin SP to near downtown Boulder Creek along 236.So far efforts to prevent the fire crossing Hwy 9 have been successful, as have efforts to stop further progress towards Santa Cruz.

    26. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Los Gatos, CA
      Posts
      21,957
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-24-2020 12:03 PM #550
      Wow what a weekend. Spent almost all of it inside due to the smoke. Anytime I went outside, like to take my dog out, I had to shower upon return because I smelled like a campfire. Since our place doesn't have A/C that also meant we were stuck inside what became a hot and humid apartment...it was like Das Boot when they were stuck at the bottom of the ocean. Overall minor inconveniences compared to what others are going through. Speaking of which I've noticed a lot of unfamiliar cars parked in town the last few days (i.e. evacuees staying with friends/family), actually saw an Outback this morning covered in ash parked in someone's driveway.

      Speaking of the smoke, here's a pic I took yesterday on Highway 17 heading back to town. The left is my pic, the right image is from Street View to show you what it should look like. Note the AQI that morning was in the 400's and at the time of this pic it had cleared up to around the 200's. Absolutely insane....also note once I got into town there were still people eating outside at restaurants as if we weren't experiencing the worst air quality in the world that day.

      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.