VWVortex.com - Would you buy a TDI post "dieselgate?"
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Would you buy a TDI post "dieselgate?"

1. 03-19-2020 11:56 PM #1
      Dear VW forum:

Have you ever been cheated by "dieselgate," do you miss your old TDI. Would any of you consider buying a 2014 passat TDI CPO? Low mileage, with diesel engine up to standard? Do you think it's worth in the long run or more costly investment? I'm curious to see what your opinions are.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-20-2020 12:36 AM #2
      No... I have a 13 TDI... I bought used as a VW CPO... since I have had it, (bought in 15) I use Fuelly app to track my fuel economy. For the 104000 miles I’ve driven the car, I have an average of 41.8 mpg. I love being able to drive over 750 miles per tank, but at a average of 41-44 miles per tank, I would avoid the premium cost of the diesel maintenance. Go buy a newer Honda Civic and you can get a same mileage as the diesel.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and I plan on driving the **** out of it until it falls apart but the newer gas cars have come a long way since I bought my car

Vehicles
      2016 VW Passat SEL TSI
      03-20-2020 09:24 AM #3
      I first tried out Passats in 2015 and drove both the diesel and gas versions. If you drive a lot of miles, long commutes and/or road trips, I would go with the TDI. Personally, I knew I wouldn't put on a lot of miles, so went for the gas version (3 1/2 years later, I'm a little over 18K). I can get 40 mpg on some road trips, but average a little over 35 on most highway driving. Around town driving with some freeway, I get something like 28mpg per tank.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      03-20-2020 09:48 AM #4
      There'a an entire thread in the car lounge dedicated to this topic.
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

Vehicles
      2015 Passat TDI SE, 1959 Vw Bug
      03-20-2020 01:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bernieDiz View Post
      Dear VW forum:

Have you ever been cheated by "dieselgate," do you miss your old TDI. Would any of you consider buying a 2014 passat TDI CPO? Low mileage, with diesel engine up to standard? Do you think it's worth in the long run or more costly investment? I'm curious to see what your opinions are.
      I had a 2013 Passat TDI SEL pre-dieselgate which I loved. But the buyback amount was so high I would have been stupid not to take it.

Post-dieselgate, I bought two of them. The first was a 2014 Passat TDI SE which was in the shop for 3 of the 5 months I owned it.

The second is the 2015 Passat TDI SE which I still have. I bought it two years ago. The CPO warranty is about to expire and the ONLY claim I have had to make is for one of the HVAC adjustment motors. It has 89,000 on the clock now, 35,000 miles of which I have put on it. I am extremely happy with it and will keep it around for as long as I possibly can. If anything happens to this one, I will be looking for another.

Vehicles
      03-20-2020 02:05 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      I had a 2013 Passat TDI SEL pre-dieselgate which I loved. But the buyback amount was so high I would have been stupid not to take it.

Post-dieselgate, I bought two of them. The first was a 2014 Passat TDI SE which was in the shop for 3 of the 5 months I owned it.

The second is the 2015 Passat TDI SE which I still have. I bought it two years ago. The CPO warranty is about to expire and the ONLY claim I have had to make is for one of the HVAC adjustment motors. It has 89,000 on the clock now, 35,000 miles of which I have put on it. I am extremely happy with it and will keep it around for as long as I possibly can. If anything happens to this one, I will be looking for another.
      But the second is far from being out of warranty.

Extended emissions warranty
      Post emissions modified vehicles get a 10 year / 120,000-mile warranty (from in-service date). If longer, (depending on the age of the vehicle) it’ll get 4 year/48,000 mile emissions warranty from date of modification. Emissions warranty covers anything the emissions system affected. ie; entire exhaust system, particulate filter, catalytic converter, engine long block, head, internals, glow plugs, injectors EGR system, and turbocharger.

Gen 3 engines (2015) get an 11-year/160,000-mile emissions warranty (from in-service date) or 5yr 60k miles after modifications. In-service date is the date the vehicle was originally purchased/put on the road the first time.
      Instagram!
      My flickr

9. 03-22-2020 12:07 AM #7
      Thanks guys this is extremely helpful. I would hope it works out and I know TDI got a bad rep. Cross fingers.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      14 TDI Passat, 13 TDI beetle , 05 Beetle
      03-22-2020 05:41 PM #8
      I bought a ‘14 passat tdi sel premium in sept 17 at 50k, i’m at almost 85k. I had a couple issues in the beginning, heater core failed, water pump failed and seeping around the valve cover. Only maintenance for the last 25,000 miles, i would do it again.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI
      03-23-2020 07:38 PM #9
      Yes, and I did. A 2015 Passat TDI SE....love it! Malone Stg2 for starters. Love the mileage and Tq of the TDI and I do put on the miles.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat TDI SE, 1959 Vw Bug
      03-24-2020 10:20 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      But the second is far from being out of warranty.

Extended emissions warranty
      Post emissions modified vehicles get a 10 year / 120,000-mile warranty (from in-service date). If longer, (depending on the age of the vehicle) it’ll get 4 year/48,000 mile emissions warranty from date of modification. Emissions warranty covers anything the emissions system affected. ie; entire exhaust system, particulate filter, catalytic converter, engine long block, head, internals, glow plugs, injectors EGR system, and turbocharger.

Gen 3 engines (2015) get an 11-year/160,000-mile emissions warranty (from in-service date) or 5yr 60k miles after modifications. In-service date is the date the vehicle was originally purchased/put on the road the first time.
      With all due respect, you should clarify that the Dieselgate warranty extends ONLY to anything that could cause the tailpipe emissions to be out of whack. Engine, anything turbo related, anything fuel related, anything PCM related, anything exhaust (including after-treatment), etc.

Dieseltgate would not have covered the A/C stepper motor which is why I said the CPO warranty was about to expire.

Vehicles
      03-24-2020 11:42 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      With all due respect, you should clarify that the Dieselgate warranty extends ONLY to anything that could cause the tailpipe emissions to be out of whack. Engine, anything turbo related, anything fuel related, anything PCM related, anything exhaust (including after-treatment), etc.

Dieseltgate would not have covered the A/C stepper motor which is why I said the CPO warranty was about to expire.
      Basically DG warranty covers anything important.
      Instagram!
      My flickr

14. 03-27-2020 08:17 PM #12
      The only people who felt "cheated" by dieselgate are the EPA lawmakers and their ever increasing standards (no matter how overbearing they might be). Plenty of manufacturers have done the same thing with their engines, so this is nothing that personally shocks me. If you find a good engine to start with and not a problem pig, you'll have a relatively smooth experience. Do the preventative maintenance, etc...

15. 03-27-2020 11:11 PM #13
      I might but my 400k mile 97 B4 TDI is too good of a car.

Vehicles
      2015/VW/Passat Limited 1.8TSi APR Stage 1-93 Octane - 2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium w/DSG
      03-30-2020 09:44 AM #14
      My son was in the market for his first car and when we compared the 'Dieselgate" cars it was a no brainer. His 2014 Jetta Premium TDI was $11,2000 had 34K miles, new brakes front and back, new tires, battery, fuel filter, oil filter/change, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, etc...Why would we buy a car not knowing what needs to be replaced and we have the 2 year unlimited mile CPO warranty and the DG warranty on top of that.
      Last edited by miamipassat; 04-04-2020 at 11:06 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1983 GTI
      04-01-2020 05:40 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by miamipassat View Post
      His 2014 TDI $11,2000 had 34K miles, new brakes front and back, new tires, battery, fuel filter, oil filter/change, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, etc...
      This seems like a great price. Cpongrats!!!!!

I bought a '14 TDI SE with 107k miles for $7,500. It has the 17" wheels, sunroof, two-tone interior and records of all required routine maintenance documented by a dealer. This is my 2nd TDI. First went 300k miles with only 2 non-routine repairs (A/C compressor & EGR cooler). I feel these cars are bargains and gas vehicles just don't compare. I drive about 25k miles annually and didnt even look at gas vehicles when searching.

I'd say buy the one you want and just ensure maintenance has been kept current. Don't skip the DSG service and timing belt replacement interval. These are important maintenance items and much cheaper than a replacement engine or trans.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI
      04-01-2020 08:29 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by miamipassat View Post
      My son was in the market for his first car and when we compared the 'Dieselgate" cars it was a no brainer. His 2014 TDI $11,2000 had 34K miles, new brakes front and back, new tires, battery, fuel filter, oil filter/change, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, etc...Why would we buy a car not knowing what needs to be replaced and we have the 2 year unlimited mile CPO warranty and the DG warranty on top of that.
      Ahh, yes very good point. I bought my '15 Passat TDI SE w/28k ($15,200) on it in may 2018....I have not touched tires or brakes and I now have 62K on it (almost 2years). I will get this summer out of my present tires, run snows in the winter an get ready for new tires next summer. Brakes I plan to upgrade this summer anyway....OEM BBK front and rear And tires this summer if it's in the budget Mich Pilot Sports. Its not my only vehicle in the household...but I do plan to drive it more....and more.

Vehicles
      2013.5 Gen3 GLI Autobahn/Nav
      04-01-2020 11:34 PM #17
      Had a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium that was bought back after being "cheated" and i missed that thing sorely even though i replaced it with a 2013 GLI Autobahn W/Nav. Though the GLI was faster, handled better etc, it still sucked on mileage for long trips i drive frequently. I could squeeze 625 miles out of the tank of the TDI driving from CO springs back to my old house in OKC. In the GLI it required filling up at least once depending on luggage and if i had the roof rack on the top. GLI was totaled about 2 months ago and i was looking hard for a VR6 Passat and came across a CPO 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Pulled the trigger over a month ago and i have loved it since. Yes it's not the fastest thing but i'm in a stage of my life with young kids and i commute really far during the week which is all highway. it was a no brainer for me. Even with the "fixed issues" i still get 40 highway and around 27-31 city moderately driving with a total average of 33-3 combined depending on how i drove. So to answer your question, Yes i considered it but i wouldnt have purchased any of the 25 models i had saved/looked at without the CPO (they all get the emissions warranty but only VW can CPO it). I got one with 40K on the clock and they had fully done the 40k service and some extras with brand new (crap but brand new) Ironman tires. Saved me an extra 1k in tires and some extras for the maintenance they threw in.
      "Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

- Jeremy Clarkson -