1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  fastinradford 
#1 ·
Replacing the rear-lid i.e. hatch rubber seal : the manual says

"When the seal is removed, the sealant on the inside of the seal
will be spread and the flanks will be bent out slightly. If the seal
is then refitted, sealing and firm seating are no longer guar‐
anteed.
♦ Therefore, each seal that is completely removed must be re‐
placed with a seal known as a “tap-on seal”.

♦ If a seal has been partially removed, squeeze sides of seal
together before installing."

What is a "tap-on seal"? It sounds like you have to install it by tapping into place rather than pushing it on over the metal lip, but the manual does not say if that is so.
Is a tap-on one different to the o.e. one?

The reason I want to mess with mine is the original one was poorly fitted in one corner and sealing poorly. VW fitted a new one (I was shown the old so I know they fitted a new one). However, although it has been on for 3 months of our hot Australian Summer, it still has an unpleasant fecal smell which is not going away. Swabbing with mild detergent & water & methylated spirits failed.
I want to remove it & leave it in the sun for a couple of days to drive out the smell. I also want to re-fit it correctly which the manual states you should "Align seal with vulcanised point for securing the gas strut" VW fitted it a didn't do that and it is 50cm out, which I suspect that is why it does not align as neatly as the o.e. one across the plastic trim along the bottom.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.