Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Next-generation Nissan Z

1. 05-28-2020 07:19 PM #251
      I expect it to be the Z34 chassis upgraded hopefully with as much of their 1.2GPa Steel as possible. The 6speed is hopefully a reengineered carryover and they'll bring in the new 9speed auto from the Titan and Frontier that they are licensing from Daimler-Benz. And lets hope their has been a focus on the unsprung elements as well esp. with regard to vehicle dynamics.

With the weights of both the Z34 and A90s similar as is, as long as that vr30ddt has an lsd, then I see the Z35 having zero issues shading (in the least) the A90. The real question is how much does this base 400 HP Z35 w/lsd cost?

edit - just reminded myself that the VR30ddt only adds 17 lbs of curb weight along with the requisite increase in HP and TQ. The world needs to know what that VR engine feels like with a 6 speed manual from the factory.
      Last edited by enigmatic enthusiast; 05-28-2020 at 07:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

05-28-2020 07:40 PM #252

4. 05-28-2020 09:44 PM #253
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Why, that's exactly what they do! They purposely make their cars ugly so that they'll...

Wait. Why would they do that? Answer: They absolutely and unequivocally don't do that.
      Because of politics. Its obvious their design has de-evolved like a child thats given vaccines and turns autistic.

Follow my kit designs on Facebook fan pages http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-29-2020 11:16 AM #254
      Did you seriously post a picture of a toy model of an 80s era Nissan concept (Mid4 Type II)? You Ding Dong!

You had me fooled for a while. I really thought you were crazy and destined to die from fecal asphyxia, but now I'm back to believing you're a treasure of comedic trolliness.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      05-29-2020 11:21 AM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Did you seriously post a picture of a toy model of an 80s era Nissan concept (Mid4 Type II)? You Ding Dong!

You had me fooled for a while. I really thought you were crazy and destined to die from fecal asphyxia, but now I'm back to believing you're a treasure of comedic trolliness.
      I especially like the anti-vax comment thrown in there. I think if he were really that dumb he'd forget to breathe. Hmmmmm... Maybe it's someone like TheSteve's or Turbio!'s alter ego.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-29-2020 11:26 AM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I especially like the anti-vax comment thrown in there. I think if he were really that dumb he'd forget to breathe. Hmmmmm... Maybe it's someone like TheSteve's or Turbio!'s alter ego.
      My money is on zuk-JIMP.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

8. 05-29-2020 11:35 AM #257
      It was the base for Z32, even had the same engine... but apparently they can put 4 wheels on a toaster (350z) and you think its best of Nissan's work.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-29-2020 11:39 AM #258
      Except that the Mid4 was a MR with AWD and I think AWS. But sure, whatever you say. Please don't stop on my account.

Vehicles
      2011 Infiniti G37S
      05-29-2020 11:46 AM #259
      Looks like they kind of went back to the Hirshberg 1999 240Z Concept.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/niss...-240z-concept/

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-29-2020 12:12 PM #260
      The Hirshberg was a bit slab-sided for my tastes (so many 90s concepts were) but that was much closer to what I hoped the 350Z would be than what we got. "What Did Jesus Drive" by Jason Vines had a pretty interesting (though I suspect incomplete) background on the development and rollout of the 350Z.

12. Member
      05-29-2020 12:44 PM #261
      I heard the Mid4 inspired the 1st gen acura nsx the front bumper lights do look somewhat similar

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-29-2020 01:17 PM #262
      I think "inspired" is generous. Honda began researching a midship sports car in the early 80s and the NSX finally popped up in 89. The Mid4 showed up in 87, well after the NSX began serious development. It might be fair to say that Honda designers grabbed a few cues from the Mid4 for the final result. I once heard Ralph Gilles say something akin to designers work for everyone eventually. It's not surprising to see similar details pop up across multiple manufacturers of any given era.

14. 05-29-2020 01:30 PM #263
      These were a rehash of a Pininfarina design... all a part of the hidden automobile industrial monopoly complex.

Except that the Mid4 was a MR with AWD and I think AWS. But sure, whatever you say. Please don't stop on my account.
      Same wheelbase... same dynamics. Nissan had the the flexibility to remodel that chassis as mid engine. More designs prior to Nissan going autistic. Maybe the new Z will have some of this face.

Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      05-29-2020 01:49 PM #264

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      05-29-2020 02:11 PM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      hidden automobile industrial monopoly complex.
      I'd love for you to pick this apart for me, word by word.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

17. 05-29-2020 03:40 PM #266
      This is not a political forum so I cant. The world wars were an inside job... they killed the creator of Renault and took his company as one example.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_...industrialist)

The Music city. Or The Motor City. What day is it?
      Vehicles
      2020 Nissan GT-R Premium, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      05-29-2020 03:40 PM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      What about the production timeline for the Ariya? I know its the wrong thread but I would think that will be priority in the near future for the A-Team.

edit. got to be more carefull

18 months and yes the A team will be on that. The Z will be very easy to retool for-one look at the headlight and taillight assemblies (and door panels) vs the Q60 is the big tell. ICE SUVs with a known nameplate are a smart bet vs. any EV in the short term-Nissan needs cash.
      Last edited by Minority5; 05-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Vehicles
      05-29-2020 03:43 PM #268
      Several engineers have suspension, brake, and tire modified Q60 Red Sports-and they are absolute hoots. As GMs data can attest, the majority of buyers RWD coupe segment is more about fashion than most-the finer points of dynamics beyond the obvious aren't going to move the needle outside of platforms like this.

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      05-29-2020 03:59 PM #269
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      Same wheelbase... same dynamics.
      I think this is where I say "what the... I don't even..."
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      05-29-2020 04:02 PM #270
      Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post
      Several engineers have suspension, brake, and tire modified Q60 Red Sports-and they are absolute hoots. As GMs data can attest, the majority of buyers RWD coupe segment is more about fashion than most-the finer points of dynamics beyond the obvious aren't going to move the needle outside of platforms like this.
      Honest question: if they are hoots, why not spend a bit of money over the years setting up the Z and Q60 properly? The LX platform approach makes a tonne of sense for a company under financial duress like Nissan.

Vehicles
      05-29-2020 04:20 PM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Honest question: if they are hoots, why not spend a bit of money over the years setting up the Z and Q60 properly? The LX platform approach makes a tonne of sense for a company under financial duress like Nissan.
      1.) Carlos.

2.) The fact that the LX sells in legacy volumes that 60% of Nissan/Infiniti couldn't sell the combined FM platforms-for instance Z volumes wouldn't sniff Challenger sales realistically, and to lose money like GM has been doing with Alpha isn't an option for the company.

3.) The market has moved on from a willingness to pay for a RWD coupes according to 18 OEMs latest data. This climate will accelerate that process. I've seen two other legacy RWD products cancelled by German OEMs.

4.) With limited money-Nissan is choosing to invest in EVs. I what is 'right' or 'wrong' is above my paygrade-but FCA is still in the early process of formulating a viable EV product program-which buyers might be willing to pay a premium for-but they've got a hellva RWD platform lineup. All paths have pitfalls.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-29-2020 04:28 PM #272
      I feel like Nissan has spent the last decade pretty cash strapped. Admittedly I think a lot of the Z's dynamic problems could have been fixed on the cheap but it is what it is. That money was spent on updating the Altima/Sentra/Rogue/QX50- all much more important products- and probably a new Pathfinder if they are smart.

Plus Nissan has taken the LX platform approach; the Q50/60 are on an updated FM platform that was under the G35/350Z nearly 20 years ago. They just got lazy with the refresh cycle cadence. I think it's a way better use of capital than the "new platform to make the Z like Miata!" suggestions that were percolating a while back. Again all aluminum multilink suspension at all 4 corners............ the platform is solid; just needs tweaking and tuning to make it great. Should be a blast even with the "300" HP V6TT.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2020 04:35 PM #273
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I feel like Nissan has spent the last decade pretty cash strapped. Admittedly I think a lot of the Z's dynamic problems could have been fixed on the cheap but it is what it is. That money was spent on updating the Altima/Sentra/Rogue/QX50- all much more important products- and probably a new Pathfinder if they are smart.

Plus Nissan has taken the LX platform approach; the Q50/60 are on an updated FM platform that was under the G35/350Z nearly 20 years ago. They just got lazy with the refresh cycle cadence. I think it's a way better use of capital than the "new platform to make the Z like Miata!" suggestions that were percolating a while back. Again all aluminum multilink suspension at all 4 corners............ the platform is solid; just needs tweaking and tuning to make it great. Should be a blast even with the "300" HP V6TT.
      If they got lazy and let it sit, then it's not the LX approach. The LX approach was major refreshes followed by constant, engine, transmission, interior and exterior updates.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-29-2020 05:59 PM #274
      If they got lazy and let it sit, then it's not the LX approach. The LX approach was major refreshes followed by constant, engine, transmission, interior and exterior updates.
      That seems like an accurate description of the Infiniti G/Q. The Z was gettting the same for a while too.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2020 08:26 PM #275
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      That seems like an accurate description of the Infiniti G/Q. The Z was gettting the same for a while too.
      Sure, but they stopped--for a long time. You can buy a Z that is 8-9 years old and it's mechanically identical to a new one on the lot. That's lazy.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast