VWVortex.com - Removing gas pedal "click"
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing gas pedal "click"

1. 03-23-2020 09:29 AM #1
      I have a GSW with a DSG and I noticed that there is what seems to be a switch on the gas pedal. When you press the gas all the way down there is resistance and additional pressure causes a "click". This seems to be there to kick the gears down when giving 100% throttle but it is rather annoying and I feel like I can only use say 90% throttle. Has anyone removed this or does anyone make a kit so that you can actually have a linear throttle?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-23-2020 10:16 AM #2
      Most of if not all, non manual transmission equipped vehicles have a transmission kickdown switch. I see no reason why you wouldn't want the car to know you are giving it full beans.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack S MT
      03-23-2020 10:37 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
      Most of if not all, non manual transmission equipped vehicles have a transmission kickdown switch. I see no reason why you wouldn't want the car to know you are giving it full beans.
      The car always knows what pedal % you are using and thus what throttle % you are demanding. This click is totally irrelevant for that. The only thing it is for, is to inform the driver that you have reached 100% pedal.

But the manual trans golf wagons have it also, and I HATE IT. I would also love to see a delete DIY or kit.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-23-2020 10:42 AM #4
      I haven't felt that in mine. And I am big turbo and full fuel. In e46 BMWs, the kick down switch is for the transmission controller to drop the car into the right gear based on RPM and wheel speed. Now I'm going to go check out my accelerator pedal.

7. 03-23-2020 11:07 AM #5
      I can confirm my 6MT GSW has this kickdown switch. You tend to forget about it over time. Doesnt bother me.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      03-23-2020 11:26 AM #6
      A DSG tune will removed the DSG from reacting to the kick down switch.

the biggest change you can make to how the car feels is codding for "throttle response to direct". IMO it's essential for enjoying the DSG.
      Last edited by Dieseldog12; 03-23-2020 at 11:31 AM.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf Sportswagen 4Motion 6MT Midnight Blue
      03-23-2020 11:37 AM #7
      I have felt this too but I have a manual so it is definitely not a kick down switch, at least on my car.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

10. 03-23-2020 01:20 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post

I want to have a linear pedal feel rather than an extra 10% I have to push extra for. I am all for the car knocking down a gear which in D or S if its essential, but there is still no need for a clicky switch, the TPS or some other means could be used to tell the DSG to kick down. I just find it obnoxious and intrusive in a way of limiting how much throttle I have available.

11. 03-23-2020 01:22 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      A DSG tune will removed the DSG from reacting to the kick down switch.

the biggest change you can make to how the car feels is codding for "throttle response to direct". IMO it's essential for enjoying the DSG.
      I have been looking into an OBDeleven Pro and this one be one of many tweaks. I know the DSG tune from APR etc gets rid of this action, I only wish there was a way to remove the switch so that the throttle pedal was linear from 0-100%.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      03-23-2020 01:58 PM #10
      Kick down switch. When you punch it, it downshifts to the necessary gear (we used to call this "passing gear"). On the manual, doesn't do a thing is my understanding. Don't see the issue with it. My car has a DSG tune (Stage 2 Unitronic) and the switch does a few things a bit differently than stock. 1) allows me to have 2-stage launch control (1 at 3500 with the pedal all the way but switch not depressed and 2 at 3700 with switch engaged) and 2) the kick-down switch is disabled in manual mode so you can floor it in third let's say at 3K rpm and it won't downshift to second. In drive and sport mode the switch is functional with this tune. Other tuners may do different things.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      03-23-2020 02:07 PM #11
      Based on my research/data the "direct throttle tweak" does not change the accelerator:throttle ratio....nobody that I have found has shown data indicating a clear decrease in that ratio (stock is let's say 1:0.5 as folks describe it and modded you would expect 1:0.75 or so). I also believe based on my logging that the ratio is variable based on how hard/fast you push the pedal and the reason folks think it works is that they are just giving it more gas. The only proven way to change it is to get a pedal tuner box. I've posted a video I made as well as links to the data logging I did on this if you search the forum. Always wanted to see someone do the same thing that has a pedal tuner box to see how the %s looks vs. the stock setting!
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

14. 03-23-2020 03:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      Kick down switch. When you punch it, it downshifts to the necessary gear (we used to call this "passing gear"). On the manual, doesn't do a thing is my understanding. Don't see the issue with it. My car has a DSG tune (Stage 2 Unitronic) and the switch does a few things a bit differently than stock. 1) allows me to have 2-stage launch control (1 at 3500 with the pedal all the way but switch not depressed and 2 at 3700 with switch engaged) and 2) the kick-down switch is disabled in manual mode so you can floor it in third let's say at 3K rpm and it won't downshift to second. In drive and sport mode the switch is functional with this tune. Other tuners may do different things.
      This functionality would be great once tuned. I just wish it wasn't so much of an obvious feeling. If it was a soft switch that would be fantastic.

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Past: White Launch Edition Beetle Turbo Current: 2019 GSW S-4motion
      03-23-2020 04:07 PM #13
      I'd say look underneath the pedal arm and see if you can see the switch. There's probably a nub that goes into the switch, that you could cut off. I think BMWs have that so it's worth a shot.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack S MT
      03-23-2020 07:25 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ShagginGSW View Post
      This functionality would be great once tuned. I just wish it wasn't so much of an obvious feeling. If it was a soft switch that would be fantastic.
      Exactly, I wouldn't mind a soft or gentle switch, mine is sticky... clicky... requires a lot of extra foot power to click it (relatively speaking anyway). I will lay under there and look soon!

17. 03-23-2020 09:46 PM #15
      The button is just a detent, not a switch. I'm still not sure what it does.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-for-me-please

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      03-24-2020 07:07 AM #16
      I have been looking into an OBDeleven Pro and this one be one of many tweaks. I know the DSG tune from APR etc gets rid of this action, I only wish there was a way to remove the switch so that the throttle pedal was linear from 0-100%.
      I don't think the throttle body and fueling/power is increased at all once you pass the kickdown switch, only thing you'll get is another gear which may feel faster as you moved in the power band.

What I noticed with throttle response do direct is how fast the car reacts to the input, in stock form I always felt myself increasing throttle input say from 30% to 70% to get my desired response, where as after I can place my foot at say 50% and the car reacts way more linear.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

19. 03-24-2020 09:03 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vTa4 View Post
      The button is just a detent, not a switch. I'm still not sure what it does.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-for-me-please
      Other than being annoying I'm not sure either. It's good to read that pre and post "switch/detent" the TB is reading 87% so you aren't gaining any extra throttle.

20. 03-24-2020 09:06 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      I don't think the throttle body and fueling/power is increased at all once you pass the kickdown switch, only thing you'll get is another gear which may feel faster as you moved in the power band.

What I noticed with throttle response do direct is how fast the car reacts to the input, in stock form I always felt myself increasing throttle input say from 30% to 70% to get my desired response, where as after I can place my foot at say 50% and the car reacts way more linear.
      I will be doing this once I get an OBDeleven. I will still be looking for a way to remove this clicky extra effort. I plan to track my car in the future and want a linear physical throttle response. I want to be able to mat the pedal without providing extra effort, it's more of a mental thing but that is how I have learned to drive, I feel like this click while driving at the limit would take me out of the zone as it isn't a natural feeling.

Vehicles
      85 ABAT,10 CCTA Tigger
      03-26-2020 07:32 PM #19
      Oh come on, it’s a kick down switch made for driver foot sensation. Are these cars that boring?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack S MT
      03-26-2020 08:03 PM #20
      Nothing to do with “boring”. It’s just an unnatural, odd feeling to try to go WOT and receive an abrupt and harsh click sensation in the pedal. I want to remove mine to make it MORE of a driver’s car. I might be able to live with it on a DSG. But on my manual it has zero purpose, and is only distracting.

I also wonder if the intensity of the click varies from car to car a bit. Some people clearly don’t mind it. Maybe it’s an OCD trigger lol

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI, Autobahn, PP, DCC, LP, DSG, CSG, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's, Unitronic Stage 1.5 and TCU
      03-26-2020 09:48 PM #21
      Just use manual mode when you get up to speed if you want no downshifting.

I have a GSW with a DSG and I noticed that there is what seems to be a switch on the gas pedal. When you press the gas all the way down there is resistance and additional pressure causes a "click". This seems to be there to kick the gears down when giving 100% throttle but it is rather annoying and I feel like I can only use say 90% throttle. Has anyone removed this or does anyone make a kit so that you can actually have a linear throttle?

24. 03-26-2020 10:34 PM #22
      When I got my IS20 and DSG tune from an APR dealer they told me the software does not change or disable the kickdown switch. I'm surprised nobody sells a modified pedal that removes this trash.

25. 03-26-2020 10:50 PM #23
      All automatic transmissions always have a kickdown switch.
      It is to force the transmission into an emergency power situation, and forces it to a lower gear.
      It does NOT at all effect the maximum engine throttle in any way, and it is illegal to disconnect.
      It is dangerous because in an emergency, it is too hard to manually drop to a lower gear in order to get the power you need.
      Transmission are set up normally for maximum mileage, not power, so you NEED a kickdown for emergencies.
      And anyone running their engine at 90% of its maximum throttle for any length of time, will soon need a new engine.
      No engine is designed to be run that way.
      The kickdown on VWs used to be a switch under the throttle pedal, but I do not know where they currently put it.

26. 03-26-2020 10:54 PM #24
      I will be doing this once I get an OBDeleven. I will still be looking for a way to remove this clicky extra effort. I plan to track my car in the future and want a linear physical throttle response. I want to be able to mat the pedal without providing extra effort, it's more of a mental thing but that is how I have learned to drive, I feel like this click while driving at the limit would take me out of the zone as it isn't a natural feeling.
      You are NOT supposed to normally hit the kickdown switch.
      If you are, either you are accelerating WAY too hardl, or the switch is not adjusted property.
      The kickdown is NOT for throttle response and does not effect engine speed.
      It is to force the transmission into an emergency lower gear, once you have floored the throttle.
      Never "mat the pedal".
      That will rapidly destroy the vehicle, transmission as well as engine.

27. 03-26-2020 10:58 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by drader View Post
      When I got my IS20 and DSG tune from an APR dealer they told me the software does not change or disable the kickdown switch. I'm surprised nobody sells a modified pedal that removes this trash.
      It is not just illegal to remove the kickdown, but incredibly unsafe, and foolish to push the vehicle into emergency mode when not an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast