VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing gas pedal "click"

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      03-27-2020 07:20 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by kirk_augustin View Post
      And anyone running their engine at 90% of its maximum throttle for any length of time, will soon need a new engine.
      Not really true, TDIs run with their throttle open 100%, they just add fuel when needed to make power
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      03-27-2020 07:23 AM #27
      It is not just illegal to remove the kickdown, but incredibly unsafe, and foolish to push the vehicle into emergency mode when not an emergency.
      Wait, i brake the law when i peg the peddle in a non emergency situation? I feel so rebellious!
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack S MT
      03-27-2020 09:23 AM #28
      You are NOT supposed to normally hit the kickdown switch.
      If you are, either you are accelerating WAY too hardl, or the switch is not adjusted property.
      The kickdown is NOT for throttle response and does not effect engine speed.
      It is to force the transmission into an emergency lower gear, once you have floored the throttle.
      Never "mat the pedal".
      That will rapidly destroy the vehicle, transmission as well as engine.
      Kirk... buddy... oh man. So much wrongness wrapped up into your few posts.

Never mat the pedal? Good lord. I do it several times every day, at least when there aren't global pandemics raging. Engines actually like to run hard and rev through their full range. It keeps them clean, which helps with long term sealing and wear. People who don't ever go full throttle, are the ones who complain about their unreliable engines before too long. Cold engines and short trips = sludge = problems.

Are you aware that before any manufacturer releases an engine design for production, they first subject it to incredibly abusive dynamometer testing? As in, 300 plus hours of continuous peak power (some even run closer to 1000 hours). Hundreds more hours of cyclic testing, revving the engine up and down constantly at full load. Thermal shock testing where you intentionally chill an engine to -20F and then start it and go full load right away - hold for 5-10 mins, idle, shut down, chill again. Repeat 500 times.

If anything fails during these validation tests, you fix it with a better design before starting engine production. This is my day job, I work in a dyno lab for a piston supplier.

Removing the kick down switch is illegal? Says who? Who the f&*( is going to find out?

5. 03-27-2020 09:24 AM #29
      From a technical side, the click you feel is a "kickdown" notification. It is used for diagnostic purposes. Some test plans will tell the tech to press the throttle to WOT just before kickdown. At that exact spot some diagnostic procedures can be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12