VWVortex.com - TourX at body shop for 4 months, GM doesn't have a timeline for parts. Suggestions?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TourX at body shop for 4 months, GM doesn't have a timeline for parts. Suggestions?

1. Semi-n00b
      03-23-2020 05:39 PM #1
      My Buick TourX was in an accident back in October. I dropped the car off to the dealership in November, they said the repairs would take about a week.

Four months later I still don't have my car because shop can't get the repair parts from General Motors.The shop was initially saying this was because of the UAW strike that occured back in September. I'm not sure what the issue is anymore.

I've called General Motors Customer Care and this seems to get me nowhere. They'll contact the shop where my car is being repaired, verify the part numbers that are on order, and then call me back stating they have no timeline for when the parts will be available. They always tell me that the shop where my car is being repaired is the best source of this information going forward. This blows my mind since GM or one of their suppliers, not the dealership, makes the part.

The insurance company won't total out the vehicle since the repair was only about 3k. I feel like GM should be doing something to help me out here. I bought the car new in February of 2019 and it has less than 10k miles on it. How can they not have parts for this vehicle? The only thing they've offered to do is give me an $100 service voucher, Sirius/XM, or OnStar subscription. I find this completely insulting at this point.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or have any suggestions on what I should be doing?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-23-2020 05:45 PM #2
      Tell them you have the Corona virus and you're coming down to cough on them

But seriously... You need to get someone above the dealership to step in for you. Your state attorney general's office? A local news station? An attorney? You've been a lot more patient than I would have been.

Time to go nuclear on their ass.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-23-2020 07:26 PM #3
      Have you asked to see if they can find any used parts? It might be a long shot/short supply (like when I've tried to find used parts for my Yaris) but I would assume most of these are pretty low mileage so probably not a lot of road rash/dings/etc. I understand not wanting used parts on a new car but I also would want my own car back...
      Last edited by adrew; 03-23-2020 at 08:28 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      03-23-2020 07:33 PM #4
      Wonder if this has to do with the PSA buyout of Opel/Vauxhall. Aren't these made in Germany in what is now a Puegeot plant?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-23-2020 07:36 PM #5
      Are they covering your payments (if you have any)? They should, if the issue is with their parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      03-23-2020 07:42 PM #6
      At minimum they should be covering payments.

At this point since going through the channels you have is getting you nowhere, I would contact your attorney general - watch how fast they figure something out.

I had to do that about 7-8 years ago. My wife ordered something, which was going to start triggering recurring auto-shipping, if we didn't cancel. We did cancel. About 7 times. And it kept auto-shipping and charging us (some beauty stuff of some sort). I kept calling back, writing letters, getting less and less polite, and more and more assertive. I was told multiple, multiple times it was canceled, and it never was.

I wrote the attorney general a letter, who in turn contacted the business, and it stopped almost immediately. Received a nice response from the AG notifying me of what she did and what the outcome was. It was a last resort, but a necessary one.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-23-2020 08:03 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Wonder if this has to do with the PSA buyout of Opel/Vauxhall. Aren't these made in Germany in what is now a Puegeot plant?
      This was my thought as well. Reminds me of the Saab ordeal.

OP, hasn't your insurance company lit a fire under their ass or taken it to a shop who can actually source the parts. Something is fishy.

9. Member
      03-23-2020 08:24 PM #8
      A friend of mine was in an accident in her Equinox back in December and it took over 2 months to get it back out of the shop due to "parts shortage". Her rental period covered by insurance ran out a month in and she was left driving her BIL's POS Mustang for over a month. GM definitely has a parts shortage but that shouldn't come at the expense of their customers. She was also waaaay nicer than I would have been about it either but she wouldn't let me step in to help because she's one of those independent women types ...who always ends up being the victim to everything LOL....whatever.

Anyway, OP, go put your foot down, demand reimbursement of not only your car payments (if any), your insurance payments, and any vehicle rentals you're paying for outside of what your insurance is covering. I'd be totally pissed right now...take it up with the AG's office.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

10. Semi-n00b
      03-23-2020 09:23 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      This was my thought as well. Reminds me of the Saab ordeal.

OP, hasn't your insurance company lit a fire under their ass or taken it to a shop who can actually source the parts. Something is fishy.

That's where I think the disconnect is.... I'm assuming GM's ordering system isn't connected to PSA's ordering system. So it's just never going to get resolved. haha

The insurance company is angry, the body shop is angry and I'm angry. It's definitely not on the body shop as the corporate GM customer service people admit that they don't have a timeline for when parts will be available.

11. Semi-n00b
      03-23-2020 09:30 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      Are they covering your payments (if you have any)? They should, if the issue is with their parts.
      GM Customer Care said they might be able to pay for payments once the car was out of the body shop. But since I don't have payments on the car they said they couldn't reimburse me. So it's like I'm being punished for not taking out a loan. That's where they came back with the "We'll give you a subscription for Onstar, or Sirius, or a $100 service voucher".

12. Semi-n00b
      03-23-2020 09:31 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      At minimum they should be covering payments.

At this point since going through the channels you have is getting you nowhere, I would contact your attorney general - watch how fast they figure something out.

I had to do that about 7-8 years ago. My wife ordered something, which was going to start triggering recurring auto-shipping, if we didn't cancel. We did cancel. About 7 times. And it kept auto-shipping and charging us (some beauty stuff of some sort). I kept calling back, writing letters, getting less and less polite, and more and more assertive. I was told multiple, multiple times it was canceled, and it never was.

I wrote the attorney general a letter, who in turn contacted the business, and it stopped almost immediately. Received a nice response from the AG notifying me of what she did and what the outcome was. It was a last resort, but a necessary one.

I didn't think about going to the attorney general. I'm glad you guys brought that up. That's probably my next route.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-23-2020 09:34 PM #12
      Are they paying for your rental? That would cost a fortune.

14. Semi-n00b
      03-23-2020 09:37 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post
      Are they paying for your rental? That would cost a fortune.
      Luckily the at fault party's insurance is paying for it. I'm very terrified that they're going to pull the plug on the rental soon.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-23-2020 09:44 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by zachispro View Post
      Luckily the at fault party's insurance is paying for it. I'm very terrified that they're going to pull the plug on the rental soon.
      I would expect they’d be pitching a fit. It’s their responsibility to cover your rental for a reasonable period of time. 4 months is well beyond reasonable for a car that isn’t an antique. Seems that GM should be footing the bill by now.

16. 03-24-2020 12:33 AM #15
      Call a lawyer that specializes in lemon law.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-24-2020 06:14 AM #16
      Nothing to add regarding your situation OP, that sucks...

Just wanted to ask how your driving experience has been with the TourX so far? I love the look of these! Seems like a tremendous value too.

IMO TourX > Outback x eleventybillion!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

03-24-2020 06:40 AM #17
      What part can't they find?

03-24-2020 07:27 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Check engine light bulb
      2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | JL Audio | Morimoto Lighting
      2015 Triumph Street Triple - Full build | 4 miles

20. Semi-n00b
      03-24-2020 12:39 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Nothing to add regarding your situation OP, that sucks...

Just wanted to ask how your driving experience has been with the TourX so far? I love the look of these! Seems like a tremendous value too.

IMO TourX > Outback x eleventybillion!
      For the most part I really enjoyed the car. I felt like it was a better value than the Outback/Crosstrek and had a more car like ride over the Subaru's. Also, I got a pretty good deal on it since the dealers really couldn't move them.

I wouldn't say it's engaging to drive. There is no sport mode on the transmission and the shifting is more geared for fuel economy. It's fully capable in the handling department but it doesn't really give you any desire to push the vehicle. I bought it knowing these limitations and not expecting it to replace the somewhat sportiness of my legacy GT. I would highly recommend it as a vehicle for long drives on straight highways or just driving around town like a normal person. Well, that's besides the parts availability issue which makes it hard to recommend at this point. haha

Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      It was the bash bar and upper/lower bumper covers. They received one cover and the bash bar about a month ago. So now just the remaining cover.
      Last edited by zachispro; 03-24-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-24-2020 01:33 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by zachispro View Post
      For the most part I really enjoyed the car. I felt like it was a better value than the Outback/Crosstrek and had a more car like ride over the Subaru's.
      Just curious, because I've been eyeing both the TourX and Outback. When you say it has a more car-like ride, do you mean smoother ride quality over bumps, or more nimble handling?
      =

22. Junior Member group captain mandrake's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Bullitt/2019 TourX
      03-24-2020 10:23 PM #21
      zachispro where do you live in Iowa? We are in Des Moines.

I bought a TourX last fall.

I have had a few XC70s, but when I decided to get a new car, I wanted something different.
      I don't like the engine noise, it sounds like a blender or a vacuum cleaner. It is the worst thing about the car in my opinion. The transmission is really good. Until you want to drive spiritedly, then it wants to be a couple of gears too high, and there are no paddle shifters. So sometimes I downshift with the console shifter which works OK.
      As a bad weather car/daily driver/road trip car it is great. Very comfortable, roomy, good seats, quiet, nice riding, yet reasonably good handling and not under powered.
      Oh, and very reasonably priced as well.

I really like this car. And when I want to hear engine music and shift for myself I drive a Mustang.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-24-2020 10:48 PM #22
      Ah yes, the qualms of owning an obscure car, old OR new.

How is this not open and shut lemon law?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      3x E6x, D3 A8
      03-25-2020 12:13 AM #23
      Why don't you ask them to source your own parts?

I rented one in EU few months ago, 6 speed, it was a blast to drive when the snail was pressurized. Was very fuel efficient and boring in low RPMs.

Overnight some EU front bumpers:

Current: 2005 V70, 2006 E350, 2010 535i, 2007 E61 x2, 2007 A8
      Past Volvos: 1996 960, 1998 S70 T5M, 1999 V70R, 2000 V70, 2004 S60R
      Past Audis: B5S4, 1990 90 2.3qm

25. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      03-25-2020 12:40 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Ah yes, the qualms of owning an obscure car, old OR new.

How is this not open and shut lemon law?
      In the USA, lemon laws are related to manufacturing defects or dealer visits within the first 12 months of ownership. Since the out of service is related to an accident then our lemon law does no apply.

An open and closed case as pertaining to 'USA lemon law'.

But replacement parts should be readily available. Perhaps VADGTI could chime in with the legalese.

26. Semi-n00b
      03-25-2020 08:59 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      Just curious, because I've been eyeing both the TourX and Outback. When you say it has a more car-like ride, do you mean smoother ride quality over bumps, or more nimble handling?
      I would say the TourX has a firmer ride and is significantly better in the handling department compared to the Outback. The ride is not as firm as what a sports car would be and is probably similar to any generic sedan like a Mazda6. The Outback has 8.7" of ground clearance where the Buick has 5.8". I think a Camry has 5.8" for perspective. So you're getting less body roll and pitching when turning/braking on the Buick which is obviously going to help in the handling department. Besides the parts issue and my awful experience with GM corporate, I'd recommend the Tourx over the Outback assuming you don't need the ground clearance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast