VWVortex.com - TourX at body shop for 4 months, GM doesn't have a timeline for parts. Suggestions?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TourX at body shop for 4 months, GM doesn't have a timeline for parts. Suggestions?

1. Semi-n00b
      03-25-2020 09:05 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by group captain mandrake View Post
      zachispro where do you live in Iowa? We are in Des Moines
      Quad Cities. Nice Car

Quote Originally Posted by alex_bgnet View Post
      Why don't you ask them to source your own parts?

I rented one in EU few months ago, 6 speed, it was a blast to drive when the snail was pressurized. Was very fuel efficient and boring in low RPMs.

Overnight some EU front bumpers:
      It kills me they didn't offer the 6 speed here. womp womp

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-25-2020 09:35 AM #27
      zachispro where do you live in Iowa? We are in Des Moines.

I bought a TourX last fall.

I have had a few XC70s, but when I decided to get a new car, I wanted something different.
      I don't like the engine noise, it sounds like a blender or a vacuum cleaner. It is the worst thing about the car in my opinion. The transmission is really good. Until you want to drive spiritedly, then it wants to be a couple of gears too high, and there are no paddle shifters. So sometimes I downshift with the console shifter which works OK.
      As a bad weather car/daily driver/road trip car it is great. Very comfortable, roomy, good seats, quiet, nice riding, yet reasonably good handling and not under powered.
      Oh, and very reasonably priced as well.

I really like this car. And when I want to hear engine music and shift for myself I drive a Mustang.
      Had to bump this thread to get those pics on page 2!

TourX is too good of a car to continue going un noticed, but it will...classic GM - making great cars that no one buys - ATS/CTS, CT6...

Wish they offered a silly plastic cladding delete or body paint option like the A4 Allroad.

Man that wagon looks good, roof rack too! Well done group captain mandrake!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

4. 03-25-2020 10:30 AM #28
      I am making the assumption the car can not safely be driven? If that is the case, you would think GM would step in with a loaner or rental. Now if the car can be driven, I would go over to the bodyshop and drive it in the wrecked condition until parts come in but ask for a credit or something during that time. It sounded like GM customer care already made a mention of payments. The only reason I say this, depending on where parts are coming from, it could be awhile especially if they are shipping anything from overseas.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Infiniti QX50, 2018 VW Golf R, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      03-25-2020 11:07 AM #29
      i don't mean to hijack the thread but wanted to mention that i'm in a similar predicament with my wife's qx50. The car was involved in a deer accident at the end of december which required replacing the driver side front and rear door panels. except one of those parts is on national backorder and, three months later, the car still isn't repaired. the main difference from OP is that the car is still drivable, so it hasn't been too much of an inconvenience for us aside from having to look at a banged up car in the garage everyday. until reading this thread, i hadn't even thought to complain to Infiniti USA, but it seems like I should have?
      Past: 2000 Infiniti I30, 2003 Infiniti G35, 2002 Mazda Tribute, 2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 2015 BMW X1

Vehicles
      '16 sti
      03-25-2020 12:08 PM #30
      man, that's a really good looking wagon.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-25-2020 12:20 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      I am making the assumption the car can not safely be driven? If that is the case, you would think GM would step in with a loaner or rental. Now if the car can be driven, I would go over to the bodyshop and drive it in the wrecked condition until parts come in but ask for a credit or something during that time. It sounded like GM customer care already made a mention of payments. The only reason I say this, depending on where parts are coming from, it could be awhile especially if they are shipping anything from overseas.
      As much as it sucks, I would be raising a stink with corporate GM and either including my state Attorney General or personal Attorney in the mix. You should be in a corporate loaner car until the problem is solved.

Another thought I just had - this situation shows that there is some potential benefit to taking your car to a body shop owned/operated by the dealership group your car was purchased from. Having a dealer on your side could be helpful in a case like this.

Good luck. I would definitely become the squeaky wheel ASAP.

8. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      03-25-2020 12:20 PM #32
      it would be a shame if it burned to the ground while at the dealership.

srsly I feel bad for you. I wish I had a good suggestion. Does your state have some type of consumer advocate?
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

Vehicles
      '16 GTI S DSG, ‘19 Tiguan SE, Felt IA16, Specialized Roubaix(RIP)
      03-25-2020 12:22 PM #33
      Is the body shop charging storage fees? Maybe it will come to the point where storage fees and rental costs add up enough to total it.

10. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-25-2020 12:24 PM #34
      At $30/day corporate rate for a rental car you've already surpassed the repair cost of the repair cost just in rental fees alone. That's crazy. Hopefully it's a nice rental car.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 05 Lexus GX470, 79 IH Scout II
      03-25-2020 02:12 PM #35
      I didn't even know this car existed, interesting.

12. 03-25-2020 02:24 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Dal97GLX View Post
      Is the body shop charging storage fees? Maybe it will come to the point where storage fees and rental costs add up enough to total it.
      This. Have body shop tell insurance the storage fees are now absurd enough to total the car.

Open a complaint with the state insurance regulator and have a lawyer fire them off a breach of contract for not repairing the car.

Start being a pain in the ass and they will start doing something about it.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      03-25-2020 02:34 PM #37
      That cars deserves to be driven. Car-part.com shows a couple of used bumpers, one in CA and one in TX.

03-25-2020 07:59 PM #38
      This is the reason I didn't buy a Pontiac G8 or Chevy SS. Limited parts after an accident.

15. Junior Member group captain mandrake's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Bullitt/2019 TourX
      03-25-2020 09:00 PM #39
      If my car got smashed in the front and getting parts was this much of a hassle, I would seriously consider turning it back into an Opel.
      There are a few threads on here https://buickforums.com/forums/forum...urx-forum.135/ about guys doing just that. Some are getting way past re-badging, like re-programming the Buick out and the Opel into all the cars electronics and infotainment. and even changing the rear lift gate puddle lamp.

Vehicles
      3x E6x, D3 A8
      03-25-2020 09:09 PM #40
      If my car got smashed in the front and getting parts was this much of a hassle, I would seriously consider turning it back into an Opel.
      There are a few threads on here https://buickforums.com/forums/forum...urx-forum.135/ about guys doing just that. Some are getting way past re-badging, like re-programming the Buick out and the Opel into all the cars electronics and infotainment. and even changing the rear lift gate puddle lamp.
      That and removing the ugly black mouldings on the fender flares.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
      Current: 2005 V70, 2006 E350, 2010 535i, 2007 E61 x2, 2007 A8
      Past Volvos: 1996 960, 1998 S70 T5M, 1999 V70R, 2000 V70, 2004 S60R
      Past Audis: B5S4, 1990 90 2.3qm

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-26-2020 05:54 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      In the USA, lemon laws are related to manufacturing defects or dealer visits within the first 12 months of ownership. Since the out of service is related to an accident then our lemon law does no apply.

An open and closed case as pertaining to 'USA lemon law'.

But replacement parts should be readily available. Perhaps VADGTI could chime in with the legalese.
      Gotcha. Didn't consider the accident aspect of it. We still have no lemon laws so it's all greener grass for me anyway.
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      At $30/day corporate rate for a rental car you've already surpassed the repair cost of the repair cost just in rental fees alone. That's crazy. Hopefully it's a nice rental car.
      I bet GM doesn't want to keep OP's car from him. They are probably more pissed that the part isn't available since they are paying out of pocket for him to rent now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

18. Semi-n00b
      03-26-2020 07:29 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Gotcha. Didn't consider the accident aspect of it. We still have no lemon laws so it's all greener grass for me anyway.

I bet GM doesn't want to keep OP's car from him. They are probably more pissed that the part isn't available since they are paying out of pocket for him to rent now.

Just to be clear, the insurance company is paying for the rental. GM hasn't offered to do anything besides give me a subscription to OnStar, XM radio, or a $100 service voucher. It's insulting how little GM has done to help out.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      03-26-2020 09:30 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by zachispro View Post

It was the bash bar and upper/lower bumper covers. They received one cover and the bash bar about a month ago. So now just the remaining cover.
      Can you drive it without that one cover?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-27-2020 02:15 PM #44
      Just to be clear, the insurance company is paying for the rental. GM hasn't offered to do anything besides give me a subscription to OnStar, XM radio, or a $100 service voucher. It's insulting how little GM has done to help out.
      Yikes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-27-2020 03:47 PM #45
      Insurance premiums on these things must be insane. I hope things work out for the OP but I also hope this serves as a warning for anyone looking to make a quirky contrarian purchase. There is value in volume and continuity.

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      Yesterday 07:21 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Ah yes, the qualms of owning an obscure car, old OR new.

How is this not open and shut lemon law?
      Not neccesarily. GM has no rear diffs for ATSs(I assume Camaro uses the same diff). People are waiting months for diffs that have been in production since 2012.

Vehicles
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      Yesterday 10:50 AM #47
      I worked a GM parts counter in 1990, the dealership had about 50 Berettas sitting in a lot behind the dealer that were waiting on a suspension part, I can't remember what it was. Some of them had been waiting for than 6 months. The customers went crazy because the dealer was getting new Berettas for sale all the time, which used the same part. GM had plenty of parts to put on new vehicles but none for warranty repairs.

Working at that place pretty much eliminated the possibility of me ever owning a GM product.

24. Junior Member group captain mandrake's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Bullitt/2019 TourX
      Yesterday 09:34 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Insurance premiums on these things must be insane. I hope things work out for the OP but I also hope this serves as a warning for anyone looking to make a quirky contrarian purchase. There is value in volume and continuity.
      My wife drives a rather ubiquitous 2017 Ford Escape. My 2019 Tourx costs $4.00 more per year for identical coverage.
      Cost of ownership is something we always research when making an automobile purchase.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 1981 Vanagon
      Today 01:51 AM #49
      Although the insurance company is not the villain here, they may be the ones that have to resolve this problem. I think the next step is to get the insurance company to buy your car. This could mean it gets written off as unrepairable, or a total loss, or......
      If they are unwilling, you may have to get an attorney to assist on this.

It is obvious that neither GM, nor PSA, nor the bumper part supplier, have any interest in producing the needed parts. And with the world wide outbreak of COVID-19, I do not see a quick resolution.
      Last edited by Alpinweiss2; Today at 07:52 AM.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

26. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      Today 02:16 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Why would insurance premiums be insane? Sense. You make none.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast