VWVortex.com - Diverter Valve Pierburg 702901050? 06H145710C?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diverter Valve Pierburg 702901050? 06H145710C?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Golf 16vT
      03-24-2020 04:49 PM #1
      Cross posting on A3 forum too.

I'm troubleshooting a P0299 on my 2011 A3 and I'm checking the diverter valve first. I've pulled mine and it has part number 702901050. I found THIS video and it appears that mine is the same as the newer 06H145710C. When I pulled it, there was a little bit of oil on the connector and on the seal inside, not sure if this is relevant.

Is my DV the same as the newer C version piston style?
      Are the newer C versions more prone to failure than the D versions?
      Is there a way to bench test the DV? I suppose I could supply voltage to the pins to see if the piston compresses, but I'm more curious about at what pressure the piston begins to compress by force.

Am I approaching this correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

*Edit*
      Applying 12v engages the piston and it holds. Releasing and applying 12v again, the piston does not engage and appears to get stuck. Since it is stuck at its rest position, this wouldn't be releasing boost, if anything it would be keeping it pressurized, am I right?

Last edited by fakename; 03-24-2020 at 05:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Golf 16vT
      03-24-2020 08:17 PM #2
      Update: I discovered the issue with my P0299 and it isn't the DV...

The DV is fine. The sticking doesn't happen when it's installed because the piston doesn't bounce back that far. It seals against the surface before the teeth on the bottom of the piston wedge into the seal (that's why it was sticking). So that's the good news. Bad news:

Next to check was the turbo itself, so I wiggled around my wastegate rod and it's super loose. Now I am fairly confident that I need a new turbo. I've seen one video of someone fixing theirs but I had anticipated putting a K04 in anyway so I'll be researching my next move.

Hope this helps someone else.

*Edit*
      Again, in the event that this is helpful for someone else, I found an 80k mile 06J145713F at a JY from a 2012 Tiguan with zero shaft play and zero wastegate play for $150 (confident that this is same part number for my 2011 A3, 5th VIN number 'F'). It also came with the same DV as mine which doesn't stick in the same way, but I don't think that matters, and came with an O2 sensor $$$! I'll put the turbo in myself but for those who don't want to, could probably find a mobile mechanic to install for $500+/- and have the whole deal done for well under $1000, way better than the dealer quoted $2600.
      Last edited by fakename; 03-25-2020 at 02:04 PM.