Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-24-2020 05:19 PM #1

Wanting fake rich buyers?

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      03-24-2020 05:42 PM #2
      In for later.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

3. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      03-24-2020 07:10 PM #3
      One other thing that gave the C230 a cheap feel was it was an unwelcomed hatchback, something a Benz buyers seem to dread along with the manual transmission that's gotta be tough to sell a lot of Benz buyers on.

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      03-24-2020 07:34 PM #4
      Is it just me or does the narrator sound disinterested, like he'd rather be anywhere else? He talks so matter of factly as to say "I'm just trying to get my check, what the hell am I talking about anyway"
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      03-24-2020 07:54 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Is it just me or does the narrator sound disinterested, like he'd rather be anywhere else? He talks so matter of factly as to say "I'm just trying to get my check, what the hell am I talking about anyway"
      Sounds pissed off for some reason.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-24-2020 08:26 PM #6
      I get what they’re trying to do, they just seem a tad pricey for what they are. The very cheapest A class right now stickers for just over $35k, and you wouldn’t want that one. If my my budget was hard capped at $40k, I think I’d get more from an Accord. If it wasn’t, the C Class starts at around $43k and is better in pretty much every way.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      03-24-2020 10:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      One other thing that gave the C230 a cheap feel was it was an unwelcomed hatchback, something a Benz buyers seem to dread along with the manual transmission that's gotta be tough to sell a lot of Benz buyers on.
      Can’t believe someone would make a video with that title now about two hatchbacks that “failed” (I mean, not really? They probably sold more than a Crosstour or Saabaru) twenty years ago, when there’s much more recent examples of M-B, Audi, and soon to be BMW succeeding in the entry-lux space. CLA changed that story forever.

8. 03-25-2020 06:54 PM #8
      When the c180/c230 debuted in the us I remember most people would say it looked "cheap" that it was an "ugly hatchback"

Nowadays i think people are a bit more accepting of hatchbacks . the first gen CLA is just as cheap looking yet most people seemed to love it though the sloping CLS-esque rear probably helped

9. 03-25-2020 11:00 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Meanwhile, they've been selling cheap cars across the world with seemingly zero issues.
      This.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      If you think a $35k A-Class is a cheap car or an average car, than a $43k C-Class can't be a luxury car. Doesn't work that way. Mercedes Benz makes luxury cars that cost $100k+, as well as construction equipment, vans, taxis, sportscars, premium family cars, and near premium small cars. Been happening for decades. I wouldn't call their growth or attempts at introducing different models in different markets "failing".
      As well as buses, semis and a wide-range of other trucks, including sanitation dump trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Agreed, this is why I don't understand why people say a C class is a "real" luxury car and a CLA isn't, when half the CLAs running around easily out-MSRP the poverty/lease spec C-classes on the road. Even an A or CLA isn't a cheap car by any means.
      To be fair, the CLA had a chinzy interior and the the current C Class was arguably the 1st compact lux sedan that had a proper lux-grade interior.

That being said, the new A Class has gotten a nicer interior (than the CLA) and the A3's interior was always closer to that of the A4 than the CLA was to the C Class.

As for the lower (failed) sales of the sub-entry Germans, that largely has to do w/ size/space - Americans want their space.

Was the major reason why the ATS failed to sell (being closer to the CLA in interior space than the C Class).
      Last edited by CP1; 03-25-2020 at 11:03 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

10. 03-26-2020 12:36 AM #10
      I like the 318ti, but that bmw 4 cylinder was an awful choice to equip it with. Really needed an inline 6.

11. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      03-26-2020 08:50 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      I like the 318ti, but that bmw 4 cylinder was an awful choice to equip it with. Really needed an inline 6.
      Should have at least given it the 2.2 I6 that was offered in the Canadian 320i at the time.

12. 03-30-2020 02:44 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      The 323ti was underappreciated and was definitely the template for the later 130i that was almost perfect as a fun every day car.