Wanting fake rich buyers?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      03-24-2020 05:42 PM #2
      In for later.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

4. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      03-24-2020 07:10 PM #3
      One other thing that gave the C230 a cheap feel was it was an unwelcomed hatchback, something a Benz buyers seem to dread along with the manual transmission that's gotta be tough to sell a lot of Benz buyers on.

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      03-24-2020 07:34 PM #4
      Is it just me or does the narrator sound disinterested, like he'd rather be anywhere else? He talks so matter of factly as to say "I'm just trying to get my check, what the hell am I talking about anyway"
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      03-24-2020 07:54 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Is it just me or does the narrator sound disinterested, like he'd rather be anywhere else? He talks so matter of factly as to say "I'm just trying to get my check, what the hell am I talking about anyway"
      Sounds pissed off for some reason.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-24-2020 08:26 PM #6
      I get what they’re trying to do, they just seem a tad pricey for what they are. The very cheapest A class right now stickers for just over $35k, and you wouldn’t want that one. If my my budget was hard capped at $40k, I think I’d get more from an Accord. If it wasn’t, the C Class starts at around $43k and is better in pretty much every way.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-24-2020 08:37 PM #7
      the BMW 318ti eventually got succeeded by the 1-series, which BMW still sold in the US, but in more US-friendly equipped with a trunk, instead of a hatch body, which is now called the 2-series.

were they technically failures? I don't think so, BMW and Benz used those cars to test the waters for the US/Canada market and went on from there.

At least we don't get:

Last edited by BsickPassat; 03-24-2020 at 08:47 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-24-2020 08:43 PM #8
      German automakers are really testing the power of their brands

I get that luxury cars in general are a bit irrational and indulgent, but I can't understand why anyone would buy a CLA or 2GC over literally anything else for the money. $299 a month for that glow in the dark 3 pointed star...................

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      03-24-2020 08:48 PM #9
      *didn’t watch the video*

I drove a BMW 318ti for about 12 years. I remember seeing the sales numbers when I was regularly on the 318ti forums and it actually sold pretty well. Sounds like they just wanted to keep an upscale image for the US and not sell cheap hatchbacks.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      03-24-2020 09:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post

I get that luxury cars in general are a bit irrational and indulgent, but I can't understand why anyone would buy a CLA or 2GC over literally anything else for the money. $299 a month for that glow in the dark 3 pointed star...................
      To be fair they are full-line manufacturers in most of their markets, not just the ultra-luxury image we have of them here.

This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

12. 03-24-2020 09:59 PM #11
      Couple notes:

Mercedes and BMW unlike many other manufacturers are not part of a conglomerate that already has other high volume, lower cost offering brands (no Smart doesn't count).

The E36 ti and C202 may have been viewed as flops in their day, but the current offerings (such as the 1 & 2 Series and A/CLA) would not be as successful especially in NA of it wasn't for the lesson learned from back then. If I can take anything from the video is that failure leads to

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      03-24-2020 10:05 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      One other thing that gave the C230 a cheap feel was it was an unwelcomed hatchback, something a Benz buyers seem to dread along with the manual transmission that's gotta be tough to sell a lot of Benz buyers on.
      Can’t believe someone would make a video with that title now about two hatchbacks that “failed” (I mean, not really? They probably sold more than a Crosstour or Saabaru) twenty years ago, when there’s much more recent examples of M-B, Audi, and soon to be BMW succeeding in the entry-lux space. CLA changed that story forever.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      03-24-2020 10:52 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      the BMW 318ti eventually got succeeded by the 1-series, which BMW still sold in the US, but in more US-friendly equipped with a trunk, instead of a hatch body, which is now called the 2-series.
      The 1er is also basically a platform mate with the E9X 3 series. They share a lot of parts and you can get the "big" engine in it, which is awesome. Interior appointments are a small step down but not really far off from the 3 series in any way that most people would notice. I dunno how that strategy or the pricing compared to the contemporary C230, but... there's a reason why I own the "cheap" BMW

15. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      03-25-2020 12:03 AM #14
      the era in which those entry level cars were first introduced also wasnt known for quality

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      03-25-2020 04:51 AM #15
      Meanwhile, they've been selling cheap cars across the world with seemingly zero issues.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      03-25-2020 05:15 AM #16
      Ahh quoting Jalopnik, eh? The pinnacle of automotive journalism..

Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      At least we don't get:

The active touring. Very popular over here. What an awful stick jab in the eye!

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      03-25-2020 07:47 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      the era in which those entry level cars were first introduced also wasnt known for quality
      That's absolutely true, with the Kompressor in particular. That said I feel like the Kompressor and 318ti have more credibility than the wrong wheel drive models today.

This was Jaguar X type's problem as well, despite the fact that the 3rd gen Mondeo was an excellent car at the time. A real luxury car isn't transverse-front drive.

299 isn't much these days. I don't blame anyone for leasing a tarted up econobox for that.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-25-2020 08:13 AM #18
      It would be interesting to hear the perspective of the brands themselves because I suspect the way us Americans view these companies is very different than how the Germans running things view them. I mean both Mercedes and BMW have a very long history of offering very low equipment and pitifully small/underpowered versions of vehicles like the C and 3. You ever ride in an E-class taxi? Not exactly a plush, luxurious experience. It doesn't really get a lot more "euro" than small and/or low spec cars with a "fancy" badge on the front.

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      03-25-2020 08:18 AM #19
      This Matrix/Vibe rip off is still on sale in Canada.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-25-2020 10:49 AM #20
      Yikes, just terrible.

They started out by seemingly understanding real luxury cars with images of Bentley, Bugatti, and Rolls Royce, and then go into making a story about a car brand selling an entry level car for 20% less than it's most popular model, and that being the leap from "luxury car" to "cheap car from a luxury brand".

If you think a $35k A-Class is a cheap car or an average car, than a $43k C-Class can't be a luxury car. Doesn't work that way. Mercedes Benz makes luxury cars that cost $100k+, as well as construction equipment, vans, taxis, sportscars, premium family cars, and near premium small cars. Been happening for decades. I wouldn't call their growth or attempts at introducing different models in different markets "failing".

22. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      03-25-2020 01:09 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      If you think a $35k A-Class is a cheap car or an average car, than a $43k C-Class can't be a luxury car. Doesn't work that way.
      Agreed, this is why I don't understand why people say a C class is a "real" luxury car and a CLA isn't, when half the CLAs running around easily out-MSRP the poverty/lease spec C-classes on the road. Even an A or CLA isn't a cheap car by any means.

23. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      03-25-2020 02:29 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      This Matrix/Vibe rip off is still on sale in Canada.
      Not anymore, 2019 was the last year and it's effectively been replaced by the A250 hatch.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-25-2020 02:38 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      I feel like the Kompressor and 318ti have more credibility than the wrong wheel drive models today.
      They do, at least among sporty car fans, not among luxury fans. I still kind of want a 318ti with some mods to make it closer to a hatchback E30 M3 for a fraction of the cost. I'm not interested in luxury though, just a simple small sports sedan/coupe. Same idea with the 944 type cars - or realistically my 86.

25. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      all the diesels, and an mg
      03-25-2020 03:49 PM #24

x2

and i had a cla lease lease through work for a while.

it was a steaming pile. but it did have a light up star!

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-25-2020 04:06 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Agreed, this is why I don't understand why people say a C class is a "real" luxury car and a CLA isn't, when half the CLAs running around easily out-MSRP the poverty/lease spec C-classes on the road. Even an A or CLA isn't a cheap car by any means.
      That price tag is why I don’t really understand those models. I take the bigger, faster, rwd C over either pretty easily. That they can cost about the same doesn’t make much sense to me. It seems like they should start at about $29k and you should be able to find them on dealer lots on the very low 30’s. Give then a little breathing room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast