Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNBC: Why BMW And Mercedes Made Cheap Cars That Failed

1. 03-25-2020 06:54 PM #26
      When the c180/c230 debuted in the us I remember most people would say it looked "cheap" that it was an "ugly hatchback"

Nowadays i think people are a bit more accepting of hatchbacks . the first gen CLA is just as cheap looking yet most people seemed to love it though the sloping CLS-esque rear probably helped

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-25-2020 11:00 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Meanwhile, they've been selling cheap cars across the world with seemingly zero issues.
      This.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      If you think a $35k A-Class is a cheap car or an average car, than a $43k C-Class can't be a luxury car. Doesn't work that way. Mercedes Benz makes luxury cars that cost $100k+, as well as construction equipment, vans, taxis, sportscars, premium family cars, and near premium small cars. Been happening for decades. I wouldn't call their growth or attempts at introducing different models in different markets "failing".
      As well as buses, semis and a wide-range of other trucks, including sanitation dump trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Agreed, this is why I don't understand why people say a C class is a "real" luxury car and a CLA isn't, when half the CLAs running around easily out-MSRP the poverty/lease spec C-classes on the road. Even an A or CLA isn't a cheap car by any means.
      To be fair, the CLA had a chinzy interior and the the current C Class was arguably the 1st compact lux sedan that had a proper lux-grade interior.

That being said, the new A Class has gotten a nicer interior (than the CLA) and the A3's interior was always closer to that of the A4 than the CLA was to the C Class.

As for the lower (failed) sales of the sub-entry Germans, that largely has to do w/ size/space - Americans want their space.

Was the major reason why the ATS failed to sell (being closer to the CLA in interior space than the C Class).
      Last edited by CP1; 03-25-2020 at 11:03 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

4. 03-26-2020 12:36 AM #28
      I like the 318ti, but that bmw 4 cylinder was an awful choice to equip it with. Really needed an inline 6.

Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      03-26-2020 08:50 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      I like the 318ti, but that bmw 4 cylinder was an awful choice to equip it with. Really needed an inline 6.
      Should have at least given it the 2.2 I6 that was offered in the Canadian 320i at the time.

6. 03-30-2020 02:44 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      The 323ti was underappreciated and was definitely the template for the later 130i that was almost perfect as a fun every day car.

7. 03-30-2020 03:54 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      the BMW 318ti eventually got succeeded by the 1-series, which BMW still sold in the US, but in more US-friendly equipped with a trunk, instead of a hatch body, which is now called the 2-series.

were they technically failures? I don't think so, BMW and Benz used those cars to test the waters for the US/Canada market and went on from there.

At least we don't get:

Typically, I like euro hatches-- throw a Golf, Megane, 308, C4, Astra, Ibiza, or Scala in front of me and I go cray cray. But this? Like the coupe SUV's, WOOF! I just can't love that. Now a 2 series coupe? Yum yum.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-30-2020 02:13 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by TSchuettinger View Post
      Typically, I like euro hatches-- throw a Golf, Megane, 308, C4, Astra, Ibiza, or Scala in front of me and I go cray cray. But this? Like the coupe SUV's, WOOF! I just can't love that. Now a 2 series coupe? Yum yum.
      The BMW little people hauler is a 2-series

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      03-30-2020 05:47 PM #33
      Fail.

They have a local perspective and overlook that all 2-drs sales were bad in North America.

The platforms they mentioned did very good thing to their brand globally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12