VWVortex.com - Phaeton Interior Light Issues - Centre Console Back Lighting, Headlight Switch, Dimmer Switch, Vent Illumination.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Phaeton Interior Light Issues - Centre Console Back Lighting, Headlight Switch, Dimmer Switch, Vent Illumination.

1. 03-24-2020 08:28 PM #1
      Hi,

I have been around on this forum now for 6 years, mainly from when I used to have Mk4 Golf's and B4 Passats. I've upgraded now to a 2006 Phaeton 3.0Tdi V6 and I absolutely love it.

However, I have a problem that I haven't seen mentioned before, and have searched high and low to see if anyone else has experienced it.

The illumination on my headlight switch, dimmer switch, vent switches and centre console aren't working, with the light switch in any position. The radio panel, instrument cluster and doors all illuminate as expected.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be? I have no idea where the back light illumination is controlled from, but as some of the lights work I'm assuming it's not the headlight switch at fault.

I have done an auto scan which I can post up tomorrow, however there aren't any faults on the instrument cluster, navigation (other than CD changer fault due to MP3 adapter) so I'm pretty stumped and not sure where to look next. Any help is massively appreciated!

I will post another thread of the car as I'm sure it will be an ongoing project!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-24-2020 08:31 PM #2
      Here are a couple of pictures of my interior showing this issue.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      03-26-2020 03:55 PM #3
      It looks like your steering wheel illumination is off. Maybe that affects those as well. I have shut off my steering wheel illumination but never checked to see if other lights went out at the same time.

If it is a problem:

I initially thought it must be a fuse but can't find any listed that protect those.

My next best guess is wiring. Maybe a connector is unplugged or a wire is shorted/grounded.

I don't think VCDS cares about illumination unless it faults out a controller.

A short would probably upset a controller but an unplugged connector for a "nice to have" feature probably wouldn't.

If it's like other VWs the illumination wires should be grey with a blue stripe.

It could also be a ground disconnected.

Do you have the Bentley manual? It has Current Flow diagrams.

You can trace back from one item (like the light switch) and see what they all have in common.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2005 MK1 Phaeton 3.0
      03-28-2020 09:37 AM #4
      Hello,
      -check first the fuses under dashboard.
      -check with vcds if light sensor it's working well

Good luck
      Non esiste non posso, esiste non voglio!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      Yesterday 12:13 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kicku View Post
      Hello,
      -check first the fuses under dashboard.
      -check with vcds if light sensor it's working well

Good luck
      Which fuse?

The downloadable fuse .pdf is in post #16 of this thread:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3001224
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; Yesterday at 12:15 AM.