Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Performance Tires

Vehicles
      S4, R32
      03-25-2020 09:21 AM #26
      whatever you do, I will recommend taking the car to Tire Rack in South Bend for installation. I was well pleased with their work and site.
      welcome to the layer cake

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-25-2020 09:24 AM #27
      I'd say if its a a street car with budget and there is frequent rain driving, conti ECS. Plus they come in smaller sizes unlike Michelins.

I wonder if I would like the Dunlop ZIII, I didn't like the ZIISS on my car.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-25-2020 09:24 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      whatever you do, I will recommend taking the car to Tire Rack in South Bend for installation. I was well pleased with their work and site.
      That’s an interesting idea. I almost dismissed it outright but it’s only 2 hours. They don’t need the car, right, just the wheels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      03-25-2020 09:26 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Which Michelin’s? The AS ones available for the S2000? Cuz I don’t think that’s the answer.
      Are the Pilot Sport 4S available in the sizes(s) you need? I know they are a performance class down from what you are asking for. But I think they are a great tire if you aren't racing competitively.

I've had Z1SS, Z2SS on my previous Miata, and the Pilot SuperSports on my BRZ. The Dunlops lasted a long time (even though they were loud), even with autocrossing and the Michelins were great at everything.

For the ND, I'm going to get a set of the Pilot Sport 4S once my OEM tires can get burned through. They should hold their own at autocross, even though they won't be at the top of the pack.

The Michelins even have a great warranty if it's a square setup (which may not apply to you).

6. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      03-25-2020 09:38 AM #30
      Definitely recommend Michelin PS4S if there is a fit. If not I've had great experiences with the BFG Sport Comp 2 that someone recommended previously.

Vehicles
      S4, R32
      03-25-2020 10:15 AM #31
      That’s an interesting idea. I almost dismissed it outright but it’s only 2 hours. They don’t need the car, right, just the wheels?
      I believe just need the wheels to mount and balance.
      welcome to the layer cake

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      03-25-2020 10:23 AM #32
      I have Conti Extreme Contact Sports on my Cayman and am super happy with them. It looks like they are available in S2000 fitment and the price is really reasonable:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0&autoModClar=

I wanted PS4S's but I just didn't want to spend the extra $500 at the time. Reviews put the Conti right up there with the Michelin and many reviews state they have better wet weather performance. My only beef with the tires is that they may have TOO MUCH grip. My car doesn't have the quick to rotate, loose, feeling it had on the admittedly smaller Conti DWS all seasons that my car came with. The car is a pure "on rails" kind of drive now, even in the most extreme cornering I'll do the tires feel like they still have grip for ages and don't make a sound.

03-25-2020 10:47 AM #33
      The reviews I've read about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 suggest they're nearly as good as a dedicated summer tire but quieter and decent in the rain.

I'm due for new tires on my Corrado (300hp VR6 and similar use case to your S2000 as I gather) soon and these reviews have me seriously thinking about the AS3. I'm so biased against that all season rating though, keeping thinking about other dedicated summer options, but keep falling short.

I'm running BFG Rivals on the Miata. This car sees multiple track days a season. Do they even make these tires anymore? This is a fantastic tire that I would absolutely recommend in the extreme summer category. The Falcon Azenis were also ok, great for on road canyon carving, but got greasy on the track and have almost zero grip in the wet.

03-25-2020 10:52 AM #34
      link to the version of the BFG Rival with most size options:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ce+Rival+S+1.5

I dont see the staggered S2000 16in sizes you need though.

square set up of 215/45/16 might be interesting.
      Last edited by corrado-correr; 03-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      03-25-2020 11:01 AM #35
      Honestly unless you're racing (like at the track) I'd go with something like the A/S3+. I ran g-force sports (no comp 2 at the time) on my car back in the day and from what I remember of my AP1 I'd chose breakaway characteristics before ultimate grip. I enjoy playing with cars at the limit though and I remember the S2000 doesn't give you a lot of warning before things let go by default. In that case I'd rather lower the limits and know more about what's going on than the other way around if that makes sense.

Track days in your future? then go with the stickiest thing you can fit why not. I run AS3+ on the 135i right now in +1 widths and I fight for traction a lot. I am at like... almost 3x the torque of the F20c though so I wouldn't think that's as much of a problem for you. It is very easy to control past the limit though, which is nice.

12. 03-25-2020 11:19 AM #36
      I can't say definitively whether the Conti ExtremeContact Sports are all they're cracked up to be, but I did put my money on them for the SS.

Not sure when I'll be able to get them mounted up at this point though.

Thoughts on the Indy 500's - I had a set on my GLI. They were better than the OEM Dunlops, but that's not saying much. I wasn't terribly impressed with their grip or wet traction. Not horrible, but I didn't think they were worth all the praise they get in some circles. I suppose they're a decent value, but if cost isn't a driving factor, I'd pass. They do look kind of cool I suppose.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      03-25-2020 11:24 AM #37
      A lot of tires in this thread aren't made in the sizes OP needs, again assuming he has factory 16's.

The extreme performance stuff is really overkill for street driving and not very good in the wet. Also louder and shorter treadlife. Performance all seasons are not my bag, would not buy personally, also do not fit the mold of a weekend summer car at all. The Conti ECS is the best all around option for an aggressively driven street car with some possible track use, by a wide margin... They're also not very expensive.

Vehicles
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      03-25-2020 11:41 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      The reviews I've read about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 suggest they're nearly as good as a dedicated summer tire but quieter and decent in the rain.
      I have PS AS3s on my TSX wagon, I would not even remotely consider them for an S2000. Not if you drive it hard. It's not enough tire.

The RE-71s have a mind numbing amount of grip. It's a brutal tire.

Also, someone asked, the staggered rears on the S wear out at roughly twice the rate as the fronts. That is from 18 years and 84k miles of owning mine.

03-25-2020 11:47 AM #39
      I just put on a set of General GMAX RS tires on the wife’s Mustang, they seemed to be well rated in the wet and the cost was super reasonable too (1K CAD shipped to my door).

I’ll know more in a month or so when I actually get to drive on them but they seem nice.
      His - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB | 17 Shelby GT350 | 87 Buick Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE
      Hers - 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-25-2020 11:49 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      I have PS AS3s on my TSX wagon, I would not even remotely consider them for an S2000. Not if you drive it hard. It's not enough tire.

The RE-71s have a mind numbing amount of grip. It's a brutal tire.

Also, someone asked, the staggered rears on the S wear out at roughly twice the rate as the fronts. That is from 18 years and 84k miles of owning mine.
      I usually buy just rears but honestly can’t remember the last time I bought fronts so I figured I’d go 4 new matching tires this time around (lots of times I’ve had to have unmatched generations, like Star Spec fronts and ZII rears just because tired went out of production before I needed to replace them).

My history is I have done Star Specs and RE01-Rs back and forth mostly and been happy with both.

Much as I don’t “need” them, I hate the thought of going down to an A/S or lower performance tire, it just doesn’t seem right for the car. I’m not a track guy but when I drive the car I do like to drive it pretty hard.

I almost never drive in the rain, and the idea of worrying about tire noise or ride stiffness in the S2000 is fairly laughable, it’s going to be loud and ride rough no matter the tire.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

17. Member
      Vehicles
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      03-25-2020 12:18 PM #41
      Starting to think about new tires for the S2000 to replace my old Direzza ZIIs. Seems like there are three options, Direzza ZIIIs, Potenza RE-71Rs, and Potenza S007As. Price spread is about $120, with S007As about $500, Direzzas about $590, and RE-71Rs about $620, all in tire rack. Money isn’t a huge concern here, but $20 is $20, so to speak.

Anyone have a reason to absolutely love or hate any of these options?
      What sizes are you wanting to run? Square setup?

Personally, from experience and tirerack + GRM data I think this is how the extreme category looks like as of this year:

"Super 200's"
      -Yoko A052: It looks as if this is going to be the tire to beat this year. They are slightly quicker than RE71R's with better heat capacity before getting greasy and last a tad longer - the trade-off is they are really expensive
      -Rival S 1.5: Probably on-par with RE71R if a tiny bit quicker. Come up to temp FAST, but tend to get greasy quick on roadcourses. Terrible rain tire (ask me how I know)
      -RE71R: Obviously, the golden 200TW standard. Only issue is now they are quite an old design (the newer RE71RS is available overseas but not here) and tend to wear fairly quickly
      -Falken RT660: New player in the game. GRM really liked them and they seem to be about as or a little quicker than RE71's.
      -Star Spec ZIII: Also pretty newer. Seem to match RE71R's or be a tad quicker.

Endurance/HPDE oriented 200's
      -Hankook RS4: Arguably these fit in the super 200 category, but they are a bit slower than above. Great HPDE/endurance tire
      -Nexen SUR4G: A decent budget HPDE tire, little slower than RS4
      -Falken RT615K+: Falkens old formula. Again, a competitor to the RS4, lots of people love them in the endurance racing world

Not sure about the SOO7A's, but it looks like they are a bit more street friendly than the above options. Again, all depends on what you're using the car for. If it's a street tire I'd say you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Extremecontact Sports or the Michelin PS4S's. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      Michelin is the only answer unless you drive like SOS.

If you do then choose the cheaper option.
      Unless you actually want to drive fast without your tires coming apart on the track.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-25-2020 12:23 PM #42
      I hated my g-Force Sports. Replaced with Direzzas (same as he has now) and wow, what a difference.

If you can get the Conti ExtremeContact Sports in your size, I'd do that. They are a bit down in performance from the PS4S, but not enough to matter for street driving. I had them on my 986S with a street performance alignment, and they were fantastic--huge step forward from the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's it came with.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-25-2020 12:24 PM #43
      I run stock/stockish sizes for the AP1, which is a staggered setup.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-25-2020 12:42 PM #44
      RE-71R is the best for performance, but they are loud. A lot of first posts after installing them are asking if something is wrong. S007A splits the difference between max performance and extreme performance and is a very reasonable if not particularly exciting choice. I haven't tried them yet, but see them as value PS4's with a little bit less street manners.

That said, if you're happy with your Dunlops now and not competing seriously in autocross, I would just keep going with Dunlop and get the Z3s. (And if you are competing, RE-71R is an easy choice).

21. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-25-2020 12:47 PM #45
      PS4S’s are great street tires. They do not stand up to track days or heavy cars, but that doesn’t sound like your S2000.

My friend ran S007A’s on his ATS-V, and while the track ate them alive, they were decent on the street.

I ran Direzzas in the past and I found that they were noisy, meh in the rain, and broke traction abruptly when they were up to temp, but then they’d get greasy easily.

RE71’s and their competitors probably won’t do you wrong, but might be overkill for your use case.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      03-25-2020 03:05 PM #46
      G-MAX AS02 or AS05 they make them on 16in wheels i had them on my G5 Gol, great tires for the price, lasted quiet a few KMs i put around 80K Kms on them i sold my car with them they still had about 25% thread on them. Pretty confident on wet pretty sticky it took quiet a bit to make them loose grip. Price wise they were really cheap, nothing compared to what Pilot Sports but quiet frankly if you are rarely going to drive it and you don't do track that much price quality is up top.

23. 03-25-2020 03:51 PM #47
      I never found the re71r that loud, especially when you compare them to the Kumho xcsta v720, those were wheel bearing bad loud. But they did get louder as they wore out, just not enough to bother me, and in an s2000, I think all the other noises it makes will probably make tire noises minimal.

About the ECS, did one autocross in them in steady rain on a concrete surface, drove them in the same style as I would drive a 200 tw in the dry, at the same event, I was within a few tenths of my dry time on the Rivals. Have not tried them in the dry, but were perfectly fine for street use. Man that made rain autocross fun

There is also the maxxis vr1 200tw tire, probably not the fastest, but it seems like a solid tire to use if you don't need a top 200tw tire.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      03-25-2020 04:15 PM #48
      RE-71s for sure if you plan on AutoX. They are worth a full second or more (an eternity in AutoX time) over the other tires mentioned here. They stick well on the track too, but can overheat. I have a set I switch to for AutoX on the Subaru and don't notice much in the way of additional noise or harshness over Michelins. I have to think the difference is even less on a convertible. They wear quick, but wear won't be as bad on an S2000 as a heavier car. I got 10k street miles and ~50 AutoX runs on my Mazdaspeed Miata, which is only a little lighter than an S2K.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-25-2020 04:18 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      I never found the re71r that loud, especially when you compare them to the Kumho xcsta v720, those were wheel bearing bad loud. But they did get louder as they wore out, just not enough to bother me, and in an s2000, I think all the other noises it makes will probably make tire noises minimal.
      Very true. Tire noise on my S2000 is the last thing I'm concerned about, and I daily drove mine (100+ mi round trip) for a couple of years. I usually have the OEM hardtop on which makes it extremely loud, but even with the soft top (up or down), there's so much mechanical noise that tire noise doesn't even register in my brain.

For my S2000, I plan to get RE71-Rs again. They're high quality, had no balancing issues, had tremendous grip, as mentioned and good steering response, and to me they suited the car's characteristics very well. For the small price difference, I think they're well worth it.

I have no idea how some of the newer tires which are aimed directly at the RE-71R are. Assuming they're the same price, maybe they're better, maybe not, but at least with the RE-71R you know what you're getting.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-25-2020 04:24 PM #50
      I’m leaning towards the Direzzas for three reasons:

-Like my ZIIs
      -$40 cheaper (not a huge deal but still nice)
      -most importantly new so when I need new rears in 2-3 years I can get more instead of the REs which will likely be on a new generation by then, and I’ll either be mismatched or have to buy 4 tires instead of 2

I’m not an auto-x guy (sorry CP) so that advantage is wasted on me.

Thanks guys appreciate all of the insight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast