VWVortex.com - [Help] 2015 tiguan issue: abs + traction control + tire pressure + no electronic parking brake lights on
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: [Help] 2015 tiguan issue: abs + traction control + tire pressure + no electronic parking brake lights on

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2015/VW/Tiguan
      03-25-2020 12:52 AM #1
      I have a 2015 tiguan, I was waiting on someone to get in the car and I sat on the break for a while (like a minute) while it was parked and in reverse. Then all of a sudden the following lights came on:

- ABS
      - Tire pressure monitor
      - No electronic parking brake
      - Traction Control System
      - No airbag

And cruise control stopped working. I called the dealership and was shocked at the quick diagnosis by phone. $350 to replace a speed sensor --- most likely. The lights then went away after 2 short trips so I was relieved. But came back tonight on an emergency trip to work.

I read several posts and the MOST useful was this one from 2016: "abs-tc-airbag-and-sai-light-all-on-and-off" (cannot post links)

It describes speed sensors and ABS rings. Inspecting them and their wiring. However, I have no idea how to perform the inspection or what I'm looking for.

Could someone help with this troubleshooting? Trying to avoid spending $350 and a 45 minute drive to the dealership each way. Would hate it if it is a simple loose wire or dirty connection / dirty ABS ring.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Phaeton v8
      03-25-2020 07:25 AM #2
      First, go to YouTube and search for “2015 VW speed sensor replacement” and watch some videos of people diagnosing and replacing this part. It doesn’t even have to be a Tiguan. Anything in this generation is going to be similar enough that you will get your head around what is required to diagnose and fix this yourself.
      Second, get a scan tool if you don’t have one already so you can pinpoint the problem. The fact that the dealership knew the most likely issue is nice but you still have four of those and replacing all four will run you over $350 (most likely). The VagCom VCDS is the top of the line but your looking at $200+ for the initial investment. OBDEleven is probably the next best choice. After that would be a nicer scan tool from a parts place (~$100 range) which may include ABS diagnostic options. Last would be a cheap wireless OBD II dongle from Amazon that you connect your phone to and use an app to scan your car.
      Third, don’t be afraid of it. The hardest part of this job will jacking the car up and getting the wheel off.
      This will probably only save you $100 or so this time if you have to buy a scan tool but that scan tool pays for itself the first time you use it.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2015/VW/Tiguan
      03-26-2020 09:54 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DugSms View Post
      First, go to YouTube and search for “2015 VW speed sensor replacement” and watch some videos of people diagnosing and replacing this part. It doesn’t even have to be a Tiguan. Anything in this generation is going to be similar enough that you will get your head around what is required to diagnose and fix this yourself.
      Second, get a scan tool if you don’t have one already so you can pinpoint the problem. The fact that the dealership knew the most likely issue is nice but you still have four of those and replacing all four will run you over $350 (most likely). The VagCom VCDS is the top of the line but your looking at $200+ for the initial investment. OBDEleven is probably the next best choice. After that would be a nicer scan tool from a parts place (~$100 range) which may include ABS diagnostic options. Last would be a cheap wireless OBD II dongle from Amazon that you connect your phone to and use an app to scan your car.
      Third, don’t be afraid of it. The hardest part of this job will jacking the car up and getting the wheel off.
      This will probably only save you $100 or so this time if you have to buy a scan tool but that scan tool pays for itself the first time you use it.
      Thank you for the advise and specifics on the tools. I've purchased the OBDeleven and will wait on that to troubleshoot.

I hope it is not a bearing issue but you're right,... jacking up the car and changing a sensor or even just cleaning it would be great.

I will try to return and post again, just waiting on the tools and some time. Luckily don't need my vehicle much with the pandemic so I am trying to fix this on my own.

Question for eternity... the VAGCOM/VCDS limiting the VIN's is sooooo annoying. I definitely would have bought it at $200 but it is so freaking gimmicky to do that to customers it made me sick and chose an inferior product instead.