VWVortex.com - Oil catch can
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Oil catch can

1. 03-25-2020 01:15 PM #1
      Hi. Somebody have an oil catch can to pcv valve?? My air intake hose it have oil inside, since I bought the car 4 years ago its been like that all the time. 2 years ago I changed pcv valve, I bought in a junkyard but was clean. Mine was gunked with oil I still have it in my garage. I want to clean the air intake hose, and maybe I install an oil catch can but dont know why
      Can someone if did this thing before, to send some pics and advices.
      best regards

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      97 GLX, AAA, '99 Jetta TDI 1.9 1Z
      03-25-2020 08:59 PM #2
      Is there something wrong with the Search function on this Board???? Also Why on earth would you put used PCV out of a junked car no less instead of buy a new one????
      Quote Originally Posted by oscar563 View Post
      VW's are like hot models...high maintenance but I just don't care
      Quote Originally Posted by jearp View Post
      zach is troll master

4. 03-25-2020 09:35 PM #3
      What's wrong with the title of this topic ??? First, be gentle and if you don't come with an advice or something get the hell out of here just dont waste time asking stupid questioning like you are the master of everything

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      97 GLX, AAA, '99 Jetta TDI 1.9 1Z
      03-25-2020 09:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Gerald-Mk3- View Post
      What's wrong with the title of this topic ??? First, be gentle and if you don't come with an advice or something get the hell out of here just dont waste time asking stupid questioning like you are the master of everything
      Ohhhh Booo Hoooo......Please. You been here long enough to know how this works. Get a clue brother.
      Quote Originally Posted by oscar563 View Post
      VW's are like hot models...high maintenance but I just don't care
      Quote Originally Posted by jearp View Post
      zach is troll master

7. 03-25-2020 09:58 PM #5
      Ok thanks for the help. brother!!!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta TDI MK3
      03-25-2020 10:06 PM #6

Dude, calm down, like 10 people come here, maybe 30 MAX a year. This forum is dead. You’re a member, not a noob, so you should know the rules and you should know how to search the decades of VAST topics including what you posted. You need to learn to curb your rage at the door or you can just enjoy no one even responding to you. You asked a really noob question about a catch can that clearly is a Band-Aid over a problem you have and you clearly do not understand what the problem is or how to fix it. There is well over 100 threads talking about catch cans, about a million videos on YouTube about it, and about a million more eBay listings for a bunch of crap you probably are going to buy from. Go somewhere else with that attitude. You ask us to be gentle but then start cursing at us???? Don’t waste our time either with your hood bling BS questions because you’re clearly not the master of anything if you can't even do a simple search here or anywhere else.

9. 03-26-2020 04:32 AM #7
      I searched on ebay, google, youtube etc etc. I am new here, I dont know how to use this tapatalk thing like members of 2000 or 2004 because im busy with other things in life. I just asked a simple question, for an oil catch can, somebody who did this to his golf mk3. Whats the matter with you guys with questioning??? You attack people like they dont know how to do their job. Of course Im patient for any answer, im not a mechanic, its my first car and I need help, that of course Im gonna find elsewhere not here! You dont know me, either that moron before you!! I didn't offendes anyone here before, but you push people to do that. If it looks stupid question to you just dont answer like somebody is doing, not leaving this maner. Even I have been in this app for 4 years, most of the time I keep un installed, and even I could be "wrong" in ways how to search here in this mega-smart asses forum, someone couls show respect! You attack someone and you wait attitude?!!! If you have anything for the topic you're welcome, otherwise watch your own business

10. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta TDI MK3
      03-26-2020 06:45 AM #8
      If you can't figure out how to install one of the most simplest and dumbest devices on your car! Seeing as you already must be an expert because you searched everywhere but must come to dead forum for an answere that does not exist but for only you, then your hopelessly doomed to rage here eternally and have an oily intake. Sorry, you can't be helped. We don't feed trolls here.

And btw there are 305 results for individual threads here when I search for "oil catch can"
      Sorry it's not in a language you can understand seeing as you must have tried to read them all!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta TDI MK3
      03-26-2020 06:51 AM #9
      Sorry. That last post of mine was probably too long for you. Here let me summarize if for you.
      If you have seen youtube videos on how to install a oil catch can, and you cant figure it out for your car, then you can not find any help here. You won't understand.

Got it!

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDI-PD, 1992 Corrado SLC (x2), 1992 Jetta GL 8v
      03-26-2020 07:42 PM #10
      Some all you're getting are needlessly salty responses, I'll try to help.

I dunno about this "putting a band-aid over a problem" nonsense, since these cars pulled oil into the intake boot from day one. It's endlessly normal to get some oil up through the breather system, it is generating a vacuum, after all. But hey, there's nothing wrong with not wanting the throttle body to get gummed up with oil and dirt, so a catch can isn't the worst idea.

You don't need to do anything particularly crazy to install one. Find a good place to mount the can, run one house from the breather valve on the valve cover to the catch can, run another hose from the catch can to the port on the intake boot. Voila, done.

As for where to mount the catch can, that entirely depends on what you get. Searching on the topic (here, Google, etc) will hopefully yield pictures that will help you decide on where and how to mount it.

That's about all I can offer on the subject, I've not owned a Mk3 so I've not attempted it myself. Good luck!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
      "We choose to Dub, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

13. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta TDI MK3
      03-26-2020 09:03 PM #11
      because

First, be gentle and if you don't come with an advice or something get the hell out of here just dont waste time asking stupid questioning like you are the master of everything

Typical troll BS
      Nothing but lies and troll BS followed by contradictory remarks
      This attitude gets little to no results.

And for the record, yes oil mist will always be entering the system but not nearly enough to make a noticeable anything other than a supper fine film on some parts and makes NO harm whatsoever. If this is a LOT of oil or enough to make a visible amount that is cause for "how can I fix this"
      THEN buy quality parts that work properly. Used CCV check valves wear out and leak. They do a darn good job at eliminating most of the offending oil mist. excess blow by from worn down engine can also cause too much oil mist regardless or a working CCV but usually shows its head at the dipstick and other places it can leak from if the valve is working properly.

Oil catch can is 100% waste of money and just a cold air intake placebo effect. If you DO have an issue with a reason that with a properly working CCV and you’re getting too much oil, then well, your engine has other issues and your money is well spent trying to figure it out or moving on.

Personally I have gone through about 7 variations of custom catch can / vapor catchers that never really did the work I wanted them to. Either they were extremely bulky or they didn’t work. From pvc with stainless wool and baffles, to swirled type pucks, maze traps, or just simple in and out with a baffle, they all over time just are one more part in the oil mists path that get to where your trying to stop it from .

THE ONLY WAY you get true results are with an exhaust venturi oil injector. CCV goes to a venturi attached 12 downstream where it’s hot enough past the 02 sensor but still gets burnt off. Never going through the engine. This is what I eventually ended up doing on my TDI.

trust me when I say, unless you pay up for some really good oil mist removal systems, like $100+, or make one yourself, a venting into the exhaust is the only way to go. catch cans fill up really fast, the vented ones stink to heck and make a huge mess, unless you drain it nearly every single week, depending on your driving habits and commute, it’s just one more thing that does a really good job at not working and eating your $.

Here
      You will thank me later.
      i still highly suggest you find out why you have so much oil your worried about it in a 20+ year old car that's worth what $1,500?

https://www.absoluteperformanceco.co...&product_id=92

14. 03-27-2020 05:11 AM #12
      Hello. Thanks for the answer, Im not wasting time with others. Of course I figured out the installation, but making a question its not a mistake! The air intake was oily always and once I changed MAF sensor because was dirty from these vapors thats why I was thinking to install an oil catch can. After saw some youtube videos and reading I understood, the only "problem" maybe will be the place where to install,but will see that. Again thanks for the answer, I never solved my car problems in forums but a good answer will lead somewhere... People judge others here, its easier for them to make judgments than to give an simple question. Anyway! Good luck to you

Vehicles
      03-27-2020 08:00 AM #13
      ...once I changed MAF sensor because was dirty from these vapors...
      The breather enters into the intake stream well after the MAF, you shouldn't be getting *any* oil contamination on it from the breather, as engine vacuum will be pulling it away from the MAF. If your MAF is getting *that* oily, something is significantly wrong and definitely needs to be figured out and addressed.

16. 03-27-2020 08:12 AM #14
      I was getting concerned, all those who has a mk3 golf have their intake hose with oil vapors ?

Vehicles
      03-27-2020 08:16 AM #15
      Not just mk3,any that vent the breather into the intake will get oily residue in the intake boot. The breather system is sucking straight from the crankcase, where the oil lives. A little bit of oil is always going to get pulled along for the ride. It shouldn't be very much, but it'll definitely be noticeable. I've never seen an intake boot that didn't look a bit wet.

18. 03-27-2020 08:26 AM #16
      Aha ok. Not its not much you know, just when you pull out the intake hose you can get your fingers dirty there. My friend's car its an opel corsa B 1.4 16v, the intake hose its very clean, I mean no oil vapors at least, and I was concerned about mine. It is working fine, the engine its still good even it has 249.000 km, I did a compression test and it has still factory values there in each piston. Just that oil in the intake concerned me, and I was thinking for the oil catch can since I was reading on the internet. Two weeks ago I changed intake manifold gaskets and it was a bit oily, I will show you a pic and you tell me how does it look to you, cause im new in those things dont know much

Vehicles
      03-27-2020 09:38 AM #17
      It's difficult to make out on my phone, but it doesn't look crazy horrible to me. It probably wouldn't hurt to give the manifold a blast with some walnut shell media and give the throttle body a good cleaning so it doesn't gum up, but if the compression is factory fresh and you're not noticing a decrease in performance, for the most part I'd say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

20. 03-27-2020 09:53 AM #18
      Yes the mechanic did a good clean to throttle body too, and after he put the new gasket, and other two gaskets on the intake manifold. Just the manifold from inside had oily vapors residue like the intake boot, and he asked me if the car consumes oil or make any smoke but no it pulls very good and sound smooth, its not a powerful engine just 1.6 makes 101hp (Euro model). Im thinking not to spent any money in oil catch can

Vehicles
      03-27-2020 04:15 PM #19
      Yes, it sounds like you are probably fine without it. My only interest in them has been preserving the throttle body, but I've never actually bothered installing one, and I've yet to have a throttle go bad.