VWVortex.com - High rpm holding when getting off gas pedal
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 13 of 13

    Thread: High rpm holding when getting off gas pedal

    1. 03-26-2020 11:18 AM #1
      19 Jetta S auto, normal driving in D, was wondering if anyone was experiencing high rpm's when getting off the gas pedal. It almost sounds and feels like a truck engine braking.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. n00b MdWolfen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 16th, 2019
      Location
      Baltimore
      Posts
      3
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta R-Line
      03-26-2020 12:05 PM #2
      Yes. '19 R-Line. It's only done it a couple times in the 14 months I've had it. I remember one time I pulled a right hand turn with some traffic coming. I gave it a lot of throttle (not floored) to get up to speed quickly. A couple seconds later I lifted off the gas but the rpm's stayed high. Stayed that way for a few seconds until I gave it throttle again. I think it stayed in a low gear and didn't shift. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing.

    4. 03-26-2020 12:12 PM #3
      Before VW bought back my R-Line I definitely experienced the same thing. TCU likely got confused from a quick floor of the gas pedal and then letting off.

      My GLI will sometimes do the same thing in auto mode if I floor it at low speed and quickly let off. I wouldn't worry about it.

      Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Dial-Up

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member cartuner08's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2011
      Location
      Lake Wales, FL
      Posts
      232
      Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 (gone)...Black '15 GTI...(gone) Tornado Red '19 GLI :D
      03-26-2020 01:13 PM #4
      I have seen this as well, albeit not while I've owned my GLI but when I had my 18 Nissan Frontier. It would only do it at times when I floored it and let off quickly, it would shift back to its normal gear a short moment afterwards though.

    7. 03-26-2020 03:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MdWolfen View Post
      Yes. '19 R-Line. It's only done it a couple times in the 14 months I've had it. I remember one time I pulled a right hand turn with some traffic coming. I gave it a lot of throttle (not floored) to get up to speed quickly. A couple seconds later I lifted off the gas but the rpm's stayed high. Stayed that way for a few seconds until I gave it throttle again. I think it stayed in a low gear and didn't shift. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing.
      This is pretty much what I am experiencing. I don't floor it, I press moderately for a bit and let go. The rpm's stay high for bit. It seems like it is happening more often, only have 6500 miles on the car. Haven't checked the wife's car yet. Hers is also a 19 S auto.

    8. 03-26-2020 03:49 PM #6
      Just checked the gf's MK2 Tiguan, it does the same thing. Likely an automatic tcu thing.

      For what it's worth, my dsg is tuned and does it. I wouldn't worry good sir. We're just confusing our transmissions.

      Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Dial-Up

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2013
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta GLI S, 1973 Beetle
      03-26-2020 06:28 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Butcher View Post
      Just checked the gf's MK2 Tiguan, it does the same thing. Likely an automatic tcu thing.

      For what it's worth, my dsg is tuned and does it. I wouldn't worry good sir. We're just confusing our transmissions.

      Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Dial-Up
      My parents Cayenne does it to. I think it's VAG automatic thing. Did you floor it enough to activate the kickdown switch? For what it's worth, my manual GLi has horrible rev hang too.

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    10. Member Laccos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2019
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      223
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35 Stage 2
      03-26-2020 09:31 PM #8
      Mine does it too. It only does it when you quickly give gas and then release just as quickly. Since doing the exhaust i find myself playing with this actually, tap the gas and get it to rev hang with some burbles. The transmission knows what i want.

    11. 03-27-2020 05:34 AM #9
      I've noticed this since day one. Truth be told, I found that a lot of the programming in these cars were. This was in the beginning. Now, I'm used to it. And, other VAG cars do this. My car also starts at 1500 RPM at cold starts and remains there for a minute before going to 800-1k RPM. It does this even in hotter weather.

      One thing I do like about the programming, which I thought to be odd at the beginning, is that the drivetrain feels rubber band-like when you accelerate from a standstill at parking lot speeds. I find it fun.

    12. 03-27-2020 09:24 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by burgsprinta View Post
      My parents Cayenne does it to. I think it's VAG automatic thing. Did you floor it enough to activate the kickdown switch? For what it's worth, my manual GLi has horrible rev hang too.

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      I do avoid flooring the pedal. Usually do not press the pedal down no more than half to accelerate, but as of late, it just seems like the rpms stay higher than usual. Still haven't been able to take out the wife car yet.

    13. 03-28-2020 12:43 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TSchuettinger View Post
      I've noticed this since day one. Truth be told, I found that a lot of the programming in these cars were. This was in the beginning. Now, I'm used to it. And, other VAG cars do this. My car also starts at 1500 RPM at cold starts and remains there for a minute before going to 800-1k RPM. It does this even in hotter weather.

      One thing I do like about the programming, which I thought to be odd at the beginning, is that the drivetrain feels rubber band-like when you accelerate from a standstill at parking lot speeds. I find it fun.
      Not after a dsg tune as far as a standstill goes. Turns into a slingshot.

      Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Dial-Up

    14. Member Laccos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2019
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      223
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35 Stage 2
      03-28-2020 11:38 AM #12
      A lot of the rubber band can be attributed to traction control being on as well. If you want to enjoy your DSG you have to go into M and turn off traction control.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2013
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta GLI S, 1973 Beetle
      03-28-2020 11:42 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Laccos View Post
      A lot of the rubber band can be attributed to traction control being on as well. If you want to enjoy your DSG you have to go into M and turn off traction control.
      Yes. 100%. Although be prepared for a lot of wheelspin, especially if you're tuned. Mine spins all the way through first even with TC on if the accelerator is more than half pressed.

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.