VWVortex.com - Vr6 timing wont match need help fast!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vr6 timing wont match need help fast!

1. 04-10-2020 01:49 PM #1
      Hi!

Can`t get timing match. Tried flip international shaft 180°, wont help. What could be wrong whit this? No slack in chains. Upper tensioner filled whit oil. When engine on tdc cams is like 1mm wrong position. When rotating engine 2mm then cam locking tool fits perfectly.

Pictures whit cam locking tool on tdc and when crank pulley marks when locking tool fits good.

https://m.imgur.com/a/fh9cSBA

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-10-2020 02:21 PM #2
      Still trying to solve this.

Could it be bad chain?

https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdis...topics/9383213

4. 04-12-2020 02:13 PM #3
      Was bad upper chain or guide.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      03 Eurovan - 02 996 - 08 & 14 MDX
      05-08-2020 12:37 PM #4
      If this is all you are off, then your timing is good. The Bentley manual states that this is within the allowed movement. You can adjust the ground crank tooth by 5mm past the case\main bearing cap line (TDC). This is to allow for wear of guides, etc. - I have an image from the manual, but I can't post it here for some reason.
      Last edited by thesynic; 05-08-2020 at 12:40 PM.

7. 05-19-2020 08:08 PM #5
      Having the same or similar issue. Help please. cam lock in place ,phasers both clocked to the left (ccw) arrows are spot on the marks. Front pully dead on, intermediate dead on as is the notched tooth to seam. Problem is the top chain will not let the intake phaser go to the stop - that then also throws off the exhaust side. This is about a half tooth I would say. Now, This is my kids Jetta and he just had the chains and guides replaced not even 1000 miles before he ran it out of oil. I picked up a low mileage BDF to get him back up and going. Using the chains and guides out of the engine he locked up. that is all, just those components from the kit. So question then becomes, does the intake phaser have to be all the way ccw? or can it be a half tooth off cw? I did try the intermediate gears from the original engine but it makes no difference. So to summarize this up. When everything is together both cam arrows are to the right of the notches by about a half tooth
      tks Bart
      Last edited by glassbuggy; 05-19-2020 at 08:19 PM.