VWVortex.com - How can I get tires shipped from Germany to the USA?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How can I get tires shipped from Germany to the USA?

2/5 of the Way from San-Fran to Port-Land
      Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      04-28-2020 07:26 PM #1
      Hi, sorry if this has been covered, if so please direct me to that conversation.

Anyway, I'm looking to get some Continental R13 tires for my MK1 Jetta restoration. However there are almost none offered in the US.

These would be ideal:

https://www.reifendirekt.com/cgi-bin...n&typ=R-362339

However they don't ship to the US. I have spent some time on Ebay.de as well. None of the dealers ship to the US.
      I found one dealer in the UK that would ship to Canada, but no one seems to ship to the US. I can't find any information on a law that would prohibit international retail tire sales.

Any tips?

I don't mind paying a couple hundred Euros to have them shipped. Private party maybe?

The only R13 continentals I have found in the US are these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165-80R13-C...3/382549576885

And that is just a little too tall and skinny for my 6.5" wide rims.

If this were easy, or the tires were widely available then it would sort of defeat the purpose I suppose, but I have my heart set on some Conti R13s as the vehicle came equipped with.
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      facebook...pfft. vwvortex baby!
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY
      My Butte Whip: 82 Jetta Build
      perpetual online swap-meet(V2.3 FSOT: GTI Ashtray)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-04-2020 01:36 AM #2
      The tire is the Continental EcoContact 6. R13 just means Radial, 13" wheel.
      I'm going to guess that Continental probably no longer manufactures a DOT legal tire in 175-70-13, hence nobody is willing to ship to the US. 165/80r13 is about 3/4 of an inch taller than stock. Not ideal, but it'd work if you just can't install anything but Contis.

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      05-04-2020 08:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      The tire is the Continental EcoContact 6. R13 just means Radial, 13" wheel.
      I'm going to guess that Continental probably no longer manufactures a DOT legal tire in 175-70-13, hence nobody is willing to ship to the US. 165/80r13 is about 3/4 of an inch taller than stock. Not ideal, but it'd work if you just can't install anything but Contis.
      Yes, I believe Ecocontact 6 is available in the US starting at R15.

I find it interesting that Europe doesn't seem to use the metric system for tire diameter. They use the same hard to read aspect ratio plus wheel diameter in inches.

Not only are 165/80 r13 an inch taller, which isn't that bad, they are extremely skinny as in the tread is not wide.

I suspect that you are correct about DOT, but can't find much information about it online. Cars can be imported. They may come with foriegn tires I imagine.

I plan to use these tires mostly for show anyway.
      Last edited by mokoosh; 05-04-2020 at 08:58 AM.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      05-04-2020 12:03 PM #4
      Not to sound like a smart a$$ but the way air fares are, you probably could fly to Europe, buy a set, and then bring them back with you. You may get a few looks, but you'll have a good story to tell the grand kids.

Vehicles
      05-04-2020 01:25 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      Not to sound like a smart a$$ but the way air fares are, you probably could fly to Europe, buy a set, and then bring them back with you. You may get a few looks, but you'll have a good story to tell the grand kids.
      The air fare may be cheap, but the testing and quarantine requirements are prohibitively expensive, otherwise; good plan.

I am also floating this:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...einen-Gefallen
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY