Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hertz is making maneuvers to avoid bankruptcy

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-06-2020 08:46 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
      Perhaps those with corporate discounts.
      Yup--exactly. As well, I don't have the pricing limitations on travel that perhaps a lot of people do. I have to say that I've loved renting 5.7L Chargers/challengers from Hertz. Even got a car with 4 miles on it once. It's literally the most painless process that can happen. Get to the rental lot, go to my section, look for something to drive, get in, and drive away. No lines, no arguing with people. You get in and go. Not that this is unique to Hertz, but I've never once had a problem. Once out of Boston, I got in at a time when there were like no cars in my section---except a Kia with bald tires. I complained and they upgraded me free of charge to a new Wrangler.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      05-06-2020 08:48 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      Who actually rents from Hertz?

They tend to be at the top for being most expensive to rent from.
      Most of the times they are +/- a couple of bucks. The biggest reason for me was that I have airline status which links to Hertz. Even though I don't rent cars that often, I got "president's circle" which allows you to pick an upgraded car and skip the check-in line. It's worth a couple of extra bucks.

4. 05-06-2020 09:03 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post
      It’s an industry that probably won’t bounce back quickly either. I hope they can find a way to ride this one out. We’re going to need rental cars again, just not right now.
      I think this may only get worse. Travel is certainly down for consumers. The other thing to think about is the way corporate america may change for ever. At my company, we have been in a travel ban but productivity and numbers are up. I have talked to friends that are fortunate to still be working and they are seeing this trend. I think business travel and rental car use could change after this. Last year, I traveled every month and rented a car on each trip. It looks like, I wont be making any of those trips and some of the customers that I would meet, we are meeting virtually. My rental car points will certainly be down

Vehicles
      05-06-2020 09:31 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      I think this may only get worse. Travel is certainly down for consumers. The other thing to think about is the way corporate america may change for ever. At my company, we have been in a travel ban but productivity and numbers are up. I have talked to friends that are fortunate to still be working and they are seeing this trend. I think business travel and rental car use could change after this. Last year, I traveled every month and rented a car on each trip. It looks like, I wont be making any of those trips and some of the customers that I would meet, we are meeting virtually. My rental car points will certainly be down
      I think there will be some changes, but to some extent corporate travel is an "investment" that only pays off later. For example, a sales person building a relationship with a client or a subject matter expert going to a conference. That sales call may not turn into a sale a year or two later, and something learned in a conference similarly may not help make an important decision until much later. For that reason, I think corporate travel will rebound eventually, but corporate austerity measures will be with us for a least another year and it will probably be 2-3 until travel is back to pre-COVID levels. All that's assuming that the global outbreak gets under control this year.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-06-2020 09:37 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      My company used to encourage travel.
      It was viewed as essential for team building, speed of decision making, and for creating a worldwide perspective amongst the employees.
      Two years ago, we started to restrict airline travel, as part of a cost saving initiative and also to lower our environmental footprint.
      Productivity actually improved and internal metrics showed an increase in employee work/life balance happiness.
      Now, with the WFH orders surrounding Covid, the initial take is productivity may have been hurt a bit during this transition period, but all indicators are showing that productivity is improving.
      Transportation costs have also obviously dropped to ZERO.
      I think we will return to work travel and working at the office, once this is all over, but travel will probably be 50% of what it used to be.

I think the trouble with trying to forecast future trends, while going through a crisis, is accounting for human behavior and desires.
      Since the dawn of personal computing, we've been hearing about the age of the "paperless office". While we probably use a lot less office paper than we did in the 1980s, we still use a lot of paper.
      During the 9/11 crisis, pundits and futurists were envisioning trending away from new skyscrapers and more working from home. That hasn't exactly happened.
      The digital era has also been promising telecommuting for decades, but we still commute to work in huge numbers.
      I think this current situation might be seen as a dip in overall behaviors about WFH, business travel etc, but human nature will likely correct itself, and put us back on the path that we were previously on pre-Covid.
      I'm rather sick of working and "living" from my house at this point, and would love to get back to the office again (but maybe not for a full 5 day week). The same for business (and personal) travel.

05-06-2020 10:29 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Hmmm, maybe they should be responsible, and have six months' expenses in savings.
      Individual humans get laid off all the time. Entire industries getting shut down has never happened before. The great depression, world wars, Vietnam, every recession - all of it had gradual decreases in business or in many cases, no change in business at home in the USA in spite of what was going on around the world. There's just nothing like this. Even after 9/11, flights were only halted for 72 hours. Business was lighter after that, but nothing in history compares to the shutdown we just did.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-06-2020 10:57 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Yup--exactly. As well, I don't have the pricing limitations on travel that perhaps a lot of people do. I have to say that I've loved renting 5.7L Chargers/challengers from Hertz. Even got a car with 4 miles on it once. It's literally the most painless process that can happen. Get to the rental lot, go to my section, look for something to drive, get in, and drive away. No lines, no arguing with people. You get in and go. Not that this is unique to Hertz, but I've never once had a problem. Once out of Boston, I got in at a time when there were like no cars in my section---except a Kia with bald tires. I complained and they upgraded me free of charge to a new Wrangler.
      The get in and go does work well; they're also pretty lenient about other sections you probably didn't even need to complain to get that. A few times before I had the president's circle (which gives you a bunch of zones) I ran into issues like that. I always just grabbed something from a section one up or one down intending to explain the situation to the agent on the way out and pay the upgrade if necessary, they never even asked about it, no charges. I'm guessing they can see if there's low inventory in a section.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric
      I think there will be some changes, but to some extent corporate travel is an "investment" that only pays off later. For example, a sales person building a relationship with a client or a subject matter expert going to a conference. That sales call may not turn into a sale a year or two later, and something learned in a conference similarly may not help make an important decision until much later. For that reason, I think corporate travel will rebound eventually, but corporate austerity measures will be with us for a least another year and it will probably be 2-3 until travel is back to pre-COVID levels. All that's assuming that the global outbreak gets under control this year.
      We're a software company and have been doing a lot of WebEx and Zoom stuff lately; we've got a lot of experience with that but are doing far more than usual and more than we would be able to reasonably travel to. But to your point, long term I'm sure our sales team won't be able to close nearly as many sales from those leads. The way I see it, over web, you can convey the raw information as well, but you can't build the business relationship as well. When people purchase something, they want to have confidence that it will do what they need and know who they're dealing with. That is just soo much more effectively accomplished in person.

If travel doesn't bounce back eventually, a lot of business will have a lot of adapting to do.

05-06-2020 10:59 AM #33
      Funny this thread came up today, I just gont an email that from Hertz that they are extending my Presidents Circle status till 2022, and all points set to expire this month are extended till the end of this year.

I have to use Hertz due to company policy, but what I like about it when it comes to using it for personal travel is it's relatively cheap due to my status. I booked the cheapest compact car for $10-20 per day, then just take what ever is in the Presidents Circle lot. Car selection is decent in general.

05-06-2020 11:20 AM #34
      In regards to the buying a rental car, I had heard that they are built on a different line than those destined for retail sales. The person who told me that said they also put less sound deadening in them as well. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 18 JLU Sport | 13 Altima | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      05-06-2020 11:25 AM #35
      Whoa. They’re currently having a fire sale of their inventory.

20+ 2019 BMW 740’s available with under 25k miles for $39-40k

12. Senior Member
      05-06-2020 11:41 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      In regards to the buying a rental car, I had heard that they are built on a different line than those destined for retail sales. The person who told me that said they also put less sound deadening in them as well. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Chris
      Yes and no.

My experience comes from my shop landlord who sells used cars and deals with a lot of ex rentals, mostly enterprise. He usually has 2-3 at anytime he and his wife are driving and one for sale, the rest are him finding cars for people.

I haven't heard anything to confirm or deny something like a second assembly line or less sound deadening. The second assembly line sounds like there would be no truth to that, less sound deadening maybe but seems like an odd change.

What I have seen is weird specs, mostly things that would add cost to a car that would be in a rental fleet and need to be fixed like a mirror getting knocked off. He has bought a few cars that should have had standard blind spot or lane departure warning.. and they don't. He also got a Cadillac about 2 year ago that based on the vin should have had parking sensors but didn't exist in either the front or rear bumpers. His contact at enterprise said the car didn't show any history of them being replaced (they seem good with disclosing that). Enterprise actually paid to have the correct bumpers put on, everything was there ready to wire in behind the bumpers.

13. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-06-2020 11:42 AM #37

Chris
      I'd call that a bunch of hooey, however large fleet buyers do have the option to spec their cars as they like and will often mix/match options so your fleet Ford Fusion Titanium might no necessarily match a retail Ford Fusion Titanium. Case in point...

Enterprise Rent-A-Car, the nation's largest private buyer of new cars and seller of used ones, is in hot water today after the company chose to remove a standard safety feature -- side-curtain airbags -- from thousands of Chevrolet Impala fleet vehicles and then sold them on the open market without disclosing the alteration. *** Why remove them? Enterprise says the cost-shaving maneuver saved the company $175 for each Impala, or about $11.5 million total. The move "does not violate any federal mandate", the Star reports Enterprise as stating.
      https://www.zdnet.com/article/enterp...orm-customers/

^Note when they say "remove them" they really mean no order the cars with them.

Speaking of which, my National Exec status was extended to 02/2022 which is cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

14. Senior Member
      05-06-2020 11:44 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Whoa. They’re currently having a fire sale of their inventory.

20+ 2019 BMW 740’s available with under 25k miles for $39-40k
      That doesn't sound too far off what Enterprise was dumping some for when I saw the list last week, but those were wholesale of course.

Vehicles
      05-06-2020 11:57 AM #39

Chris
      That's obviously going to depend on what you are buying. There are "rental spec" vehicles that aren't sold at retail, sometimes based on old discontinued models (chevy Captiva). There are also things like removal of "standard" options. But on models less dependent on fleet sales, I can't imagine it's worth the expense of a second line or specifically removing things like sound deadening. I've certainly gotten rental cars that aren't base spec at all.

05-06-2020 12:24 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I'd call that a bunch of hooey, however large fleet buyers do have the option to spec their cars as they like and will often mix/match options so your fleet Ford Fusion Titanium might no necessarily match a retail Ford Fusion Titanium. Case in point...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/enterp...orm-customers/

^Note when they say "remove them" they really mean no order the cars with them.

Speaking of which, my National Exec status was extended to 02/2022 which is cool.
      I still remember getting "upgraded" to a Buick LaSebre at Enterprise many years ago. When I got in the car to adjust the seats and mirrors, I found out that it didn't have power adjustable mirrors - I had to reach all the way across the passenger seats to adjust the right side mirror This was in the early 2000s when those things were already pretty much standard across the board even on cheap cars, and of course I knew retail LaSebre had them.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-06-2020 12:35 PM #41

Chris
      It's no secret that automakers have fleet-only vehicles, like the Crown Vic which lived on much longer for fleets than consumer sales. As mentioned above, rental cars sometimes have weird equipment options as well that you wouldn't find on a lot. A whole line seems like a stretch to be able to offer that kind of stuff though. Personally, we had a Jetta that was a rental car, and in ~10 years of ownership where I did all of the wrenching, not once did I find anything to suggest it was different from any other Jetta. Most out of place thing I found was a rosary that a renter had lost inside the center console.

Overall, I'll guess anyone that would know enough to affirmatively say one way or another probably has some sort of employment agreement or NDA that would prevent them.

18. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-06-2020 12:41 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Love that show. I never said "to be fair" until they made such a deal out of it. Started out ironically but now I just actually say it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-06-2020 01:02 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      I still remember getting "upgraded" to a Buick LaSebre at Enterprise many years ago. When I got in the car to adjust the seats and mirrors, I found out that it didn't have power adjustable mirrors - I had to reach all the way across the passenger seats to adjust the right side mirror This was in the early 2000s when those things were already pretty much standard across the board even on cheap cars, and of course I knew retail LaSebre had them.
      Damn! How did you survive that?

05-06-2020 01:38 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Damn! How did you survive that?
      I had two cars with non-power mirrors. It was stupid because unless you had a friend with you, it took absolutely forever to get the mirror adjusted just right because they would always stick and pop position, especially the ones with the tiny joystick inside the car once it was old and gummed up or whatever. So you'd spend forever looking in the mirror, guessing how much to adjust it, then trying to get the joystick to make it move one way, but it dragged it higher/lower when trying to go left-right, and possibly overshoot the original adjustment while getting off axis. The ones with no joystick, you had to just push on the glass itself and generally you can't do that from the driver's seat. So you had to get out of the car, walk around, push on one side, get back in the car and sit, get positioned right, then make a guess on the next adjustment. Inevitably you'd set off and realize once in traffic where there's proper lane markings that it's still not really adjusted right from what you did in the parking lot. I hated manual mirrors on the passenger side.

Vehicles
      mk6 CW GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      05-06-2020 01:52 PM #45
      soooo will these 750HP monsters be for sale soon?

praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Vehicles
      05-06-2020 01:53 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I had two cars with non-power mirrors. It was stupid because unless you had a friend with you, it took absolutely forever to get the mirror adjusted just right because they would always stick and pop position, especially the ones with the tiny joystick inside the car once it was old and gummed up or whatever. So you'd spend forever looking in the mirror, guessing how much to adjust it, then trying to get the joystick to make it move one way, but it dragged it higher/lower when trying to go left-right, and possibly overshoot the original adjustment while getting off axis. The ones with no joystick, you had to just push on the glass itself and generally you can't do that from the driver's seat. So you had to get out of the car, walk around, push on one side, get back in the car and sit, get positioned right, then make a guess on the next adjustment. Inevitably you'd set off and realize once in traffic where there's proper lane markings that it's still not really adjusted right from what you did in the parking lot. I hated manual mirrors on the passenger side.
      It wasn't that long ago that mirrors had to be adjusted OUTSIDE the car (if they were even adjustable)

05-06-2020 02:06 PM #47
      Well I definitely feel for anyone who's livelihood is threatened by this. The whole travel industry is taking such a massive hit. Of course with the past decades focus turning from competing by offering superior services to competing by extorting more fees from consumers (while continuing to cater to business traveler), I don't think many will mourn the pain of rentals, hotels and airlines.

It's just crazy to look at how abrupt this has turned from overall solid economic footing to a seemingly bottomless chasm.

Our corporate travel tried to go "only" Hertz about 6 or 8 years ago. First trip I took with them they did not have a car to fulfill my reservation, but offered an expensive upgrade to a Mercedes they had on hand. That was the last time I booked them when they were not the literal only option available. I'll typically rent 10-30 times a year in US and DE, and find that National usually has a better selection and better service.
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      05-06-2020 03:07 PM #48
      I remember Hertz used to be, or at least felt higher end than the other rental car companies. Growing up in the '90s, my folks used to rent from Hertz when we were on vacation because of the corporate relationship between IBM and Hertz. Cars usually had <10,000 miles on them, were almost always Fords/Mercurys or FoMoCo affiliates, and always mid-level trim levels when others were rocking base models. Yeah, upper level stuff But even still, they were always new (same or next model year) and in great condition.

At some point, they seemed to go down hill, and others started marginally improving. I worked for Enterprise in the mid-aughts and while there were definitely some stereotypical rental car practices - they kept a good amount of their units until 40K miles, bought used units from other rental car companies, etc. - but there were also attempts to keep newer/particular units in certain areas and improve the fleet overall. I've noticed that in the past 5-8 years when I've rented with them as a consumer, they've definitely upped the quality of service. Same with National (used to rent with them a bunch too) - never had a terrible experience with them.

My last Hertz rental was an emergency rental at JFK or LGA (can't remember which) because my flight was diverted. They gave me a Camry that was in pretty rough shape (dents, scrapes, interior was disgusting) and wouldn't switch me out into anything else. The kicker was it also had expired plates, which the person at the counter told me was "not my problem." That and their non-competitive pricing have kept me from being a customer (that and now my corporate discount with Avis).

Avis is another one that I feel has fallen significantly since the 90's. They used to essentially be the GM-equivalent to Hertz, because for a while they had an all-GM fleet. I rent with Avis now because corporate discount, but their cars have all been hit or miss. Had some embarrassing quality problems on some 'luxury' rentals (Mustang 'vert, Chrysler 300) and a Camry with a drivers window that only rolled down halfway (wonder what kind of drugs were stuffed in the door?) and some cheap replacement tires by the time the car rolled 8K on the odometer.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      05-06-2020 05:39 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Problem solved/

Somewhat OT, but is that a late '90s Escort?

05-06-2020 06:13 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by IJM View Post
      Somewhat OT, but is that a late '90s Escort?
      Can't tell... could be a bourgeois Mercury Tracer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast