VWVortex.com - Rumormill: Nissan to leave Europe to focus on US, China, and Japan...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumormill: Nissan to leave Europe to focus on US, China, and Japan...

Vehicles
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      05-06-2020 05:03 PM #1
      Sad news indeed. Hopefully not a ROZAP.

(Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co Ltd (7201.T) will pull back from Europe and elsewhere to focus on the United States, China and Japan under a plan that represents a new strategic direction for the embattled carmaker, people with direct knowledge of the plan told Reuters.

The “operational performance plan” is due to be announced on May 28 and goes beyond fixing problems from ousted leader Carlos Ghosn’s aggressive expansion drive, the people said.

Pursuit of market share, particularly in the United States, led to steep discounting and a cheapened brand. Under the new, three-year plan - reported here for the first time - Nissan aims to restore dealer ties and refresh lineups to regain pricing power and profitability, the people told Reuters.

“This is not just a cost-cutting plan. We’re rationalising operations, reprioritising and refocusing our business to plant seeds for the future,” one of the people said.

The plan also aims to cut competition and expand cooperation with alliance partners, the people said. Nissan will follow Mitsubishi Motors Corp (7211.T) in plug-in electric hybrid vehicle technology, with the smaller peer taking the lead in Asian markets outside China and Japan. France’s Renault SA (RENA.PA) will likely focus on electrical vehicle technologies and Europe.

Nissan and Mitsubishi declined to comment. Renault did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The plan, led mainly by Chief Operating Officer Ashwani Gupta rather than Nissan’s low-key chief executive, Makoto Uchida, is aimed at freeing resources to invest in products and technology for the United States, China and Japan, the people said.

“The net effect is even though we reduce our R&D spend this year versus last year and make other savings, we pump those freed-up resources back into core markets and core products,” said one of the people, who declined to be identified as they were not authorised to speak with media on the matter.

The plan is likely to take up to two weeks to be finalised, with sales and earnings targets complicated by the anticipated long-term impact on auto sales of government measures worldwide taken to stop the coronavirus outbreak, the people said.

In July, Nissan targeted an operating margin of 6% on revenue of 14.5 trillion yen ($135.83 billion) by March 2023, versus 3% and 13 trillion yen forecast at the time for the year ended March 2020 - the results of which are scheduled for release later this month. Management has since changed, with Uchida and Gupata appointed in December.
      https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN22G0XD

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 05-06-2020 at 05:15 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      05-06-2020 05:16 PM #2
      Good, I hope they break up with piece of **** Renault and start making honest, good Japanese designed vehicles like they used to.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-06-2020 05:16 PM #3
      Makes sense. If they sell the same cars as over here, I don't see their products working well in europe. I don't remember the last time I've seen a review of a nissan that's not a gtr in the standard british car mags.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-06-2020 05:20 PM #4
      It makes sense, especially as Renault is struggling, as was the case pre-COVID. This let's the alliance to focus more on Renault in Europe. Curious what they'll do with the Qashqai (Rogue Sport) as it's typically a 10-Best seller in many European countries.

6. 05-06-2020 05:32 PM #5
      Wasnt the MICRA made for the european market? is it liked over there or basically another cheapo econobox?

Vehicles
      05-06-2020 05:34 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Good, I hope they break up with piece of **** Renault and start making honest, good Japanese designed vehicles like they used to.

Bring back the Stanza Wagon!!!

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      05-06-2020 05:36 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Yeah, although I REALLY loved Nissan back in 2003/2004, the then new Maxima, 350z, Murano, Quest all incredibly ahead of their times.

They desperately need a back to basics, new engines, new transmission (urgently) ideology that takes them away from being the Japanese Chevrolet. Seriously, the Titan and that god-awful NV3500 or whatever are just ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the ancient Frontier still on sale.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      05-06-2020 05:38 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Wasnt the MICRA made for the european market? is it liked over there or basically another cheapo econobox?
      The Micra is actually sold in Canada too, albeit still on the previous generation probably for $$$ reasons.

I was expecting cheapo Econo, and was actually...really surprised? The SR trim especially. I mean it isn't much but I found it EONS ahead of the Fiat 500, and you get 2 extra doors. Not a bad little car.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-06-2020 06:10 PM #9
      Why is this a bad news? Just like any battle/war... if you are losing, retreat, regroup and fight again in future.
      Last edited by Avus; 05-06-2020 at 06:12 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

05-06-2020 06:27 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      It makes sense, especially as Renault is struggling, as was the case pre-COVID. This let's the alliance to focus more on Renault in Europe. Curious what they'll do with the Qashqai (Rogue Sport) as it's typically a 10-Best seller in many European countries.
      Qashqai sells pretty well all over Europe but it is made in the UK. With Britex, this is going to be a nightmare going forward and this is probably the biggest reason why Nissan is thinking of leaving Europe. Nissan's other manufacturing plant in the region is in Spain but it is a much smaller facility that mainly builds Navara pickup. To convert that plant to build cars will probably cost too much money.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-06-2020 06:29 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Qashqai sells pretty well all over Europe but it is made in the UK. With Britex, this is going to be a nightmare going forward and this is probably the biggest reason why Nissan is thinking of leaving Europe. Nissan's other manufacturing plant in the region is in Spain but it is a much smaller facility that mainly builds Navara pickup. To convert that plant to build cars will probably cost too much money.
      I remember Nissan pickup in Europe have serious frame problem.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      05-06-2020 06:34 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      My thought as well. A little surprised of this news.

With Infiniti sales falling flat on it's nose, I'm curious what Nissan has in it's plans. Not aware of any new products for Infiniti in the upcoming future.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-06-2020 07:08 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Why is this a bad news? Just like any battle/war... if you are losing, retreat, regroup and fight again in future.
      Yea I thought OP was in the US, what does he care about Nissans in Europe

I think it's a good idea.... stop throwing good money after the bad in the name of volume/market share. Better to make $2 off of $10 than $5 off $1000 or w/e.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      05-06-2020 07:26 PM #14
      Is the US market Rogue Sport imported from Japan, UK or somewhere else (Mexico)?
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-06-2020 07:34 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Makes sense. If they sell the same cars as over here, I don't see their products working well in europe. I don't remember the last time I've seen a review of a nissan that's not a gtr in the standard british car mags.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      They vehicles they offer in Europe and the US are the Leaf, Qashqai, Z, and GT-R.
      Last edited by robr2; 05-06-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Vehicles
      05-06-2020 07:37 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Is the US market Rogue Sport imported from Japan, UK or somewhere else (Mexico)?
      They are made in the UK, China, Russia, and Japan. Looking at inventory at a local dealer, all have J VINs.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-06-2020 08:13 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      They are made in the UK, China, Russia, and Japan. Looking at inventory at a local dealer, all have J VINs.
      I suppose importing them from Japan would be too expensive (nevermind overnighting them ), and is Europe not ready for a Chinese or Russian made vehicle, or are there tariffs at play there?

Either way, it seems like a big thing to give up.

19. 05-06-2020 08:24 PM #18
      Yeah, the Qashqai pretty much keeps Nissan Europe afloat.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      05-06-2020 10:09 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post

Bring back the Stanza Wagon!!!
      Tony Stanza

21. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-06-2020 10:55 PM #20
      Good. They've made nothing but boring fleet cars and long in the tooth sports cars for a long time. Last game changer they had was the LEAF, and that was almost a decade ago.

Regroup, succeed in key markets, and don't have the decree from the CEO to be bigger than Honda at all costs. It destroyed their model line up, and their dealers in North America.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

05-06-2020 11:28 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      They vehicles they offer in Europe and the US are the Leaf, Qashqai, Z, and GT-R.
      There are a few more... Juke, X-Trail (Rogue), and NV200 are also offered on both sides of Atlantic. And Micra (March) is offered in Canada and Mexico and Europe but not US.

Nissan's Europe line up:
      Micra
      Leaf
      350Z
      GT-R

Juke
      Qashqai
      X-Trail

Navara
      NV200
      NV300 (Renault Trafic)
      NV400 (Renault Master)

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      05-07-2020 06:39 AM #22
      I don't even know the last time I saw a Nissan anywhere around here.

No loss.

Vehicles
      05-07-2020 09:27 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Yea I thought OP was in the US, what does he care about Nissans in Europe

I think it's a good idea.... stop throwing good money after the bad in the name of volume/market share. Better to make $2 off of $10 than $5 off $1000 or w/e.
      I'm in Texas. This announcement matters since Europe is (and still is) the third largest market for cars. It's quite interesting, since they've brought back Datsun for Russia, India, and African markets as a budget brand to increase market share. Perhaps some Nissans will wear Renault badge and still sold through Renault franchise. Renault Leaf, anyone?

It's also interesting to see Korean cars continuing to build momentum in Europe, when Nissan cars are retreating.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 05-07-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Vehicles
      05-07-2020 11:16 AM #24
      There are a few more... Juke, X-Trail (Rogue), and NV200 are also offered on both sides of Atlantic. And Micra (March) is offered in Canada and Mexico and Europe but not US.

Nissan's Europe line up:
      Micra
      Leaf
      350Z
      GT-R

Juke
      Qashqai
      X-Trail

Navara
      NV200
      NV300 (Renault Trafic)
      NV400 (Renault Master)
      Juke is no longer offered in the US. I didn't realize the X-Trail was the Rogue. The NV is well the NV - nobody really cares.

I think the poster I replied to was referring more to the sedans - Sentra, Altima, Maxima. It's interesting that Nissan doesn't offer any mainstream sedans in Europe.

26. 05-07-2020 12:52 PM #25
      This is a smart move for reasons posted above:
      • Similar moves were made by other car companies in the last few years
      • Lets Nissan focus on its core markets
      • Lets Renault keep doing well in Europe

If they can rebrand the Quashqai as a Renault somehow, then the alliance will be ok... but the alliance doesn't really allow for badge engineering.

Honestly though, I think the alliance needs a major restructuring to be more of a merger and without the French state being a part of it, but those are even higher level discussions than this market shift move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast