VWVortex.com - Vacuum pump leak. Repair? Replace? Air conditioning
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vacuum pump leak. Repair? Replace? Air conditioning

1. 05-07-2020 07:22 PM #1
      2.5l manual Jetta 140k 2011
      New oil leak. Dealer reports it as vacuum pump but i haven't checked yet. I see that it's a common problem and there are replacement gaskets and I'm leaning towards that option. BUT, could replacing the vacuum pump improve air conditioning in any way???

this car has always had trouble creating cold with the ac. It's been checked and refilled with refrigerant twice, no known leaks. It does cool down a bit when reved up and moving down the road, but it's warm at idle. Are they related on this car? Some have done the delete and report no ill effect on breaking, but what about AC efficiency?.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-07-2020 07:31 PM #2
      A/C is weak in this engine, frustrating but that's just how it is for most of us.

I'd recommend the spulen vacuum delete kit, but if it's too pricey then there's replacement gasket kits that work ok for a little while. I think they're $40 or so on Amazon vs the 120 or so for the delete kit. I've been perfectly content with my delete kit for 70k+ miles.

All that said, unless it's really annoying to you, and the oil leak is actually dripping on the ground, your cheapest option is to just add oil as necessary

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      09 JSW SE 2.5 5 speed 153k
      08 Jetta S 2.5 5 speed 238,000 miles on the original clutch, lost to black ice

Vehicles
      Gen VI VW
      05-08-2020 02:10 PM #3
      Delete or replacement gasket set is not to difficult with lots of how-to videos out there to consult. You say "It's been checked and refilled with refrigerant twice, no known leaks." but if it's been refilled then you do seem to have a leak I would say. This is probably a Clutchless Variable Displacement Compressor and it's operation may be unfamiliar to a less experienced shop. Have it checked by someplace appropriate. No the vacuum pump has no affect on the AC.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-08-2020 02:43 PM #4
      Thank you greatly for the advice. Good to know that the vacuum pump has no effect on AC. I had the refrigerant filled by the dealer. They said they didn't see anything visually wrong with the system, and they wanted to charge me $$$ to do an in-depth inspection. No thanks to that.

7. 05-08-2020 04:38 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by chadweis View Post
      Thank you greatly for the advice. Good to know that the vacuum pump has no effect on AC. I had the refrigerant filled by the dealer. They said they didn't see anything visually wrong with the system, and they wanted to charge me $$$ to do an in-depth inspection. No thanks to that.
      If you have a reputable local shop they can charge the AC with a dye that will show leaks. I believe the dye is spotted using a black-light, if there is a leak. I had another vehicle done with this method and the leak was in an elbow on a hard line. Would hever have found the leak otherwise.

Vehicles
      2012 JSW 2.5
      05-09-2020 11:02 AM #6
      I'm with jethead102 on deleting the VP when it fails. It is one less part to fail and the main reason I chose the 2.5 NA was reliability.

When the time comes for mine, I am going to use the method that "le0n" described in this post using the IE block off plate: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...um-pump-delete

The lower price of the IE plate with fittings and, to a lesser degree, using high pressure fuel hose instead of silicone hose are more appealing to me than the Spulen kit.

That said, having the Spulen kit does simplify the process, especially before so many helpful DiY posts were available.

Either way you go, no VP no VP problems

Vehicles
      2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L M/T
      05-23-2020 12:42 AM #7
      Vacuum pump delete is the way to go, there’s really no reason to keep it. It’s expensive to replace, doesn’t last long with the reseal kits, and robs hp by just being there(like 1-2 but nonetheless). There’s the spulen kit, the spulen blockoff plate(just the plate from the spulen kit), and the IE(integrated engineering) blockoff plate. The last two options you have to figure out how to get vacuum back to the brake booster. As mentioned before on here le0n has probably the best way to do it (it’s linked on a previous post here). Lots of videos online on how to install the spulen kit if you go that route(what I personally got) for my rabbit).

The vacuum pump is there to provide vacuum for the brakes because Vw decided it needs more vacuum than the engine can provide at some point or another. It has no effect on A/C function whatsover.

One thing I can suggest for improving the AC is replacing the AC refrigerant regulator valve in the compressor. It takes like 15 mins(kind of a PITA location tho, you can also change it after removing the compressor but that makes it an hour job for no real reason). You can find it online easily for $40-70 and then get the system recharged after. I can not guarantee it’ll fix the AC, but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the compressor(dealer and most shop’s answer to the mk5 AC repair). It’s something else you can try to see if it helps and as you already said, it’s been recharged already with no difference. Also look around the forum, it’s a known fact they fail on almost all mk5 Jetta/golf/rabbits.

As already mentioned here AC on these cars is kinda weak from the factory, so if that doesn’t help you just kinda have to deal with it after that.