VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Engine swap advice 1982 RABBIT

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  fastinradford 
#1 ·
I have a 1982 rabbit convertible and I’m thinking about potentially doing an engine swap or an engine rebuild. Anyone who has experience with a swap or rebuild please let me know any common issues that you have experienced.

My goal: I want to achieve at least 180 horsepower from a 1.8t or around 150 from a rebuild.

The engine swaps I’d like to do are the 1.8t From a Audi TT which are the 180 and the 225, or from a MK4 GTI. What are some common mistakes that I can avoid and what parts would I need (besides the engine obviously and O2A/J trans).

I’m not too familiar with engine rebuilds on the MK1 rabbits. I would like to turbocharge/supercharge if possible and get up to around 150 hp. What parts would you guys recommend I get for a rebuild and what common problems can I avoid when doing this?

Please let me know which route I should take and also which might be the best bang for my buck considering I’m a 17 year old.

THANKS IN ADVANCED! STAY SAFE OUT THERE

#2 ·
Considering your age.
Do. Not. Do. This. Swap.

Leave it stock.
A 90hp mk1 is plenty fast enough to kill yourself.

You do not have any idea how insane a 160hp mk1 is.

You are young.
You don’t need a race car.

Swapping a car is a lot of work. And after you do it, everything becomes more complex as you gotta remember what is stock, or what is swapped from another car or aftermarket supplier.

Leave it stock young one.

But keep searching.

When you no longer ask basic question. ...
That will be when you are ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.