VWVortex.com - Surface Pro Tablet forgets how to copy/paste
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Surface Pro Tablet forgets how to copy/paste

1. 05-13-2020 09:13 AM #1
      Folks, I really could use your advise on this.

My work computers is a Surface Pro Tablet (8gb RAM). So I am NOT an admin, just a user.

Ever since I have had it I noticed a few things a bit off on it.

1) After about 48 hours of use, it forgets how to copy/paste, at first I thought it was only an Excel and Word Problem, then I realized it will not do so in Outlook either. This makes the device unusable without restart (which fixes it) for another 48 hours hours.
      2) Contacted IT, they said, "Don't use Word and Excel so much or get used to restarting every 48 hours", that does not allow me to function in my role.
      3) I have to keep a log of WHEN i restarted the machine to make sure that I don't go over 48 hours without a restart, else I might be in the middle of a call and the device will start acting up.
      4) There are other symptoms:
      If have existing calendar invites (sent via MS Teams or WebEx), they just disappear from the outlook invite body. No dial in no link to join. Then I have to scramble asking my team mates to EMAIL the text to me just so that I can join a call.

Is this normal for a Surface Tablet?

Please advise.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 Explorer
      05-13-2020 09:51 AM #2
      Definitely not normal.

When you say copy/paste doesn't work, do you mean via ctrl-c and ctrl-v or right click copy, right click paste? What happens when you try whichever method you were using and it doesn't work?
      °.lllllll.° - Gone but not forgotten

4. 05-14-2020 07:41 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
      Definitely not normal.

When you say copy/paste doesn't work, do you mean via ctrl-c and ctrl-v or right click copy, right click paste? What happens when you try whichever method you were using and it doesn't work?
      Literally nothing, once it "forgets", I can cntrl-C/V all day long it will do nothing.

With right click "Copy", you can always click on that option icon...but when it's time to paste..either the "Paste" icon is grayed out or even if it is available...it does nothing.

The part that spooks me is when it's time to join a call...and I want to see the dial in/WebEx link in the outlook invite and that too is gone, its just a blank invite. Closing and restarting outlook does not help.

The only solution is full restart of the device, which is crazy.

Vehicles
      2017 Explorer
      05-14-2020 09:20 AM #4
      Not sure what your current setup is with regards to being in the office or WFH and access to IT, but as someone who runs an IT department, that's not cool on their side.

Does the copy/paste not work in anything, or only Office? Either way, you should push your boss to push IT to re-image your system. You might be able to fix it with a repair install of Office, but a re-image would be by far the quickest. And if you have one, make sure you're submitting your requests through the ticketing system, that will help you track the requests to show that you've done your side properly.
      °.lllllll.° - Gone but not forgotten

6. 05-15-2020 08:21 AM #5
      Yes, we have a ticketing system (incident # log). I have escalated the matter, let see what they can do.

Thank you for confirming that this is not a normal behavior for a device and I am not crazy to push back on this.

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      05-20-2020 01:03 AM #6
      If it's running windows, check and see on the task manager if you can find the rdclip.exe, it's the service that makes windows copy and paste. We go through that sometimes with some servers that users use as their end computer (stupid i know but we have been fighting them with that) i usually just end task, open windows>system32>rdclip.exe and boom back in business.

Tell your it admins to patch them, and check their installation it is definitely not something you should see often, or maybe some sort of Anti Virus is flagging that service due to constant use, i've seen some crazy things done by anti virus due to constant use of certain programs.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
      While I appreciate the sentiment, it's important to remember that heroism and stupidity are often confused, but not synonymous.