VWVortex.com - GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non?

Vehicles
      2014 Lexus LS460, 2019 Lexus GX460
      05-20-2020 07:51 PM #76
      Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but if you're shopping for a used GX, grab the VIN and head to https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

There you can pull up the entire service history for any Lexus (if serviced at a dealer). I used this tool when buying my wife's 2014 LS460. Found one that had been to the dealer every 5k of it's 60k miles life. Every detailed service record was visible, and I knew we had a cream puff that was not neglected in any way.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      05-20-2020 11:32 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      When I see statements like this I feel the need to clarify them a bit.

Toyota and Lexus products are very reliable, but a bit demanding on proper parts and maintenance. These aren't 90s Honda bulletproof where you can take it to Jiffy Lube once every 10k and it'll be happy, you need to follow the maintenance schedule and give it OEM or equivalent parts and fluids. You may still kill an alternator and starter, or wear out some suspension parts, but that stuff happens on all cars.
      i'd say that they require the same basic maintenance that any other car would require, stuff does wear out and you do need to fix it. that said, catastrophic and hugely expensive repairs are uncommon, particularly on a 20 year old platform that has been abused to hell by people for worse than me with good results. i'd also mention GX parts, since many are shared with the 4Runner/FJ can be pretty reasonable for things like brakes, tires, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

4. 05-21-2020 08:06 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      i'd say that they require the same basic maintenance that any other car would require, stuff does wear out and you do need to fix it. that said, catastrophic and hugely expensive repairs are uncommon, particularly on a 20 year old platform that has been abused to hell by people for worse than me with good results. i'd also mention GX parts, since many are shared with the 4Runner/FJ can be pretty reasonable for things like brakes, tires, etc.
      i'd say it's extremely reasonable... it uses equal parts in cost to other japanese cars.

Coolant? i can get pink zerex asian

Oil? i can use any synthetic, i get supertech synthetic 5w30, 2 jugs and a filter run me $37 total.

Airbag suspension? the airbags are good for 10-15 years depending on use and abuse.. they can be bought for under $200 and it's a 2-3 hour job at home.

Brakes are super easy.. specially the front since they're brembo style. Cheap too since they're the same ones that go in the 4runner and Prado.
      If you change the oil at home, i do recommend a fumoto valve since the drain plug in the GX faces straight down and all 8.2 quarts drain fast and violently!

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-21-2020 12:31 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      i'd say it's extremely reasonable... it uses equal parts in cost to other japanese cars.

Coolant? i can get pink zerex asian

Oil? i can use any synthetic, i get supertech synthetic 5w30, 2 jugs and a filter run me $37 total.

Airbag suspension? the airbags are good for 10-15 years depending on use and abuse.. they can be bought for under $200 and it's a 2-3 hour job at home.

Brakes are super easy.. specially the front since they're brembo style. Cheap too since they're the same ones that go in the 4runner and Prado.
      If you change the oil at home, i do recommend a fumoto valve since the drain plug in the GX faces straight down and all 8.2 quarts drain fast and violently!
      I agree with all of this. I've just encountered some misconceptions that Toyota and Lexus trucks are so durable that you can abuse them and feed them crappy fluids and parts, and they'll be fine with it, a la a 90s Civic. And because of that I've seen some clapped out rigs that are on their last legs by 200k, versus a well-maintained truck that will go 400k easily.

Yes, most of this is the same as other vehicles.

Vehicles
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      05-21-2020 04:11 PM #80
      I agree with all of this. I've just encountered some misconceptions that Toyota and Lexus trucks are so durable that you can abuse them and feed them crappy fluids and parts, and they'll be fine with it, a la a 90s Civic. And because of that I've seen some clapped out rigs that are on their last legs by 200k, versus a well-maintained truck that will go 400k easily.

Which is why my 125K mile truck is going to the dealer (egads!!) tomorrow to get the services up to date for the long haul. New sneakers going on, too. I want this thing to last.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Vehicles
      05-21-2020 04:16 PM #81

yup, and the nice thing is that when you do take good care of them, it isn't hugely costly and frankly, the dependability means less frequent intervals for stupid and expensive ****. stuff you see fail on some euro/american cars is mind boggling compared to what you see on something like a GX or tacoma, the tech is date, but that means that it's proven. i never worry about an infotainment dying, or a windshield wiper motor failing, or a power seat breaking...it just doesn't really happen.
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      2015 GTi 6speed
      05-21-2020 07:14 PM #82
      When I see statements like this I feel the need to clarify them a bit.

Toyota and Lexus products are very reliable, but a bit demanding on proper parts and maintenance. These aren't 90s Honda bulletproof where you can take it to Jiffy Lube once every 10k and it'll be happy, you need to follow the maintenance schedule and give it OEM or equivalent parts and fluids. You may still kill an alternator and starter, or wear out some suspension parts, but that stuff happens on all cars.
      Master Lexus tech here, yes they are crazy bullet proof, pump 87 octane, change oil every 10k or sooner depending on the driving and basic service it will last a LONG time.
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD [email protected] 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--
      13' BMW 335i M-sport EBII

9. 05-21-2020 07:30 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by O2VW1.8T View Post
      Master Lexus tech here, yes they are crazy bullet proof, pump 87 octane, change oil every 10k or sooner depending on the driving and basic service it will last a LONG time.
      that's what i do;
      87 octane, cheap supertech synthetic... it's gonna run forever!

Apparently there's a couple Tundras with the same 4.6, that have gone over 1 million miles already, and a Sequoia 4.6 that got stolen right after reaching 950k :/

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-22-2020 12:01 AM #84
      Awesome. Definitely makes me want to get one... I wouldn't mind a GX470, but, the rear seats don't fold down even near flat, and the timing belt is a little less convenient. I also like the idea of a 6-speed with my V8.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 STi, '19 Rebel
      05-22-2020 11:28 AM #85
      Seems soon my wife will be joining the club, she's been taking my truck more often than I like, we've driven from 2011 to brand new ones, she's already planning the tires/wheels set up, sliding tray etc.

One thing I notice, what's up with the lumbar support? it reminds me of my '17 Outback, from all the GX we drove, they all gave me lower back pain, it seems even when fully disengage, it still protruding into my lower back, and I know this is not me only, as I've found few threads on the net discussing this issue, its not a big deal to us as we'll probably get the seats redone but its mind buggling how this is such an issue among Toyota/Subaru.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      05-22-2020 11:37 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      One thing I notice, what's up with the lumbar support? it reminds me of my '17 Outback, from all the GX we drove, they all gave me lower back pain, it seems even when fully disengage, it still protruding into my lower back, and I know this is not me only, as I've found few threads on the net discussing this issue, its not a big deal to us as we'll probably get the seats redone but its mind buggling how this is such an issue among Toyota/Subaru.
      I have the same complaint with my GX470 but had no complaints with the seats in my 2005 4Runner or 2013 Tacoma. Must just be a GX "thing".
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 11:52 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I have the same complaint with my GX470 but had no complaints with the seats in my 2005 4Runner or 2013 Tacoma. Must just be a GX "thing".
      Is the air bag in the sea or in the door? my wife likes the 2020's red interior, but I'm not crazy on the price and 2010 esque head unit, a 2017 seems like a much better deal at almost 50% off MSRP knowing its more or less the same, figure pick up a 2017 and put in Recaro Orthopeds if possible.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-22-2020 12:18 PM #88
      I fully agree for dealer-maintained examples. There are clapped out poorly maintained examples floating around as you get older in years, but for the 460s that OP is considering the likelihood of that is less. Especially if he finds a dealer-maintained example.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Awesome. Definitely makes me want to get one... I wouldn't mind a GX470, but, the rear seats don't fold down even near flat, and the timing belt is a little less convenient. I also like the idea of a 6-speed with my V8.
      The third row seats in a 470 fold up against the rear windows to allow a flat floor, though they're still a bit bulky up there and kill a bit of cargo space.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Now that you mention it... The lumbar in my 470 is also a little odd. I'm always messing with it to get it to feel "just right".

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-22-2020 02:25 PM #89
      I fully agree for dealer-maintained examples. There are clapped out poorly maintained examples floating around as you get older in years, but for the 460s that OP is considering the likelihood of that is less. Especially if he finds a dealer-maintained example.

The third row seats in a 470 fold up against the rear windows to allow a flat floor, though they're still a bit bulky up there and kill a bit of cargo space.

Now that you mention it... The lumbar in my 470 is also a little odd. I'm always messing with it to get it to feel "just right".
      Yeah I know about the 3rd row on the 470, but even if you remove it. The 2nd row on the 470 just kinda folds up against the front seats. On my 4Runner the 2nd row goes pretty much flat. I think the 460 is more similar to the 4runner than the GX470
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      05-22-2020 02:33 PM #90
      For fun I am looking at the GX460 Used and dang, I am finding better deals on these than used 4Runners. I am thinking about vehicle decisions next year in June (assuming the economy doesnt collapse and I am eating baked beans for the rest of my life) and now this damn GX has entered the mix . I would either

-Buy out my current Outback
      -Lease or Purchase a new Ascent
      -Purchase a 4Runner (originally thought about an OR, but maybe an SR5?)
      -Now, look into purchasing a GX460

Well I have a year to think about it so.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-22-2020 02:42 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Yeah I know about the 3rd row on the 470, but even if you remove it. The 2nd row on the 470 just kinda folds up against the front seats. On my 4Runner the 2nd row goes pretty much flat. I think the 460 is more similar to the 4runner than the GX470
      Ah, the second row/middle row definitely doesn't fold flat but instead does the flip-forward thing. The Prado/470 body has a really low floor in the cargo area so there's no way the seats could have been made to go flat. Different design completely. Worst case scenario, you can remove the second row seats pretty easily if needed.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 03:04 PM #92

I believe it's the same system they used across Toyota/Subaru, the lumbar is pull by a cable, which "pushes" out a plastic lumbar piece vs European (or other Lexus, like my GS400) was air bag actuated.

On the Outback I actually took it out and shave off a big chunk then hot glue some foam on it, it was better, but not as good as it should've been.

19. 05-22-2020 05:17 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      For fun I am looking at the GX460 Used and dang, I am finding better deals on these than used 4Runners. I am thinking about vehicle decisions next year in June (assuming the economy doesnt collapse and I am eating baked beans for the rest of my life) and now this damn GX has entered the mix . I would either

-Buy out my current Outback
      -Lease or Purchase a new Ascent
      -Purchase a 4Runner (originally thought about an OR, but maybe an SR5?)
      -Now, look into purchasing a GX460

Well I have a year to think about it so.
      I have both a GX460 and an Ascent!

Honestly the Ascent was clearly designed to be more of a family vehicle and benefits from being unibody. The GX460 is a tank and very clearly shows its land cruiser roots.

The Ascent is VERY good, the 3rd row is big enough for adults, it can also go 130mph, and we average 22mpg with mostly city driving.
      The GX is still spacious but the 3rd row is more for emergencies.. it has ridiculous amounts of torque, i never have to go over 2000rpm, and i get 18.5mpg combined with 87 octane.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      05-22-2020 09:25 PM #94
      Good to know thanks for the input! Honestly the third row would always be down. I just want a vehicle good for long road trips and very light off roaring like forest trails and such. I mean all of those I mentioned tick the boxes.

21. 05-22-2020 09:44 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      Good to know thanks for the input! Honestly the third row would always be down. I just want a vehicle good for long road trips and very light off roaring like forest trails and such. I mean all of those I mentioned tick the boxes.
      mine is always down too.
      i just have cubes there with goodies for everyday stuff convenience and emergency supplies.

I'm changing careers into teaching, so since i'm gonna have summers off, i wanted something for road trips and very light off roading with my dogs, so i totally gets it!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 02:05 PM #96
      The wife likes the truck enough, although we also saw this on the test drive:

One day, what are you guys seeing on discount? the dealership we went to was very aggressive, as in 14k Cdn discount on brand new 2020 demo, but with 3 year old cars being almost 50% less, I'm having a hard time to pay that much more for red leather seats and black wood trims.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 02:10 PM #97
      mine is always down too.
      i just have cubes there with goodies for everyday stuff convenience and emergency supplies.

I'm changing careers into teaching, so since i'm gonna have summers off, i wanted something for road trips and very light off roading with my dogs, so i totally gets it!

tip for you - for about 15 bucks you can get MTM Ammo Crates in several sizes, they match the interior nicely and are waterproof, plus hard to tip over: https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR5-72-C.../dp/B00T4XL2MO

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      Yesterday 03:16 PM #98
      tip for you - for about 15 bucks you can get MTM Ammo Crates in several sizes, they match the interior nicely and are waterproof, plus hard to tip over: https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR5-72-C.../dp/B00T4XL2MO

Oooh those are nice for truck storage. I'm using Action Packers but I kind of like these Crates better.

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      Yesterday 03:20 PM #99
      I forgot these things also have KDSS. How reliable is this?

(Reason why I considered 4Runner SR5s at one point)

Yesterday 03:34 PM #100
      mine is always down too.

Funny, when the current gen Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade came out they were planned on this forum for integrating the fold flat 3rd row by raising the cargo floor. Lexus has clearly done the same thing here and I’ve never seen it as a criticism.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast