VWVortex.com - An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 11:58 AM #1
      My Dad and I have been idly talking for some time about buying a fun car to share...something we could take on road trips, to shows, maybe even drive down to Monterey for the Historics. Initially I thought this was more just a fun idea, but he made it clear he was serious about spending some of my inheritance.

We were on very different pages: He kept sending me ads/BaT auctions for things like Cobra replicas, 1984 Corvettes, sketchy Gen 1 Vipers, and the like. I kept sending him listings for 25-35 year old Porscheís and BMWís.

A Mustang GT350 was out of budget, neither of us were interested in a Camaro, so we started focusing on C6 Corvettes.

Found this car about 3 hours South of us, and so my other half and I went down to look at it. It was basically as advertised, so pulled the trigger and brought it home.

2012 base, 6MT. Two owner car (prior owner purchased it as a CPO from a Chevy dealer in 2016), clean Carfax, 28.5k miles. 3LT package with both tops, dual mode exhaust, Z51 brakes, Ďsportí seats, optional wheels.

Itís been babiedóstill on the original fitment tires that arenít at the wear bars (which will be replaced ASAP). Iíve already ordered the skip shift eliminator for it (thanks to 16volt doing the research).

The irony of this photo is not lost upon me.

So, I now own half of my first ever American car (save the Bolt which is my other halfís car), my first ever V8 in anything, and my first truly fast car.

Iíll just get these Aís to the typical Qís out of the way now:

-16volt is scouring Amazon for the perfect pair of acid wash jorts for me.
      -Google is retargeting me with nothing but ads for white New Balance sneakers. Iím taking my time to decide which style fits me best.
      -A friend works for Tommy Bahama and is going to hook me up, so thatís covered.
      -Apple Music mysteriously starts serving up nothing but Kid Rock on repeat anytime Iím driving it.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-21-2020 at 01:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      05-18-2020 04:52 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

Iíll just get these Aís to the typical Qís out of the way now:

-16volt is scouring Amazon for the perfect pair of acid wash jorts for me.
      -Google is retargeting me with nothing but ads for white New Balance sneakers. Iím taking my time to decide which style fits me best.
      -A friend works for Tommy Bahama and is going to hook me up, so thatís covered.
      -Apple Music mysteriously starts serving up nothing but Kid Rock on repeat anytime Iím driving it.
      Wow, I totally forgot to make the jorts and New Balance references when we first discussed this . It looks even better in full-size (vs. tiny IG) pics!
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 05:16 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Wow, I totally forgot to make the jorts and New Balance references when we first discussed this . It looks even better in full-size (vs. tiny IG) pics!
      I'm waiting for the imminent arrival of an Amazon package that will for sure contain jorts.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-19-2020 at 11:41 AM.

5. 05-18-2020 05:48 PM #4
      ZR1/replicas look great on this

Alcantara dash helps the look a whoel bunch

05-18-2020 05:53 PM #5
      Nice. I'm loving these pandemic purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      ZR1/replicas look great on this

Alcantara dash helps the look a whoel bunch
      That...does not look good. Would much rather get a 3LZ dash pad:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 06:41 PM #6
      I like the 3LZ dash pad for sure. The interior is a step up from the C5, and the seats in this car are better than the base seats. But neither of those things are saying much.

Iíd have had a hard time stomaching the interior for its $62k sticker price, and can only imagine someone who stepped up to the ZR1 looking at this same interior and thinking, this is justified at its $100k sticker. Having said thatóI was just fine with the interiors in my 986S and NA Miata, so a dash stroker I clearly am not.

First up are tires. Hunting for a deal on a set of PS4S. Will drive it until those are broken in to get a better sense of how much of an improvement they make, and then determine if it still needs a set of Bilsteins. (A nice benefit of buying American is parts prices are immensely reasonable: Bilsteins are $379/set. Z51 sways are ~$335/pair.)

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      05-18-2020 06:59 PM #7
      awesome choice, these cars are great values, they look good (better than the C7 to most), and really retain what i consider to be the good and balanced feel the C5s have. you can really hustle in it, but the power isn't so bonkers that it's undriveable. congrats on the score - love the lexan tops too, such an unusual feature.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-18-2020 07:02 PM #8
      unting for a deal on a set of PS4S. Will drive it until those are broken in to get a better sense of how much of an improvement they make, and then determine if it still needs a set of Bilsteins. (A nice benefit of buying American is parts prices are immensely reasonable: Bilsteins are $379/set. Z51 sways are ~$335/pair.)
      I still recall people complaining about Corvette parts prices relative to other domestic stuff. I think I paid $300 for a set of bilsteins for a friend's K15000 Suburban.

Meanwhile I paid close to twice that for a set for my 9-5 wagon.
      call it potatography

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 07:12 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      I still recall people complaining about Corvette parts prices relative to other domestic stuff. I think I paid $300 for a set of bilsteins for a friend's K15000 Suburban.

Meanwhile I paid close to twice that for a set for my 9-5 wagon.
      Like the $850 I paid for Bilsteins for the 986S, you mean? (Not to mention all the other suspension components that were in need of replacement at 70k miles, which equated to a $2200 bill including 4 wheel alignment.)

Nobody should complain about parts prices for this thing. Good long tube headers are expensive, but otherwise it's clear these people have never priced Porsche parts/mods. Also, these things don't really seem to break much.

I didn't see this happening at all, but this is the first Corvette I've ever thought really looked right from a packaging perspective as well as the slight European styling influences (including those oh-so-controversial exposed headlights).

I agree the ZR1 wheels really work on the car, although I'd like to find 5mm spacers for the rear (because I'm all about that stance life).

11. 05-18-2020 07:36 PM #10
      I like the 3LZ dash pad for sure. The interior is a step up from the C5, and the seats in this car are better than the base seats. But neither of those things are saying much.

Iíd have had a hard time stomaching the interior for its $62k sticker price, and can only imagine someone who stepped up to the ZR1 looking at this same interior and thinking, this is justified at its $100k sticker. Having said thatóI was just fine with the interiors in my 986S and NA Miata, so a dash stroker I clearly am not.

First up are tires. Hunting for a deal on a set of PS4S. Will drive it until those are broken in to get a better sense of how much of an improvement they make, and then determine if it still needs a set of Bilsteins. (A nice benefit of buying American is parts prices are immensely reasonable: Bilsteins are $379/set. Z51 sways are ~$335/pair.)
      Those are the regular seats in a '12. The dash you're looking for is a 4LT/3LZ/3ZR dash- probably can find one in a junkyard if you want a leather dash. The LS9 engine is something crazy like $50k, that's where the money went; interior is the same crappy stuff. Granted, the full leather interior gives you nearly full leather door panels, a nicer center console lid (I think your car already has an aftermarket lid), leather wrapped door pulls, etc., which makes it a bit nicer.

Those replica wheels are heavy. Get a lightweight set of wheels on there and better shocks and the car will really wake up. All the motorsports shock companies make stuff for Corvettes- Penske, Moton, MCS, JRZ, etc.

The stock shocks are made by Sachs and they're junk. You'll see a huge improvement in traction by getting good shocks- better launch and far better on mid-corner bumps, which tend to really upset the car on stock suspension.

I don't remember where you're located, but if you're subject to onerous emissions standards like CA, then you definitely want to get the thermal plate for the trans tunnel- the insulation will significantly reduce the heat transmitted by the cats to the trans tunnel. In the summertime, the tunnel gets hot, even just cruising around. There are also pre-cut insulation kits to fit under the carpet to reduce the heat and noise further. Long-tube headers with a good ceramic coating will reduce those temps because they relocate the cats further back, but if you can't do that, then the insulation is kind of a must.

Enjoy the car- I had mine for a little over 10 years.

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 08:43 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Those are the regular seats in a '12. The dash you're looking for is a 4LT/3LZ/3ZR dash- probably can find one in a junkyard if you want a leather dash. The LS9 engine is something crazy like $50k, that's where the money went; interior is the same crappy stuff. Granted, the full leather interior gives you nearly full leather door panels, a nicer center console lid (I think your car already has an aftermarket lid), leather wrapped door pulls, etc., which makes it a bit nicer.

Those replica wheels are heavy. Get a lightweight set of wheels on there and better shocks and the car will really wake up. All the motorsports shock companies make stuff for Corvettes- Penske, Moton, MCS, JRZ, etc.

The stock shocks are made by Sachs and they're junk. You'll see a huge improvement in traction by getting good shocks- better launch and far better on mid-corner bumps, which tend to really upset the car on stock suspension.

I don't remember where you're located, but if you're subject to onerous emissions standards like CA, then you definitely want to get the thermal plate for the trans tunnel- the insulation will significantly reduce the heat transmitted by the cats to the trans tunnel. In the summertime, the tunnel gets hot, even just cruising around. There are also pre-cut insulation kits to fit under the carpet to reduce the heat and noise further. Long-tube headers with a good ceramic coating will reduce those temps because they relocate the cats further back, but if you can't do that, then the insulation is kind of a must.

Enjoy the car- I had mine for a little over 10 years.
      Thanks for this! Shocks will get replacedóI donít love the way they feel floaty and yet harsh. Probably start with Bilsteins for now and see if those + the Michelinís make enough difference. I definitely donít feel confident in driving it quickly as it sits currently.

Iíve been researching the tunnel plateógood to know thatís a worthy upgrade. I will also look into the insulation, less for heat and more for noise. Itís *loud* in there, with a lot of drone. My ears hurt after 5 hours on the road Saturday. Iíll need to address that sooner rather than later.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      05-18-2020 10:02 PM #12
      How many other cars have interior door panels that don't match?

Great pickup, but that alone would drive me crazy.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 11:55 PM #13
      I think VW and a few others have done this too. You have to try and ignore it...

Update: Figured out why it was so loudósomeone pulled the fuse for the active exhaust. Put it back in and I can drive it without getting a headache after an hour on the freeway. Time to look into a manual switch.

Vehicles
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf, 2008 Jeep Liberty 6M
      05-19-2020 12:42 AM #14
      Super happy about this purchase.

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 01:58 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by PJA View Post
      Super happy about this purchase.
      Thanks! Now get your ass (and the Cappuccino) our here so we can have hilarious drives together.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      05-19-2020 03:36 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Mk4 Golf. It can make sense. The driver's side is optimized only for pulling the door shut and the passenger side also for grabbing onto something on curvy roads. In the Corvette, too, the driver's side handle is further back, which makes pulling the door easier. For grabbing the handle for support it can't be that far back, though.

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Century, Suzuki Super Carry, something else
      05-19-2020 04:08 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Toyota Century. The front passenger door has an assist grip designed specifically to help the occupant turn and face the rear occupants. The bolsters on the front passenger seat are also shaped to help facilitate this as well.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      C7 Corvette
      05-19-2020 07:51 AM #18
      That looks great!

and the asymmetrical door panels are cool

20. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      05-19-2020 08:59 AM #19
      Congrats!!
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

05-19-2020 10:39 AM #20

Iíd have had a hard time stomaching the interior for its $62k sticker price, and can only imagine someone who stepped up to the ZR1 looking at this same interior and thinking, this is justified at its $100k sticker.
      If you've driven a C6 ZR1 in anger, you would realize why.
      2017 VW GTI

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Greyvdub since 2005; '18 Stelvio Sport, '14 Abarth, '99 M-Coupe, '74 Fulvia
      05-19-2020 10:49 AM #21
      Fantastic purchase.

I LIKE the interior. Nice looking steering wheel, driver-centric configuration. Not sure what the fuss is about on these padded dashboards - I don't touch my dashboard when I'm driving...

05-19-2020 10:56 AM #22
      I always liked these C6 Vette's. Good choice!

Probably liked them so much because they featured in a lot of games that I played in my mid-20's. In any case, compared to what has come after, definitely, the C6 is the better looking car. Interior is debatable, but if you're not a dash stroker, that's a big aside anyway.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

24. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 11:38 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by greyvdub_v2.0 View Post
      Fantastic purchase.

I LIKE the interior. Nice looking steering wheel, driver-centric configuration. Not sure what the fuss is about on these padded dashboards - I don't touch my dashboard when I'm driving...
      The dash is padded--kind of. The door panels and other plastics are mid-2000's quality GM. It is nice that the surrounds for the electric door actuators are real metal, the keyfob doesn't look/feel like a generic GM key, the gauge cluster isn't ATS-V quality, etc.

Just ordered an NPP "mild to wild" remote switch, which as far as I can tell is just a remote receiver connected to a relay that jumpers the fuse position. I haven't even registered it yet and I'm already two mods in.

...I mean, this slope doesn't look that slippery. I'm sure I can just walk around the top of it a bit without going all the way down, right?
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-19-2020 at 11:44 AM.

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 11:40 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      If you've driven a C6 ZR1 in anger, you would realize why.
      Honestly, even with Mag ride and big brakes, I can't help but think that the ZR1 motor is just way too much for this chassis. But I can imagine it'd be ungodly fast.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-19-2020 at 11:44 AM.

05-19-2020 11:52 AM #25
      The builtin skip-shift 'feature' isn't really a big deal unless you are babying the car... and a Corvette was not created to be babied

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast