VWVortex.com - An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)

1. Member
      05-19-2020 12:17 PM #26
      Nice!!! Mod and enjoy to it's full potential!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 12:18 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      The builtin skip-shift 'feature' isn't really a big deal unless you are babying the car... and a Corvette was not created to be babied
      Agree, but given how long the gearing is in first, around town it can be a bit difficult to avoid in certain circumstances. And it’s annoying when you hit it and think, why can’t I grab second?

For $18 I’m happy to be rid of it.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      05-19-2020 12:19 PM #28
      Righteous! Looks fresh in silver + targa combo. Enjoy the time with your pops.

5. 05-19-2020 12:34 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Thanks for this! Shocks will get replaced—I don’t love the way they feel floaty and yet harsh. Probably start with Bilsteins for now and see if those + the Michelin’s make enough difference. I definitely don’t feel confident in driving it quickly as it sits currently.

I’ve been researching the tunnel plate—good to know that’s a worthy upgrade. I will also look into the insulation, less for heat and more for noise. It’s *loud* in there, with a lot of drone. My ears hurt after 5 hours on the road Saturday. I’ll need to address that sooner rather than later.
      Stock exhaust is awfully quiet. Is yours either wired to be open all the time or an aftermarket system?

Get the DRM Bilsteins (Doug Rippie Motorsports)- they're valved a bit differently than the stock Bilsteins. They made a world of difference on my friend's C5. Cost is the same or just a little bit higher. Better shocks and new Michelins should make a noticeable improvement. Then reduce unsprung weight and the suspension will be a lot happier. Don't lower it too much- 1.5" from stock is about the max w/o drop spindles- screws up the geometry. That's straight from Corvette engineers' mouths and proven in track use. LG makes drop spindles but it doesn't sound like you're trying to make a full-on track car, so that's not necessary.

I did a ton of research on exhausts and ended up with a Corsa Sport- but that ended up being way too loud once I got long tube headers. No drone, though. The louder systems are pretty bad with drone. Exhaust parts start getting expensive but it's nothing compared to Porsche parts.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Camaro
      05-19-2020 01:06 PM #30
      Really nice light colored interior in your car. I mostly see black ones around here and while lots of people hate on the C6 interior, I don't find them that bad. I never found the 986/996 interior bad, either, but some people expect rolling couches and soft touch materials in a car that's designed for driving enjoyment.

I agree on the skip-shift eliminator. It's a must have, and I have it installed as well, but after a while I naturally adapted to the gearing and never see the message pop-up on my dash anymore. Of course the one time it does show up I'm glad it doesn't lock me out. Mine is a $9.99 ebay special resistor. What size tires are on it now, out of curiosity? Reps look good, even though they might be heavy - I've noticed that most GM stock wheels are pretty heavy to begin with anyway so it might actually be a wash.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 05:23 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Stock exhaust is awfully quiet. Is yours either wired to be open all the time or an aftermarket system?
      It was open all the time as the fuse had been removed. Stupidly took me 2 days to think about checking the fuse. And you're right, it's much quieter under 3500rpm now. With it 100% open, it droned badly.

Get the DRM Bilsteins (Doug Rippie Motorsports)- they're valved a bit differently than the stock Bilsteins. They made a world of difference on my friend's C5. Cost is the same or just a little bit higher. Better shocks and new Michelins should make a noticeable improvement. Then reduce unsprung weight and the suspension will be a lot happier. Don't lower it too much- 1.5" from stock is about the max w/o drop spindles- screws up the geometry. That's straight from Corvette engineers' mouths and proven in track use. LG makes drop spindles but it doesn't sound like you're trying to make a full-on track car, so that's not necessary.
      The DRM Bilsteins are revalves of B8's, correct? I was thinking of doing the B6's as they are supposed to be a good match to the non-Z51 springs. I'm a bit leery of ending up with something that is undersprung and overdamped as it's clearly the opposite right now. At some point in the future I'll likely do the Z51 swaybars (unless someone can convince me it's worth ponying up for the Pfadt/Johnny O'Connell units) with better endlinks.

Not sure about lowering it much--there are a lot of places I drive that require a pretty steep approach (just getting into/out of my driveway).

I did a ton of research on exhausts and ended up with a Corsa Sport- but that ended up being way too loud once I got long tube headers. No drone, though. The louder systems are pretty bad with drone. Exhaust parts start getting expensive but it's nothing compared to Porsche parts.
      I've heard the Corsa--it sounds great. Good quality long tubes (Kooks or AR) are definitely not cheap. I understand they can really wake up the motor, though, especially with a tune.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 05:26 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by LoudTIGER View Post
      What size tires are on it now, out of curiosity? Reps look good, even though they might be heavy - I've noticed that most GM stock wheels are pretty heavy to begin with anyway so it might actually be a wash.
      Stock is 245/40/18 and 285/35/19. Apparently the rear size is somewhat rare--Discount is having to order the rears from a warehouse in CA as no location in WA state has them in stock. Should be installed next week. I'm eager to see what improvements the PS4S bring.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG ect..
      05-19-2020 06:15 PM #33
      Congrats! Now we just need some pasty legs wearing jorts doing a burnout

Looks like that C6 will be an absolute blast!

10. 05-19-2020 08:44 PM #34
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-19-2020 11:31 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Congrats! Now we just need some pasty legs wearing jorts doing a burnout

Looks like that C6 will be an absolute blast!
      Well, it is getting new tires next week...

05-20-2020 12:59 AM #36
      Honestly, even with Mag ride and big brakes, I can't help but think that the ZR1 motor is just way too much for this chassis. But I can imagine it'd be ungodly fast.
      It was an angry, angry car even with the super long gearing. You couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular C6 just driving around town though. Well worth the money at the time IMO.

The regular C6 is still plenty especially with the LS3 and it has tons of aftermarket support as you've probably already figured out.
      Last edited by JustinCSVT; 05-20-2020 at 01:01 AM.
      2017 VW GTI

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-20-2020 01:02 AM #37
      call it potatography

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      05-20-2020 10:48 AM #38
      Congrats! I've been eyeing these as well - I don't need another car, but I have feelers out through my used car dealer buddies that if they see a scruffy C6 6-speed at auction I'd probably do something dumb to just cruise around in it for the summer.

I helped my FIL sell his 9k-mile C6 A6 'vert with the LS3 and it's amazing how much the A6 neuters that great engine. So full of character and fun in my 6-speed SS and so...blah in the automatic Corvette. Super-happy that you went M6 on this car.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-20-2020 11:18 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      I helped my FIL sell his 9k-mile C6 A6 'vert with the LS3 and it's amazing how much the A6 neuters that great engine. So full of character and fun in my 6-speed SS and so...blah in the automatic Corvette. Super-happy that you went M6 on this car.
      I didn't even consider an A6. I'd imagine it'd feel not much different than any other GM V8/AT application.

Apart from the clutch releasing near the top of its travel (which I've read is fairly common for C6's) the shift quality is pretty good (I understand the later transmission has significantly improved shift quality), and driveline lash isn't as noticeable as I expected it to be.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-20-2020 at 11:22 AM.

16. 05-20-2020 12:40 PM #40
      It was open all the time as the fuse had been removed. Stupidly took me 2 days to think about checking the fuse. And you're right, it's much quieter under 3500rpm now. With it 100% open, it droned badly.

The DRM Bilsteins are revalves of B8's, correct? I was thinking of doing the B6's as they are supposed to be a good match to the non-Z51 springs. I'm a bit leery of ending up with something that is undersprung and overdamped as it's clearly the opposite right now. At some point in the future I'll likely do the Z51 swaybars (unless someone can convince me it's worth ponying up for the Pfadt/Johnny O'Connell units) with better endlinks.

Not sure about lowering it much--there are a lot of places I drive that require a pretty steep approach (just getting into/out of my driveway).

I've heard the Corsa--it sounds great. Good quality long tubes (Kooks or AR) are definitely not cheap. I understand they can really wake up the motor, though, especially with a tune.
      Cool that you could fix the exhaust drone so easily!

Yes, the DRM Bilsteins are revalved B8s. I didn't realize that you had a non-Z51. I agree with your thinking on this, but I don't find the Z51 leafs to be very aggressive, so you might just want to either do stiffer leaf springs or go to coilovers. I'd imagine there is very little resale value on leaf springs, so you probably can get Z51 leaf springs for very cheap (or even Z06 leaf springs) as used take-off parts. If you're not going to lower it, then no reason to worry about geometry.

I'd get swaybars from Sam Strano- stranoparts, I think. As a champion in SCCA Solo and knowing car setup, he'll give you good advice on how to set your suspension up.

Long tube headers will definitely make a huge improvement- noticeable power increase even without a tune, although you have to tune out the rear O2 sensor or it will illuminate a check engine light. Just note that long tubes are MUCH louder than the stock manifolds, so you should consider NOT doing an exhaust system if you're planning on long tubes and wait and see. My Corsa sounded great with the stock manifolds but it got really loud after the headers. Like to the point that I would have to cruise in a high gear and off throttle as much as possible if I wanted to be quiet. Get into the throttle more than a little bit and it got loud. Like no way you're going to pass sound limits type loud (over 95 dB, I'm sure, probably closer to 100+).

17. 05-20-2020 12:45 PM #41
      Nah, the C6 chassis could handle the ZR1 power. However, C5/6/7 are tricky at the limit- they're fine at 8/10ths but try to push it to the very limit and it's really hard to recover if you make a mistake. Hence lots of crashes when people push their cars too hard and lack the skill to recover. You make it 638 instead of 430 and things just happen much faster. But the chassis is very stiff, suspension design is good.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-20-2020 01:34 PM #42
      Congrats on the purchase man. Kidding aside, this will be fun for you and your pops.

19. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-20-2020 01:57 PM #43
      Cool that you could fix the exhaust drone so easily!

Yes, the DRM Bilsteins are revalved B8s. I didn't realize that you had a non-Z51. I agree with your thinking on this, but I don't find the Z51 leafs to be very aggressive, so you might just want to either do stiffer leaf springs or go to coilovers. I'd imagine there is very little resale value on leaf springs, so you probably can get Z51 leaf springs for very cheap (or even Z06 leaf springs) as used take-off parts. If you're not going to lower it, then no reason to worry about geometry.

I'd get swaybars from Sam Strano- stranoparts, I think. As a champion in SCCA Solo and knowing car setup, he'll give you good advice on how to set your suspension up.

Long tube headers will definitely make a huge improvement- noticeable power increase even without a tune, although you have to tune out the rear O2 sensor or it will illuminate a check engine light. Just note that long tubes are MUCH louder than the stock manifolds, so you should consider NOT doing an exhaust system if you're planning on long tubes and wait and see. My Corsa sounded great with the stock manifolds but it got really loud after the headers. Like to the point that I would have to cruise in a high gear and off throttle as much as possible if I wanted to be quiet. Get into the throttle more than a little bit and it got loud. Like no way you're going to pass sound limits type loud (over 95 dB, I'm sure, probably closer to 100+).
      Thanks again for all the info--super useful to hear from someone who has clearly been down the road with their car.

What is your current suspension/brake setup? How do you use your car? (Street/autox/track)?

I think this car will likely be mostly street driven, with an occasional autox and perhaps one DE day (not full on track day--I need to learn how to drive the car first) a year. I want something that is comfortable for longer trips while having better control on both street and in a closed course environment (for a DE day)--more predictable responses than a stock car offers.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      05-20-2020 03:15 PM #44
      Wonderful pickup. A late production C6 is on my list for a future fun car in a year or two depending, and i have been thinking of a Bolt due to massive commute mileage. Please let us know how your experiences with it progress. I hear the targa top is very hard to do solo and needs 2 people - do you find that to be the case, and how does it affect storage when it is stowed?

21. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      05-20-2020 03:31 PM #45
      can i ask a stupid question - how come the cobra replicas and 80s german things were nixed?

dont forget to tuck in your hawaiian shirt!

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-20-2020 05:45 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      Wonderful pickup. A late production C6 is on my list for a future fun car in a year or two depending, and i have been thinking of a Bolt due to massive commute mileage. Please let us know how your experiences with it progress. I hear the targa top is very hard to do solo and needs 2 people - do you find that to be the case, and how does it affect storage when it is stowed?
      I was able to remove the transparent top solo, although it is a bit unwieldy. I haven't tried to do the same with the solid top. The solid top is in the trunk at the moment, so I stowed the transparent top sitting on some towels in the garage leaned up against my cabinets.

When stowed, the top takes up most of the cargo area--it's bigger than you'd think, and while the cargo area is long, it's not very deep due to the tires/trans/axle/mufflers/fuel tanks.

23. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-20-2020 05:56 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

dont forget to tuck in your hawaiian shirt!

I won't, as long as you don't forget to give everyone the IG page/blog/YouTube channel for your new #vanlife movement.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      can i ask a stupid question - how come the cobra replicas and 80s german things were nixed?
      I can't imagine you ever asking a stupid question--and this one certainly isn't.

-Cobra replica: Most of them were not amazing in terms of build quality or components used (lots of old Mustang junk), LOUD (bad for me who has tinnitus), small inside, no real windows or top which makes it no deal for long distance driving (both from a weather perspective as well as wind buffeting for me--one reason I no longer own a convertible). This started with us talking about buying something that would be fun for both local drives as well as potential road trips to Monterey/Pebble, etc, and a Cobra rep just wouldn't have been a great car for that.

-80's/90's German things: My dad and I have both had our fair share of old Euro iron, having basically restored an '83 245 Turbo wagon, done a lot of maintenance on his former Volvo 855T and wife's W124, lots of work on my old Mk2 Jetta (some of which you later undid, if I recall ), my BMW and Porsches, etc. Dad's stance was that something American would potentially be less finicky and parts would be cheaper, and neither of us had owned anything like it. I came around to this line of thinking, as I really wanted to check off the "own a V8" box, and Euro car V8 ownership for reasonable money basically gives you the 928, a Maserati Quattroporte, scary E39 M5's...

This probably won't preclude me from also ending up with something like an E36 M3 in the future.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-20-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG ect..
      05-20-2020 06:11 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Might be onto something

-80's/90's German things: My dad and I have both had our fair share of old Euro iron, having basically restored an '83 245 Turbo wagon, done a lot of maintenance on his former Volvo 855T and wife's W124, lots of work on my old Mk2 Jetta (some of which you later undid, if I recall ), my BMW and Porsches, etc. Dad's stance was that something American would potentially be less finicky and parts would be cheaper, and neither of us had owned anything like it. I came around to this line of thinking, as I really wanted to check off the "own a V8" box, and Euro car V8 ownership for reasonable money basically gives you the 928, a Maserati Quattroporte, scary E39 M5's...

This probably won't preclude me from also ending up with something like an E36 M3 in the future.
      928's give me nightmares....even the one sitting in the "Dead Car Garage" section as the GF calls it....need to get it out before some of the other cars with just dead batteries catch something from it I will suffer a MG or Jeep before a 928!

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-20-2020 06:54 PM #49
      And as long as I'll remain in Seattle there will probably be no shortage of hoopties to borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Might be onto something
      I already sent Jon to the registration page for the regional Corvette Club autocross this weekend
      call it potatography

26. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      2020 GT350, 2019 Ridgeline Sport
      05-20-2020 08:19 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      I already sent Jon to the registration page for the regional Corvette Club autocross this weekend
      Did you know that you can pick up a satin 'Heartbeat of America' jacket on eBay for a scant $25? I didn't, either, until this afternoon.

I mean, our boy needs proper gear to ride.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast