VWVortex.com - An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 79

    Thread: An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)

    1. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      northwest corner, WA
      Posts
      41,188
      Vehicles
      duramax, om606, tdi van, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      05-20-2020 11:25 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I won't, as long as you don't forget to give everyone the IG page/blog/YouTube channel for your new #vanlife movement.
      I'm still brushing up on my yoga selfies



      Fair enough, it's not really my speed but I can definitely appreciate it... If you do decide to jump down the quattroporte rabbit hole I'm definitely in for that adventure


      Ah, the Mk2! I just recently sold those flares on eBay.
      Man, the dude who bought it definitely drove that thing into the ground. 😞

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,940
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-21-2020 03:08 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
      Did you know that you can pick up a satin 'Heartbeat of America' jacket on eBay for a scant $25? I didn't, either, until this afternoon.

      I mean, our boy needs proper gear to ride.
      We do know that as a matter of fact.



      I do at least.

    4. Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      The Mitten
      Posts
      3,304
      Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata, 2007 Si
      05-21-2020 06:51 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      ...and my first front engine sports car...
      Was your Miata not a front engine sports car?
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    5. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-21-2020 01:16 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      We do know that as a matter of fact.


      I do at least.
      I'm keeping an eye out for Amazon packages.

    6. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-21-2020 01:20 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      Was your Miata not a front engine sports car?
      I have no idea why I said that--I've owned both the Miata and a 944S.

    7. Member AlBeezy36's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 25th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      2,656
      Vehicles
      LS430, 911, 2002, and a Galaxie
      05-21-2020 01:27 PM #56
      Did you find it in Kent, Auburn, or Federal Way?

      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      Congrats on the purchase man. Kidding aside, this will be fun for you and your pops.
      Agreed. I figure that thing will be an easy to maintain riot. When I heard Jon got a C6, I figured it was Tampa.
      FOR SALE: BMW '72 2002 running/driving project car with no title. PM me if you're interested. Car is in 98026 (W. WA State)
      Link to Imgur Gallery (59 images) - Photo Gallery - Asking $4k Or Best Reasonable Offer
      Engine run vid: https://youtu.be/ahScq7G7zC8

    8. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-21-2020 01:33 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by AlBeezy36 View Post
      Did you find it in Kent, Auburn, or Federal Way?
      Vancouver, although the car spent the past 4 years in my old hometown (Salem). OR car it's entire life (Bend and Salem).

    9. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      17,896
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-21-2020 02:04 PM #58
      Yay we're LS buddies! Sadly car week is mostly called off this year, otherwise I'd say bring it down in August and we'll go spray the mountains with some small block music. Hell, you should do that anyway, and we'll bring Marcelo's burnout machine.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

    10. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-21-2020 02:59 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Yay we're LS buddies! Sadly car week is mostly called off this year, otherwise I'd say bring it down in August and we'll go spray the mountains with some small block music. Hell, you should do that anyway, and we'll bring Marcelo's burnout machine.
      Damn straight we are! I admit, the sound and torks are pretty addicting. I can't wait to get decent tires/shocks on this thing so I can enjoy both the go and the turning.

      And the V8 Volvo's. Tom's already told me he is looking forward to beating me in a drag race.

    11. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      17,896
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-21-2020 03:34 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Damn straight we are! I admit, the sound and torks are pretty addicting. I can't wait to get decent tires/shocks on this thing so I can enjoy both the go and the turning.

      And the V8 Volvo's. Tom's already told me he is looking forward to beating me in a drag race.
      His Volvo boogeys. I haven't drag raced him, but I did do some highway pulls with VOLOVO. I was driving, and Drew was in my SS before he had one of his own. I was sitting there thinking "Any moment my SS will triumphantly walk away from the Volvo" but best it could do was stick next to the door.

      I have 50 more wheel HP now, so hopefully I'll win a rematch.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

    12. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,940
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-21-2020 08:36 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      His Volvo boogeys. I haven't drag raced him, but I did do some highway pulls with VOLOVO. I was driving, and Drew was in my SS before he had one of his own. I was sitting there thinking "Any moment my SS will triumphantly walk away from the Volvo" but best it could do was stick next to the door.

      I have 50 more wheel HP now, so hopefully I'll win a rematch.
      Take it to the boat ramp rednecks.

    13. 05-21-2020 08:48 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Thanks again for all the info--super useful to hear from someone who has clearly been down the road with their car.

      What is your current suspension/brake setup? How do you use your car? (Street/autox/track)?

      I think this car will likely be mostly street driven, with an occasional autox and perhaps one DE day (not full on track day--I need to learn how to drive the car first) a year. I want something that is comfortable for longer trips while having better control on both street and in a closed course environment (for a DE day)--more predictable responses than a stock car offers.
      I don't have my car any longer, sold it late 2018. It was only street driven, never took it to the track. I originally intended to the track the car, but once I added up what it would take to track the car, I sort of lost interest in doing that (I'm overly conservative in terms of track prep).

      That was probably the reason why I didn't keep the car- to me, it felt too big on the street (I like driving really windy, narrow back roads for fun, and the car felt like it would fall off of some of those roads). It doesn't help that my clownshoe feels like it's half the size, and my Miata before that was probably a little bit smaller than that. I also learned that I like high revving engines and smaller, lighter cars in general for sports cars.

      It's an extremely capable car, though. I've been on the track in Corvettes and they're pretty awesome track cars. Very high consumable costs, though- a set of tires is easily $1600+; you'll go through brake pads and rotors like nothing, etc. You don't need anything more than the stock brakes for street driving, though. They're plenty powerful and have no problem slowing the car from 130+.

      It sounds like I'm being all negative, but one thing the Corvette was really good at doing is road trips. The car was awesome at eating up miles at a rapid pace, in comfort. I've done 1000 mile road trips in the car and it's great for doing that. The stereo is decent (not great), seats are relatively comfortable, very stable and lots of luggage space.
      The air conditioner is straight out of a Tahoe, so no problem keeping the car cool.

      You're definitely going down the right path IMO- get a great set of tires, then get a really nice set of shocks. That will go a long way in making the car really nice to drive. Also, get someone who really knows what they're doing to align the car- ride height is adjustable, so you can get it corner balanced.

    14. 05-21-2020 08:53 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      Wonderful pickup. A late production C6 is on my list for a future fun car in a year or two depending, and i have been thinking of a Bolt due to massive commute mileage. Please let us know how your experiences with it progress. I hear the targa top is very hard to do solo and needs 2 people - do you find that to be the case, and how does it affect storage when it is stowed?
      The targa top can be done solo, you just have to be careful because it's big enough to really be a pain to remove from the car and get it to the back without banging into the body, etc. It's not that heavy, just big enough to be annoying.

      When you stow the top in the back, there isn't much space under the top and you'll be putting stuff directly onto the painted surface or the relatively soft lexan top if you put stuff on top of the top. Definitely can't put anything really heavy on the top, that's just asking for trouble. The top locks into place, so it's really secure once it's stowed properly.

    15. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,194
      Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      05-22-2020 01:06 AM #64
      Well well well...what do we have here?! A manual American front engine sports car with a V8? Nice!

      Looks like an awesome choice for you and pops.

      Excited to follow along your journey, sir.

    16. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-22-2020 01:26 AM #65
      Did the first maintenance tonight. Pretty sure thatís never been changed.



      Also ordered some RBF600 as I have no record of when the brake fluid was last flushed.

    17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      northwest corner, WA
      Posts
      41,188
      Vehicles
      duramax, om606, tdi van, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      05-22-2020 11:23 AM #66
      also... how is this thread devoid of burnout and/or big v8 noise videos?

    18. Member IdontOwnAVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2004
      Location
      Wilmington DE
      Posts
      7,157
      Vehicles
      MK1TDI, BoltEV, GMT800, 04GTO
      05-22-2020 11:47 AM #67
      I love that color combo!

      I definitely miss my 06Z, I had a "Mild 2 Wild" switch installed on my center console with a little switch to flip whenever I wanted it to be obnoxious, when off it performed like stock. Sold my 06 when I got my house, and then my dad bought a brand new '13 Grand Sport (holy crap that was 7 years ago now?) which he doesn't drive often....I'll have to trade him the GXP and put some miles on it.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

    19. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,940
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-22-2020 03:43 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      also... how is this thread devoid of burnout and/or big v8 noise videos?
      I even have a gopro....

    20. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-23-2020 12:17 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      also... how is this thread devoid of burnout and/or big v8 noise videos?
      I was planning on that tomorrow, but Iím not sure itís going to work out.

      16Volt left town this weekend.

    21. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-23-2020 12:21 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      I love that color combo!

      I definitely miss my 06Z, I had a "Mild 2 Wild" switch installed on my center console with a little switch to flip whenever I wanted it to be obnoxious, when off it performed like stock. Sold my 06 when I got my house, and then my dad bought a brand new '13 Grand Sport (holy crap that was 7 years ago now?) which he doesn't drive often....I'll have to trade him the GXP and put some miles on it.
      Mild 2 Wild wireless is en route.

      I think the Grand Sport manual is the real buy of the C6 range, and what I would have gone for if I could have found one for upper 20ís with decent condition/miles (most were lower-mid 30ís still). The hand built dry sump LS3 + Z06 body and suspension/brakes is an ideal setup IMO.

      I canít wait to see your thread on the GXP! What a cool car that is. Future collectible for sure.

    22. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      17,896
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-23-2020 12:49 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      also... how is this thread devoid of burnout and/or big v8 noise videos?
      Ok fiiiiiine.



      Excuse my sister. She got lit at dinner.

      Just think Jon. This can be you. Doing some sweet sweet LS3 brake stands. You're part of the club now.

      I'm a few beers deep into this zoom happy hour, so why not post a few more. Room for Jon to grow into.









      I'm so glad Jon's in the LS club.
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 05-23-2020 at 12:52 AM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

    23. 05-23-2020 11:34 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Mild 2 Wild wireless is en route.

      I think the Grand Sport manual is the real buy of the C6 range, and what I would have gone for if I could have found one for upper 20ís with decent condition/miles (most were lower-mid 30ís still). The hand built dry sump LS3 + Z06 body and suspension/brakes is an ideal setup IMO.

      I canít wait to see your thread on the GXP! What a cool car that is. Future collectible for sure.
      The Grand Sport is the sweet spot in both the C6 and C7. With the C6, they still have a steel frame, so it's much easier and cheaper to repair (unlike the aluminum frame in the Z06 and ZR1). Also, the LS3 is not hand-made, but with a couple oiling upgrades, can have that dry sump working pretty well.

      The flares and the wheels are key to making that thing pull crazy Gs. The PBR brakes on the C6 Z06 are garbage (expensive pads, poor caliper rigidity, pad taper, poor heat rejection, etc.) and the shocks still suck on them.

      The good thing about Corvettes is that it's easy to find a perfect condition car. Unlike Porsches that people drive, it seems like 99% of Corvette owners spend time washing and waxing their cars and not much else.

    24. Member tampaSi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2006
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      3,047
      Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      05-23-2020 12:26 PM #73
      Dunno how I slept on this thread for five days, but in any event - congrats Jon! Vette looks great; I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of it. With all the purchases in here lately, I've got a serious sports car itch again...
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

    25. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,257
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-23-2020 12:33 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      The Grand Sport is the sweet spot in both the C6 and C7. With the C6, they still have a steel frame, so it's much easier and cheaper to repair (unlike the aluminum frame in the Z06 and ZR1). Also, the LS3 is not hand-made, but with a couple oiling upgrades, can have that dry sump working pretty well.

      The flares and the wheels are key to making that thing pull crazy Gs. The PBR brakes on the C6 Z06 are garbage (expensive pads, poor caliper rigidity, pad taper, poor heat rejection, etc.) and the shocks still suck on them.

      The good thing about Corvettes is that it's easy to find a perfect condition car. Unlike Porsches that people drive, it seems like 99% of Corvette owners spend time washing and waxing their cars and not much else.
      I thought Iíd read that the manual trans Grand Sports had a dry sump LS3 built alongside the LS7 and ZR1 motors?

      Thatís interesting to hear about the Z06 brakes. Iíd read on CorvetteForum that they arenít an especially good upgrade but no detail as to whyóthis all makes sense. Itís a bummer to hear that.

    26. 05-23-2020 04:36 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I thought Iíd read that the manual trans Grand Sports had a dry sump LS3 built alongside the LS7 and ZR1 motors?

      Thatís interesting to hear about the Z06 brakes. Iíd read on CorvetteForum that they arenít an especially good upgrade but no detail as to whyóthis all makes sense. Itís a bummer to hear that.
      No, only the LS7 and LS9 engines were "hand built." Not really a big deal.

      IMO, the best brake upgrade is the Essex/AP kit, which is comparable in price to Stoptech and Brembo, but they have 1" or even thicker brake pads and very nice brake discs. Wilwood has some budget alternatives. Also, the APs have SS brake pistons and a bunch of other thermal tweaks to help keep them running cool. But totally not necessary for street driving. I never got my brakes hot enough to feel the need for an upgrade.

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.