VWVortex.com - An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-23-2020 08:57 PM #76
      CRITICAL UPDATE:

16volt has graciously ensured that I have a key piece of the required wardrobe for Corvette ownership.

I feel more...complete, somehow.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-23-2020 09:33 PM #77
      Goes with the black shoes. Time for some enzodude poses.
      call it potatography

05-26-2020 02:23 AM #79
      C6 is going to be the 997 of Corvettes.

Vehicles
      19' Tiguan, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      05-26-2020 07:05 AM #80
      6 Welcome to the Corvette Family.
      Nice exterior color
      Don't forget to practice your Wave.
      I'm on the C7 forum but this one is pretty good - https://www.corvetteforum.com/
      Enjoy!

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-26-2020 12:34 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      C6 is going to be the 997 of Corvettes.
      It's a very different horse than a 996/97. With prices in the mid-high teens for a high mileage LS2 C6, the value proposition is hard to deny if you're willing to overlook the stigma and embrace a different type of experience.

The same money that bought this car would have bought a mid-high mile 1999-2001 996 Carrera, many of which haven't had the IMS bearing upgrade, not to mention things like the AOS, RMS, dual mass flywheel, motor mounts, the myriad of hoses in the cooling system that are now 20 years old, etc. And then most cars will need a suspension refresh: Track rods, control arms, dampers, etc.

I went through a good deal of that with my (68k mi) '02 Boxster S. I'd want to do the same preventative maintenance to most 996/997's I'd buy. It's $6-8k of work and only lessens the possibility of the M96 going boom, doesn't eliminate it.

This car needs a set of tires, a brake fluid flush, and maybe an oil change by comparison. And the LS3 has no real hidden time bombs that I've found (yet).
      Last edited by Numbersix; 05-26-2020 at 12:39 PM.

7. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-26-2020 01:06 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      And the LS3 has no real hidden time bombs that I've found (yet).
      Rockers fail if you wail on it. Ask me how I know.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-26-2020 01:26 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Rockers fail if you wail on it. Ask me how I know.
      LOL. Yes, you are definitely the guy GM should let do their severe duty durability testing in the future.

But even that doesn't cause irreparable damage like the IMS bearing or failed RMS can in an M96/M97.

05-26-2020 05:57 PM #84
      It's a very different horse than a 996/97. With prices in the mid-high teens for a high mileage LS2 C6, the value proposition is hard to deny if you're willing to overlook the stigma and embrace a different type of experience.

The same money that bought this car would have bought a mid-high mile 1999-2001 996 Carrera, many of which haven't had the IMS bearing upgrade, not to mention things like the AOS, RMS, dual mass flywheel, motor mounts, the myriad of hoses in the cooling system that are now 20 years old, etc. And then most cars will need a suspension refresh: Track rods, control arms, dampers, etc.

I went through a good deal of that with my (68k mi) '02 Boxster S. I'd want to do the same preventative maintenance to most 996/997's I'd buy. It's $6-8k of work and only lessens the possibility of the M96 going boom, doesn't eliminate it.

This car needs a set of tires, a brake fluid flush, and maybe an oil change by comparison. And the LS3 has no real hidden time bombs that I've found (yet).
      I meant it more along the lines of how how the 997 is now appreciated as the Goldilocks generation after a few newer 911s have come out.

Still with a foot solidly in the past, but just enough modernity to still be relevant.

C5 is very much an old school car, and c7 strayed a bit more from the formula.

I think the c6 is going to become much more appreciated as time goes by.

10. 05-26-2020 07:01 PM #85
      And the LS3 has no real hidden time bombs that I've found (yet).
      If you rip on it all the time and have a lot of time at high rpms, you're going to need to upgrade the valvetrain- the stock valve springs aren't cut out for that. Possibly the rockers and the pushrods as well.

You'll also need to switch to something like an ATI Superdamper harmonic balancer, and consider a Turn 1 power steering pump and running an underdrive balancer to keep the accessories happy.

If you're not going to do that, then disregard. For street use, no big issues other than the problematic clutch slave cylinder (the fix requires the clutch to be removed, so it's a $$$$ fix). Upgrading the shifter box to something like the new MGW shifter setup will improve precision but will make the shifter pretty notchy and increase effort.

If you drive like SoS (or at least how it sounds on the forum), then you probably need all of these things for street use.

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-27-2020 07:02 PM #86
      Today’s update:

Factory fitted Badyear RFT’s replaced with Michelin PS4S.

Can’t wait to drive it now.

12. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 A4 Titanium, '17 TT Alum Ford, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      05-27-2020 08:24 PM #87
      Amazing. I love this thread so much! Variety is truly the spice of life in so many areas.

13. 05-27-2020 08:27 PM #88
      Awesome! After you wear in the tires a little, it will be interesting to hear what you think of the PS4S.

It wouldn't surprise me if the vastly improved tires starts to highlight some of the deficiencies in the stock suspension. That's happened to me more than once.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-28-2020 02:27 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Awesome! After you wear in the tires a little, it will be interesting to hear what you think of the PS4S.

It wouldn't surprise me if the vastly improved tires starts to highlight some of the deficiencies in the stock suspension. That's happened to me more than once.
      Agreed-Car’s with my Dad at the moment, so he won’t push it hard. Initial reports are that tire noise is greatly reduced, and that the impact harshness is significantly lower over expansion joints and road imperfections.

I’ll be curious to see if the other issues I noted with the stock damping remain; my bet is yes. Bilsteins are likely still in its future.

At least now I won’t feel uncomfortable driving it enthusiastically, so I can start to better understand it’s dynamics.

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-28-2020 11:23 AM #90
      Agreed-Car’s with my Dad at the moment, so he won’t push it hard. Initial reports are that tire noise is greatly reduced, and that the impact harshness is significantly lower over expansion joints and road imperfections.

I’ll be curious to see if the other issues I noted with the stock damping remain; my bet is yes. Bilsteins are likely still in its future.

At least now I won’t feel uncomfortable driving it enthusiastically, so I can start to better understand it’s dynamics.
      While my heavy, and skinny front tire'd SS mauls PS4S's, the Evora does great with them. Hoping your C6 does as well, because aside from them falling apart on the SS, they're fantastic tires. Work great in the rain too.

<snip>
      If you drive like SoS (or at least how it sounds on the forum), then you probably need all of these things for street use.
      I went into LS ownership thinking they couldn't be killed. Oops. Few rockers and a cam later I learned a lesson. Thankfully it was fairly cheap to get it all back together. It's not like a lunched a cam in an M5.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-28-2020 07:32 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      While my heavy, and skinny front tire'd SS mauls PS4S's, the Evora does great with them. Hoping your C6 does as well, because aside from them falling apart on the SS, they're fantastic tires. Work great in the rain too.
      The Corvette weighs a bit less than the SS, and I probably won't drive it quite as hard as you might I wish the stock sizing offered more rubber up front vs. the 245/285 F/R, but we'll see if that is really an issue or not. Wet weather performance is definitely important up here, so I'm glad to hear you've found them to be solid.

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-09-2020 01:10 AM #92
      Quick update...

-Finally got the right paperwork and was able to complete the registration process. What a clusterf%&k that was. Don’t buy cars from the estate of a deceased person where 4 survivors are involved.

-Ordered Motul RBF600 to do a brake and clutch fluid flush as well as a brake fluid syringe.

-Ordered Bilsteins. They aren’t expensive and I want to make full use of the new Michelins.

-Wireless switch for the dual mode exhaust arrived. Need to install it when I go do the oil/filter and fluid flush, possibly next weekend.

-Rear window glass is being replaced this week. Something etched a couple of spots in the window. An expensive bummer, but negotiated into the selling price.

-Thanks to the generosity of 16volt, I am now fully into the Corvette Lifestyle(tm). Can’t wait to be able to show up at Cars and Coffee fully decked out. Any advice on where I can find a braided leather belt would be appreciated—feels like it’d tie the whole outfit together.

Last edited by Numbersix; 06-09-2020 at 01:17 AM.

18. Member
      Now: Seattle; Past: Windhoek, Dar es Salaam
      Vehicles
      1999 Land Cruiser
      06-09-2020 12:22 PM #93
      Came expecting chrome wheels. Leaving, disappointed?

19. 06-09-2020 12:25 PM #94
      The Corvette weighs a bit less than the SS, and I probably won't drive it quite as hard as you might I wish the stock sizing offered more rubber up front vs. the 245/285 F/R, but we'll see if that is really an issue or not. Wet weather performance is definitely important up here, so I'm glad to hear you've found them to be solid.
      I've had the prior generations of the tire and they were all great in the rain- Pilot Sport, PS2, PSS.
      I have the all-season version- Pilot Sport A/S 3+, also great in the rain.
      I also have the cousin- BFG Comp 2 A/S, also great in the rain.

So the Michelin genes make for great tires in the rain at least in the performance end of things. The OE Michelins on my W204 were terrible in all conditions, despite being "Pilot" HX MXM4 or something like that. PS A/S 3+ were night and day better- dry, wet and snow. I guess you can say that I'm a big Michelin fan, but I've had Bridgestone, Pirelli, Hankook, BFG, Michelin, Nokian, Yokohama, Dunlop, Goodyear and Sumitomo tires.

Vehicles
      MK1TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
      06-09-2020 12:27 PM #95
      Quick update...

-Thanks to the generosity of 16volt, I am now fully into the Corvette Lifestyle(tm). Can’t wait to be able to show up at Cars and Coffee fully decked out. Any advice on where I can find a braided leather belt would be appreciated—feels like it’d tie the whole outfit together.

IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-09-2020 01:02 PM #96
      I have New Balance shoes* and still have one remaining pair of jorts. Does this mean I have to buy a Corvette? I'm okay with that, except for the money part.

*New Balance is one of only two companies that make (and are stocked around here) freaky-feet® sized shoes. I wear 7 1/2 EEEE. Really.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-09-2020 01:44 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by CBJ View Post
      Came expecting chrome wheels. Leaving, disappointed?
      There's still time. Stay tuned.

23. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-09-2020 01:48 PM #98
      I've had the prior generations of the tire and they were all great in the rain- Pilot Sport, PS2, PSS.
      I have the all-season version- Pilot Sport A/S 3+, also great in the rain.
      I also have the cousin- BFG Comp 2 A/S, also great in the rain.

So the Michelin genes make for great tires in the rain at least in the performance end of things. The OE Michelins on my W204 were terrible in all conditions, despite being "Pilot" HX MXM4 or something like that. PS A/S 3+ were night and day better- dry, wet and snow. I guess you can say that I'm a big Michelin fan, but I've had Bridgestone, Pirelli, Hankook, BFG, Michelin, Nokian, Yokohama, Dunlop, Goodyear and Sumitomo tires.
      I have AS/3+ on my 2016 GTI (which replaced a set of AS/3's). I agree with Jason Cammisa that they are the best AS performance tire available. Very good in the dry and remarkable in the wet.

I considered ExtremeContact Sports for the Corvette--I put them on the 986S right when they launched and mostly liked them. They would have likely been fine, but I want to try and let this chassis live up to its potential.

I think Z51 swaybars will be next, but I need to get the shocks replaced first and a baseline service completed and drive it for awhile.

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      06-09-2020 01:48 PM #99

well im honestly not sure how this thread gets any better at this point.

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-09-2020 01:49 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I have New Balance shoes* and still have one remaining pair of jorts. Does this mean I have to buy a Corvette? I'm okay with that, except for the money part.
      Yes.

It does.

And a decent C5 is now a sub-$10k proposition. Just saying.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast