VWVortex.com - An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Results 126 to 150 of 156

    Thread: An unexpected COVID-19 purchase. Or, how do we now have two American cars? (C6 content within)

    1. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-17-2020 05:21 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      nice! im digging that this is now a fashion + vette thread

      also looks like your dad has a pretty roomy shop...
      He does. I only wish it wasn't such a disaster. My Dad is not good at purging, or keeping things organized. There are a LOT of tools in there--the question is where to find them.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-21-2020 10:11 PM #127
      Got the shocks installed today. Not a terrible job, overall—about an hour a corner on average.


      This is how you remove a front shock on a C5/C6.




      Initial impressions: Ride is surprisingly good. Not wallowy like the OEM dampers, but not harsh either. Haven’t done any freeway driving yet, but driving on twisty backroads with uneven/somewhat damaged pavement was very good (I give equal credit to the Michelin’s for that—the RFT’s were terrible on this stretch before).

      I still think a sway bar upgrade is in its future, but this is a very solid first step.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 06-21-2020 at 10:50 PM.

    4. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-22-2020 11:52 AM #128
      Prior C5/C6 owners:

      Does anyone have recommendations for brake fluid? I looked at RBF600, but it's recommended to replace DOT4 each year and I'm not sure I want to do that unless I decide to track the car (I'd want to do a couple of other things ahead of that, like sway bars and maybe an oil cooler).

      Also, thoughts on braided brake lines? I've installed them on a couple of cars, and am not a huge fan after having one fail catastrophically during a panic stop in the Miata (prior owner installed them).

    5. Member turbo_nine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2000
      Posts
      12,852
      Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      06-22-2020 12:26 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      This is how you remove a front shock on a C5/C6.
      Did the new Bilsteins come with a packing strap holding them compressed too, or how did you deal with that?
      call it potatography

    6. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,183
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      06-22-2020 12:49 PM #130
      I run Motul RBF660 in both of my cars Jon, but I change the fluid annually. It adds up. Unless you’re really going to hammer on that C6, I’d just run the stock fluid and lines.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    7. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-22-2020 01:02 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Did the new Bilsteins come with a packing strap holding them compressed too, or how did you deal with that?
      These did not. Which surprised me a bit.

      Same method as removing the fronts: Compress them and tighten the zip ties. Combined with a jack under the hub, made things pretty easy.

    8. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-22-2020 01:04 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I run Motul RBF660 in both of my cars Jon, but I change the fluid annually. It adds up. Unless you’re really going to hammer on that C6, I’d just run the stock fluid and lines.
      Gotcha. It's not THAT big of a deal to change it annually.

      I'd like to do a DE day with it in the next year--probably not this year as I don't think anyone will be doing in-car instruction. Hence I'm thinking about what I'd need to do to the brakes to ensure they are up to the task. The car has the Z51 brakes on it (essentially bigger cross drilled rotors, different caliper carriers, and more aggressive stock pads), but I'd want to install a different pad and good fluid at a minimum.

    9. 06-22-2020 01:11 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Prior C5/C6 owners:

      Does anyone have recommendations for brake fluid? I looked at RBF600, but it's recommended to replace DOT4 each year and I'm not sure I want to do that unless I decide to track the car (I'd want to do a couple of other things ahead of that, like sway bars and maybe an oil cooler).

      Also, thoughts on braided brake lines? I've installed them on a couple of cars, and am not a huge fan after having one fail catastrophically during a panic stop in the Miata (prior owner installed them).
      Depends on what you want to do with the car. For street driving, that's way overkill. I ran ATE type 200 because I have lots of it. No issues at all. I put new fluid in every couple years. Easy way is to buy the test strips and test the system for moisture.

      Braided brake lines for street driving? Unnecessary. It's a lot more critical that you examine them on a regular basis for damage. DOT compliant braided lines are crimped, so they're also throwaway items.

    10. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-22-2020 01:35 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Depends on what you want to do with the car. For street driving, that's way overkill. I ran ATE type 200 because I have lots of it. No issues at all. I put new fluid in every couple years. Easy way is to buy the test strips and test the system for moisture.

      Braided brake lines for street driving? Unnecessary. It's a lot more critical that you examine them on a regular basis for damage. DOT compliant braided lines are crimped, so they're also throwaway items.
      Gotcha. I'll pick up some Type 200.

    11. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-25-2020 12:43 PM #135
      Now that I’ve had the baseline stuff done for a few days, a couple of impressions:

      -The gearing still surprises me about how long it is. It isn’t happy doing steep hill starts in first, for instance, without some revs. This is made trickier by the fact the clutch releases near the top of its travel. I can see where the lower gearing of the Z51 cars could be of benefit.
      -The Michelins improved steering feel a fair bit over the Goodyears, but it still isn’t what I’d call telepathic. The steering system received updates to improve feel in 2008–I hate to think of what the 2005-07 cars must be like.
      -They also have dramatically lowered the interior noise level on the freeway, something I didn’t expect.
      -The Bilsteins feel just about perfect for a street driven car that might do 1-2 autocross was/DE days a year. The ride is firm, but not harsh, and body control is significantly improved over the stock dampers.
      -There is still more body roll than I’d like, so sway bars are next on the list.
      -Shifter feels surprisingly good. The 2005-07 cars were knocked for having truck-like shift feel; the 08-up cars have a new transmission design. I don’t think I’d want a short shift kit.
      -The Bose audio system sucks. (I know, shocking.) I have new door speakers on order along with some damping material; hoping that makes enough of an improvement for now.
      -Removing the top is a bit unwieldy, but it stows nicely and doesn’t rattle at all.

      I’m also surprised to see the specs of the C6. It’s *shorter* than a typical 997 generation 911, and weighs around 3250lbs. They aren’t the huge pigs I always thought.


      Last edited by Numbersix; 06-25-2020 at 04:21 PM.

    12. 06-25-2020 03:15 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Now that I’ve had the baseline stuff done for a few days, a couple of impressions:

      -The Michelin’s improved steering feel a fair bit over the Goodyear’s, but it still isn’t what I’d call telepathic. The steering system recurved updates to improve feel in 2008–I hate to think of what the 2005-07 cars must be like.

      I’m also surprised to see the specs of the C6. It’s *shorter* than a typical 997 generation 911, and weighs around 3250lbs. They aren’t the huge pigs I always thought.
      Doug Rippie Motorsports sells a Delrin bushing for the steering column- that will improve your steering feel significantly because it takes a squishy soft bushing out of the steering.

      C6s are about the same size as a 997 but they sure don't feel like it- the hood feels like it's a mile long.

    13. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-25-2020 03:23 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Doug Rippie Motorsports sells a Delrin bushing for the steering column- that will improve your steering feel significantly because it takes a squishy soft bushing out of the steering.

      C6s are about the same size as a 997 but they sure don't feel like it- the hood feels like it's a mile long.
      Exactly—I think the fact you sit so far back in the chassis, and that it’s a much lower vehicle overall (height is 7-8” less overall than a 997) contribute to making it feel much larger.

      I just ordered the DRM steering rack bushing. More feedback would be certainly welcome. Thanks again for the tip!
      Last edited by Numbersix; 06-25-2020 at 04:20 PM.

    14. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,183
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      06-25-2020 03:40 PM #138
      Glad you're enjoying it!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    15. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-26-2020 10:26 PM #139
      Today’s after work project was replacing the 3.5” door speakers in the Bose system. Allegedly this system has 9 speakers; you’d think the odd number would be for a sub, but no—its for a center channel mounted in the top of the dash. The one interesting thing about this system: each door has a 10” low frequency driver with its own amp. Never seen that in a passenger car. photo for reference:



      The stock 3.5” units are typical paper cone Bose crap, and had terrible resolution in the mid/high frequencies (even to my old and damaged ears).

      My phone battery died as I was working on this so I didn’t get any mod-project photos, unfortunately. I installed Infinity Reference 3.5 coax units in their place, and added a little sound deadening. I also disconnected the center channel.

      It’s not a transformation, but it is much better than stock with those small changes. I can live with it for now.

      Last edited by Numbersix; 06-27-2020 at 12:38 AM.

    16. Member landstuhltaylor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2011
      Location
      CBUS
      Posts
      1,647
      Vehicles
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      06-27-2020 10:38 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Gotcha. It's not THAT big of a deal to change it annually.

      I'd like to do a DE day with it in the next year--probably not this year as I don't think anyone will be doing in-car instruction. Hence I'm thinking about what I'd need to do to the brakes to ensure they are up to the task. The car has the Z51 brakes on it (essentially bigger cross drilled rotors, different caliper carriers, and more aggressive stock pads), but I'd want to install a different pad and good fluid at a minimum.
      I run RBF600 in the Camaro and the brake/clutch pedala go to **** in 6 months. I always bleed them at the beginning of the season in April and again in late August right before Nats. No way I would bother with fluid like that in a street only or street with some autocross car.

      I also have the Delrin version of the DRM rack bushing in my car. Steering feel is legitimately good. Not just good for a GM car, but actually good. Of course that's due to more than just the rack bushing but it is part of the package.
      Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 06-27-2020 at 10:41 AM.

    17. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-27-2020 06:37 PM #141
      Did a 4hr drive with 16volt, turbo_nine, and a couple of other folks today on some twisty back roads NE of Seattle.




      One of these things is not like the other...







      This is my first opportunity to drive the car on anything but freeway or residential streets since doing the tires and Bilsteins. What I learned...

      -The ride is far more composed than with the OEM shocks. I fully expected it to scrape the lip over a few dips in the road and it didn’t do so once.
      -The Michelins offer much better response—the car turns in far better.
      -There is still more body roll than I’d like, and transitions left/right still feel like there is significant weight transfer. Makes the car feel bigger than it is.
      -Thanks to the torque, at reasonable speeds you can just leave it in 4th and move between corners.

      Coming into Arlington, a couple of young guys in an E46 lost their **** over the e24’s and my buddy’s Estoril e36 M3. We pulled over to talk about our route and they pulled up to check out the cars. Totally ignored the Corvette.

      Last edited by Numbersix; 06-27-2020 at 06:40 PM.

    18. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-27-2020 08:37 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
      I run RBF600 in the Camaro and the brake/clutch pedala go to **** in 6 months. I always bleed them at the beginning of the season in April and again in late August right before Nats. No way I would bother with fluid like that in a street only or street with some autocross car.

      I also have the Delrin version of the DRM rack bushing in my car. Steering feel is legitimately good. Not just good for a GM car, but actually good. Of course that's due to more than just the rack bushing but it is part of the package.
      Thanks for that feedback. 6 month fluid flushes are definitely not happening for me, so Ate Type 200 it is.

      Also good to know re: the rack bushing. Some people say the 2012-13 cars have improved steering, but I wouldn’t know it by the drive.

    19. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,183
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      06-28-2020 01:28 AM #143
      Looks like fun. Part of me still wants to buy Shannon's E24 even though it's beige.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    20. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-28-2020 01:57 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Looks like fun. Part of me still wants to buy Shannon's E24 even though it's beige.
      That car amazes me. Fired up first try, not a whiff of smoke, runs like a top, enough grunt to spin those 18’s still. And damn if it isn’t one of the best things you can see filling your rear view mirror.

    21. Member turbo_nine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2000
      Posts
      12,852
      Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      06-28-2020 02:04 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Coming into Arlington, a couple of young guys in an E46 lost their **** over the e24’s and my buddy’s Estoril e36 M3. We pulled over to talk about our route and they pulled up to check out the cars. Totally ignored the Corvette.
      Yeah they ignored my E24 too

      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That car amazes me. Fired up first try, not a whiff of smoke, runs like a top, enough grunt to spin those 18’s still. And damn if it isn’t one of the best things you can see filling your rear view mirror.
      I got spoiled with that most of the way. I do think an E24 is one of the cooler things to see in your rear view.
      call it potatography

    22. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,951
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      06-29-2020 10:21 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That car amazes me. Fired up first try, not a whiff of smoke, runs like a top, enough grunt to spin those 18’s still. And damn if it isn’t one of the best things you can see filling your rear view mirror.
      It is truly a good car. The last time it ran was last year at this exact same time. Plus a little wet road and she gets all angry and slidey. After the drive I think all the flat spots in the tires were gone. Thanks for putting this together.

    23. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,951
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      06-29-2020 10:22 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Looks like fun. Part of me still wants to buy Shannon's E24 even though it's beige.
      The beige grows on you.

    24. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-30-2020 04:12 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      It is truly a good car. The last time it ran was last year at this exact same time. Plus a little wet road and she gets all angry and slidey. After the drive I think all the flat spots in the tires were gone. Thanks for putting this together.
      Let's do it again sometime soon, perhaps with better weather. I was thinking on the drive that the Michelins were magic, then we hit REAL rain in Seattle and I learned they are no match for 428 lb/ft of torks as I pulled away from the stoplight.

    25. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,392
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-30-2020 04:13 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      The beige grows on you.
      Bronzit is like beige's more handsome cousin.

      Jon Cryer = beige; Jon Hamm = Bronzit.

    26. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,337
      Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      06-30-2020 08:53 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Bronzit is like beige's more handsome cousin.

      Jon Cryer = beige; Jon Hamm = Bronzit.
      Paint it chalk and SoS will take it in a heartbeat.

      Glad to see you enjoying it on the open road!

    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.