VWVortex.com - 2017 Sportwagen - Things to Check Before Warranty Expires?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2017 Sportwagen - Things to Check Before Warranty Expires?

1. 05-18-2020 10:22 PM #1
      Any advice on what my mechanic should be checking car out for before warranty expires in 4 months?

Thanks in advance, Ross

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW GSW S 6MT
      05-19-2020 03:53 AM #2
      Hello
      Off the top of my head, everything...lol.

-FlyingYankee

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      05-19-2020 07:22 AM #3
      A bit strange to me to have the car gone over by a mechanic in an attempt to get every last drop out of a warranty. If something is broken and needs repair it should be more than obvious to you. Folks and their warranty fettish.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic IS20 yadda yadda yadda
      12.34/110.84/1.90 60' on the Dragy
      4.09 0-60

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf Alltrack SE 6MT, 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T (sold)
      05-19-2020 10:58 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      A bit strange to me to have the car gone over by a mechanic in an attempt to get every last drop out of a warranty. If something is broken and needs repair it should be more than obvious to you. Folks and their warranty fettish.

I mean...not everything is obvious depending on how much the owner knows where to look. How about a leaking thermostat/water pump - I would check for leaking coolant (and low reservoir). That's a known issue on the 1.8T (known to the forums at least).

If OP has a sunroof, they should get any issues with that sorted out. Yes, that is an obvious one.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

7. Junior Member
      05-19-2020 03:50 PM #5
      I have had 2 things replaced under warranty on my 2017 GSW 4MO:

1.Thermostat Housing for coolant leak

2. The Timing Chain Cover for an oil leak

Your timing chain cover they won't replace until it is visibly leaking, but covered under powertrain warranty.

8. 05-20-2020 07:24 PM #6
      Both of those are news to me.

My turbo was replaced due to the wastegate actuator, just before the warranty went out.

And most certainly check the sunroof.
      2015 Sportwagen TSI
      2000 VFR800

9. 05-22-2020 11:17 AM #7
      I think the pano roof is part of a VW coverage after the warranty is over,due to issues that are well known.. I would have the drains checked with every oil changed especially if the car is parked outside all the time.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      05-22-2020 11:33 PM #8
      I would start at the front driver’s side tire and work your way counter clockwise. Go ahead and give that spare tire a kick as well.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Cabby
      05-23-2020 12:01 PM #9
      On the thermostat housing leak issue, there are long and informative threads on this forum in the Golf/GTI MKVII section, as well as a sticky on Reddit, and a lengthy thread on GolfMK7.com as well.

Long and and short of it is that there have been 6 or 7 (I can’t recall off the top of my head) revisions to the thermostat housing, which is the bigger of the two parts of the whole waterpump/thermostat housing assembly, and they have failed to solve the issue.

I have had 4 replacements on two MK7 vehicles.

The main failure mode is that the plastic thermostat housings warp over time due to heating and cooling and the seal fail. It is typically a slow leak and you’ll notice your coolant expansion tank level drop over time. I was having to top up evert 5k miles or 4-6 months on my 2017 GTI Sport. My wife’s 2015 Golf SE was a bit slower of a leak, but ultimately experienced two failures as did mine. Some people have a sudden loss of most of their coolant from the reservoir and see a puddle or trail on the driveway.

The second failure mode which was responsible for my GTI’s second failure is that a nearby “Accessory gasket” that is in the oil cooler area can fail, or be improperly reinstalled after a repair such as this, causing A minor oil leak which drips down onto.... you guessed it! The thermostat housing, causing the seal to fail again.

These issues are very common, perhaps the most common problem across the entire MQB platform IMO.

Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S MT
      05-24-2020 05:41 PM #10
      ^this. Same for me, replaced under warranty.
      "Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world". ~ Publius Syrus, 100 BC

Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S MT
      05-24-2020 05:49 PM #11

With a deep bow of Respect, Karst,

Some of us are not engineers with as much vdub experience, knowledge and attention to detail as you,
      so we HAVE to depend on trusted mechs to spot things we would never know better until the hard way.

My advice to OP is ask around among vdub enthusiasts to find trusted family owned independent german car shop to do an inspection, and pay for that like you might if careful on a used car private party purchase.

Cost you $150 or so and cheap insurance for peace of mind. If theres problems,
      Their written assessment will give VW dealer the proof to forward to VWOA for warranty work reimbursement,
      Thats much more valuable than uour noob anxiety.

And you may have a start of another knowledgeable second opinion or the go-to mech on repairs you cant do yourself when dealer warranty is over.

Remember- biggest profit margin at car dealers is service. They want you to come back and if you show commitment to becoming informed customer you will appreciate good work done at a fair price.
      That builds credibility and good will both ways.
      Enjoy your ride, keep reading here: there is DEEP knowledge on vortex, Karst among many others in particular.
      Last edited by Foodogg; 05-24-2020 at 05:57 PM.
      "Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world". ~ Publius Syrus, 100 BC

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      05-25-2020 07:15 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Foodogg View Post

Some of us are not engineers with as much vdub experience, knowledge and attention to detail as you,
      so we HAVE to depend on trusted mechs to spot things we would never know better until the hard way.

My advice to OP is ask around among vdub enthusiasts to find trusted family owned independent german car shop to do an inspection, and pay for that like you might if careful on a used car private party purchase.

Their written assessment will give VW dealer the proof to forward to VWOA for warranty work reimbursement,

And you may have a start of another knowledgeable second opinion or the go-to mech on repairs you cant do yourself when dealer warranty is over.

Remember- biggest profit margin at car dealers is service. They want you to come back and if you show commitment to becoming informed customer you will appreciate good work done at a fair price.
      Enjoy your ride, keep reading here: there is DEEP knowledge on vortex, Karst among many others in particular.
      My point was that paying someone to go over every inch of your car to make a "warranty wish list" to take the dealer seems a bit excessive and isn't really in the spirit of what the warranty is for - to correct manufacturer's defects. There are lots of people that treat the warranty like "free service/no out-of-pocket for repairs" which is not what it is for. The big one on the MK7 is the coolant leak/thermostat housing that may not be noticeable but that they will cover.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic IS20 yadda yadda yadda
      12.34/110.84/1.90 60' on the Dragy
      4.09 0-60

Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S MT
      05-30-2020 10:45 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Foodogg View Post

My point was that paying someone to go over every inch of your car to make a "warranty wish list" to take the dealer seems a bit excessive and isn't really in the spirit of what the warranty is for - to correct manufacturer's defects. There are lots of people that treat the warranty like "free service/no out-of-pocket for repairs" which is not what it is for. The big one on the MK7 is the coolant leak/thermostat housing that may not be noticeable but that they will cover.
      Here is a link to the afore- mentioned reddit post with NHTSA recall info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/com...coolant_level/

Here is a link to a long thread at Golfmk7 dot com that explains the issue.

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TSi, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8t
      05-31-2020 02:57 AM #14
      Here to that lol. I just finished mine today, it’s not too difficult to do but if warranty pays then better off. I just replaced my water pump/thermostat ASSY I bought from cascade German (INA original for $190) belt, belt tensioner, manual trans gear oil, cleaned intake carbon not bad for 109k, oil change, coolant service, radiator hoses, and all filters on my 2015 gsw.
      2015 Golf Sportwagen S TSi 5MT in Tungsten Silver
      2004 Golf GTI 1.8T 5MT in Silverstone Gray
      2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor