VWVortex.com - The 2020 Shelby GT350 is a massive pain in the a**, and I love it dearly
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Shelby GT350 is a massive pain in the a**, and I love it dearly

1. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      2020 GT350, 2019 Ridgeline Sport
      05-18-2020 11:11 PM #1
      Everyone's sharing their quarantine purchase stories, so I suppose it's only fair to add another to the list.

When it comes to taking chances, P.J. O'Rourke wrote, some people play poker or shoot dice; other parachute-jump, go rhino hunting, or climb ice floes, while still others engage in crime or marriage. The problem with engaging in marriage, it needs to be noted, is that not a lot of them are built for winter, and when they do fizzle out, the process is lengthy, expensive, and the stress of the proceedings makes some men resort to wholly irrational acts, such as buying lime-green cars.

But first, some background. I was two years into a three-year lease on a '17 MINI Cooper S, and was looking for a replacement. My friends, bless 'em, tolerated my flights of fancy that ran, in no particular order, from a Taycan Turbo to a Cayenne Hybrid to an RS 6 Avant to a Kia Telluride SX to a Rivian R1T to a Genesis GV80 to a Lincoln Aviator Black Label PHEV. I had completely forgotten that GT350s were even a thing, an oversight which is understandable when living on Seattle's east side. Tesla ownership constitutes the barrier to entry of some (admittedly preposterous) social circles here and the only time an American car sits in most people's driveways is when a handyman — one who can't afford a Metris or Sprinter — is fixing something.

The concept of the GT350 scratched the part of my mind that wanted something entirely impractical and just enough outside of the mainstream to avoid seeing them everywhere, so I started watching YouTube videos, and scouring dealerships. I decided I'd treat myself to one after the divorce was finalized, but then mediation moved into trial and trial moved into continuances, and seven months later when a settlement was finally reached we were deep in the throes of COVID-19 and production lines being shuttered and 'essential personnel' at dealerships being the only ones who could operate. MY2019 GT350s were disappearing and the few 2020s that were built (2000 units were planned, but virus issues have likely cut that short as once Flat Rock fires back up Ford is going to scramble to build more of the newer, hotter, more ADM-friendly GT500) were almost all equipped with the heated-and-cooled leather seats, which swapped out the GT350's standard high-back Recaros for the flat, shapeless seats of the standard Mustang GT.

2020 did bring with it a few changes, though. The 5.2L aluminum block and heads, as well as the oil pump, were beefed up for the supercharged GT500. Those pieces were carried back into use for the GT350, so MY2020 builds have overbuilt and under-stressed pieces versus every other model year. And, like an indulgent parent, Ford decided to offer Grabber Lime on Mustangs. Oh, please sir, may I have another.

And that's how it came to pass that I was sitting at a Ford dealership (that also sold Simplicity lawn tractors) in tiny Marble Hill, Missouri, in the middle of a pandemic, writing a check for a car that is — charitably — absolutely chucklef*cking insane. And to think it almost didn't happen, either, as United had canceled my regional connecting flight from Chicago to little Cape Girardeau (juh-RAWR-do; rhyming with 'Corrado'), MO. Never mind. Enterprise has offices in every little town in America and was all to happy to rent a GMC Acadia for a one-way trip. They were so very friendly and accommodating that I almost feel terrible about taking out a fully-grown male deer somewhere outside Carbondale and limping what was left of their formerly-pristine Acadia the remainder of the way to the hotel.

She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' driving machine!

After less than an hour at the dealership, I had four days to cover 2300 miles between eastern Missouri and Seattle. Just me, a flaming skittle-colored Mustang, and an engine that is known for either failing entirely in the first thousand miles, or not having any problems at all. I was not, as they say, holding my breath to find out what would happen. I eased out onto Route 34, careful not to honk on the 3.1-mile drivetrain too quickly, and was promptly passed by a Malibu Maxx that crossed over the double lines to get by.

There is a mechanical intensity to operating every control on the GT350 that never fails to impress with how it ever got out of a focus group and put into production. The Tremec TR-3160 has what Ford calls 'aggressive rail detents' and which you have likely correctly surmised means that this thing likes to be manhandled. It does not have these effortlessly rewarding precise motions that you'd expect from an early NSX or, well, the NV3500 that I had in my 1997 C3500 tow truck. It forces you to engage with it. The clutch — near as I can tell — doesn't have some ponce-y orifice restrictor in it to prevent engaging it too quickly. If you step off too fast, you're breaking the rear end free. The upshot of that is that the GT350 rewards blipping the throttle to rev-match downshifts in a way that makes even ham-handed me look and sound like a hero. The Voodoo will happily wind itself up with a flick of the throttle — no deadweight flywheels or annoying rev-hang there.

I would like to leave you with one word concerning the GT350's straight-line stability, and that word is tramlining. Like, seriously. I don't know how owners of the GT350R, which has 305/30-19s from and 315s rear, can handle it. As it stands, the 'normal' GT350's 295/35-19s front and 305s rear have one mission in life, and that's to reach an equilibrium with the road by seeking out the lowest spots. This manifests itself by sudden, unwanted, jerks of the wheel — which requires more force to keep pointed straight ahead than you may suspect. If you see a GT350 driver with both hands gripped firmly on the tiller, chances are that they're not playing boy-racer, so much as they're trying not to eat a curb.

There's a good amount of vibration isolation going on, because touching anything that's hard-mounted to the body shell at speed transmits a whir of drivetrain vibration up your arm, like you're in a dream where you look down and realize that you're not in a GT350, but you're actually riding a human-sized cellphone vibration motor that's going about its business vigorously. This is entirely due to its flat-plane V8, and one day twenty years from now I look forward to an oral history of how someone managed to shove an engine this big and with this much character through Ford product planning without getting fired.

At its heart, the Voodoo is just such a platypus of design that it shouldn't work at all, and yet, it does. The cylinders fire alternate banks on the same crankpin, 1-5, 4-8, 3-7, 2-6, setting up a lope that alternates left-right-left-right and front to back at the same time.

Doing so meant that the outboard counterweights on the crankshaft had to be massive relative to the size of the others. And the less said about the design session that resulted in the four-into-three-into-one tubular exhaust headers, the better. Let's not even get started on the mean piston speed of 25.6 meters per second (versus 25.2 m/s for the S2000's F20C). Or that the 5.2 doesn't have direct injection. Or the plastic oil pan that holds ten quarts of 5W-50 synthetic. Or that each engine is hand-built on what Ford calls its 'Niche Line' at its Romeo engine plant. There's a plaque on the passenger-side valve cover that has the builder's signature pressed into it, and so I would like to say thanks to James Williams for making the magic happen. By a staggering enough coincidence, I punched his name into Google and back came an article in 'Hot Rod' magazine about the Romeo Niche Line that shadowed him during a build, and, well, not only does James build a hell of an engine, he looks like someone that'd be fun to grab a beer with sometime.

In a way, the Shelby's high weirdness was its key attraction to me. Ford's Romeo engine plant that builds the 5.2 is slated for closure, and its product lines (5.0 and 6.2 V8s, and the 5.2 Voodoo and 5.2 Predator) sure don't seem long for this world. The prospect of a port-injected, temperamental, high-strung, naturally-aspirated V8 that requires a $1300 gas-guzzler tax is a dim one in a world where Rivian's 'tank turn' generates the more impressive mindshare. The likelihood of something this nuts being produced by a volume manufacturer ever again exists in the boundary between slim and nil. If this is gonna be the swan song of the ICE, it's a hell of a good tune to go out with.

The GT350 doesn't exactly have a good personality. It doesn't have a bad personality, either. What it does have is a lot of personality, and like people with a lot of personality it's hard to decide how to feel about that. It does have a back seat, which is important as I'll be driving my eight-year-old stepdaughter around, but to try to daily this car is just a bridge too far. It's too purposeful. It's too uncompromising to offer such niceties as ground clearance or mileage in the high teens. It has a button on the dashboard with a pictogram of exhaust tips on it, for Christ's sake, right next to the button that enables the launch control. It doesn't even have the good-neighbor mode to quiet up the exhaust that the 5.0-engined Mustangs do. The GT350 is a quiet car, for sure, until you turn it on.

Even gently using it strains the boundaries of reasonable. The standard GT350's front lip will gracelessly rub on everything. It rubs pulling into my driveway. It rubs backing out of my driveway. It rubs on the approach ramp to my office garage. It rubs on speed bumps that are slightly taller than normal. It rewards those who inch into parking lots from a main street and punishes those who don't. And this is the conservative option. The GT350R's front splitter sits lower and extends out even further. As it stands, I can't even creep the toes of my shoes under the standard 350's piece when trying to check the oil. Solution? New OEM pieces are $400 for the full set. I have two spares; one to replace the original when it get ratty, and one to put on before I sell it.

Use this car daily? Yeah, it's not going to happen.

And so that's how it further came to pass that four days after bringing the Shelby home, I brought it a companion in the form of a 2019 Honda Ridgeline Sport. The last of the six-speed automatics, the year before the shifter was swapped for that awful pushbutton thing all the nine-speed transmissions get, and the remaining few Ridgelines to get any kind of factory leasing support, as well as a $1000 owner-loyalty bonus. And for the half of the year in Seattle where driving a 526-horsepower car on Pilot Sport Cup 2s is just begging to be a statistic, the Ridgeline has tall, chunky tires, great sightlines, and AWD.

I think I'm gonna take a break from car shopping for a while. Now, who's in the Seattle area and wants to go for a drive?
      Last edited by Parklife; 05-18-2020 at 11:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat, 1988 Honda VTR 250
      05-18-2020 11:18 PM #2
      Amazing and wonderful. Congrats on all your achievements this year, and thanks for the vivid impression of springing a GT350 on yourself.
      I said, Rock, what's a matter with you rock?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-18-2020 11:27 PM #3
      Congrats, that looks awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
      By a staggering enough coincidence, I punched his name into Google and back came an article in 'Hot Rod' magazine about the Romeo Niche Line that shadowed him during a build, and, well, not only does James build a hell of an engine, he looks like someone that'd be fun to grab a beer with sometime.
      When I read this I thought 'oh, sure, easy to say about a lot of people.' Then I scrolled down, saw the picture, and was like:

5. Member
      05-18-2020 11:30 PM #4
      threads like these have kept me coming here from the age of 14 to 31. wild change of pace, enjoy!
      2019 RS3 // 2019 SQ5 // 2020 Silverado RST

05-18-2020 11:30 PM #5
      TCL is on fire. Who knew it took a pandemic to bring out purchase fever. Hopefully I'll be seeing your car around when I have an excuse to cruise around the Eastside. I'm assuming you're in Bellevue/Kirkland, those areas have such a great stock of 60's homes. Glad you're enjoying life to the fullest.

EDIT: Didn't even look at the location in your profile.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      05-18-2020 11:45 PM #6
      Seems like a decent daily to me The splitter is only plastic and gas is cheap at the moment.
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-18-2020 11:51 PM #7
      Masterfully done. I was pleased to join this virtually in progress throughout the journey in semi-real time. Although due to my own weekend shenanigans, I have yet to see it in person.

Drive, you say...? You working Friday?

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-19-2020 12:11 AM #8
      Congrats. The sound of this engine alone is worth the money.

Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      05-19-2020 12:13 AM #9

I think I'm gonna take a break from car shopping for a while. Now, who's in the Seattle area and wants to go for a drive?
      In

Car looks great, congrats!
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

11. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      05-19-2020 12:21 AM #10
      Non-sequitur: can the Ridgeline tow the GT350 in a pinch?

Congrats. What an awesome pair of purchases.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      05-19-2020 12:36 AM #11
      Buy GT350 get Ridgeline free?

Not bad!

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-19-2020 12:51 AM #12
      Love. It.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

05-19-2020 01:11 AM #13
      The gt350 is going to be one of the few American cars that command huge money at auction in 30 years.

Nicely done

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Taco
      05-19-2020 01:18 AM #14
      This was such an emotional and well-conjured post that I almost forgot how weird of a week I'm having and really started wondering if I could swing a sports car again.

Congratulations and enjoy in good health! That looks like a dang near perfect two car garage.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      05-19-2020 07:20 AM #15
      Really, really nice write-up, and that green is a knock-out.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 05-19-2020 at 08:28 AM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      16 Mustang GT Premium PP, 93 Corrado SLC
      05-19-2020 07:31 AM #16
      Fantastic write up! Congratulations on the purchase!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-19-2020 07:47 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      Seems like a decent daily to me The splitter is only plastic and gas is cheap at the moment.
      Depends on your commute I guess. 30 minutes of this thing droning down a highway sounds like hell to me, as awesome as this car is.

Congrats on the purchase OP, you damn near write like a car journalist
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      05-19-2020 07:59 AM #18
      RE: Tramlining - I never knew the word for it, but my recent COVID-19 purchase has shown me that's a thing.
      My parents both live in Seattle right now, and I've all but seen the ruts that regularly grace your highways. I have 245(F) and 295(R) that already like to follow the pavement grooves. I can't imagine 295 fronts...
      Regardless, awesome pickup (not the actual pickup, though ) - thank you for buying a car with a color, too
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      05-19-2020 08:02 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post

Congrats on the purchase OP, you damn near write like a car journalist
      Oh boy, have we got some news for you.

You're telling us that you're NOT familiar with the most gracefully shuttered Pulitzer-winnirgefjklnsgkjf automotive lifestyle, panned photograph, European-adjacent (not even Balkan) publication of the last 13 years, Motive Magazine?

On that note, I had to hide behind the old HQ last week when on a mildly fast and relatively responsible road bike ride—after I threw a rowdy "WHAT THE **** MAN? PISS OFF" and a strongly worded finger in the direction of an angry old man who twice swerved at me—said angry old man tried to chase me down. Nothing says "This...this is how I want to die" like being followed by a 2008 Nissan Altima until it stops and watches you from afar.

Upon the old HQ garage door I found not two, but four dusty handprints displayed in a pattern strikingly reminiscent of two young rapscallions engaged in standing rear entry coitus.

Not sure what my point is, but now you know

Oh and cool car. I believe the inside scoop is that people DID get fired for it, and I thank them for their sacrifice because we're never going to see a car like this again
      Last edited by HotCarlWeathers; 05-19-2020 at 08:22 AM.

21. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      05-19-2020 08:11 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      Oh boy, have we got some news for you

Nice buy Wes, I love the colour. I too am replacing a 2017 Mini soon and the replacement will definitely not be this exciting.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      05-19-2020 08:19 AM #21
      MY2019 GT350s were disappearing and the few 2020s that were built (2000 units were planned, but virus issues have likely cut that short as once Flat Rock fires back up Ford is going to scramble to build more of the newer, hotter, more ADM-friendly GT500) were almost all equipped with the heated-and-cooled leather seats, which swapped out the GT350's standard high-back Recaros for the flat, shapeless seats of the standard Mustang GT.
      We get to see the inside of the trucklet, but not the Shelby? I think I see the Recaros through the window in one photo. Is that was necessitated the long trip? Looking for one without the regular seats?

Anyway, awesome car, awesome color, well written post.

Vehicles
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      05-19-2020 09:15 AM #22
      Parklife is back!

Cool car. I would take the GT350 over the GT500 every day and then twice on Sunday. Boost is fun, but N/A revs is where it's really at.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      05-19-2020 09:34 AM #23
      Fantastic purchase, great writeup, excellent color choice. 5/5!
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      05-19-2020 09:38 AM #24
      so ridgeline ftw?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      05-19-2020 09:50 AM #25
      Great write-up! I love the description of the Voodoo motor as a platypus.

Man, the centre stack on that Ridgeline looks dreary.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast