VWVortex.com - The 2020 Shelby GT350 is a massive pain in the a**, and I love it dearly
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Shelby GT350 is a massive pain in the a**, and I love it dearly

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Century, Suzuki Super Carry, something else
      05-20-2020 08:29 PM #76
      That was wonderful to read. Congratulations on the GT350 and thank you for sharing your story.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-20-2020 09:25 PM #77
      Congrats again, Wes. Fantastic write-up, as expected.

But I'm still bummed you weren't able to stop by on your way home.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

05-20-2020 10:55 PM #78
      Congratulations, Wes! And congratulations to us, because you've allowed us to share in your acquisition.

Thanks for sharing. You're greatly missed here, you know.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 18 JLU Sport | 13 Altima | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

5. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      2020 GT350, 2019 Ridgeline Sport
      05-21-2020 12:12 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      But I'm still bummed you weren't able to stop by on your way home.
      So am I. I didn't mention it in the OP, but the idea was to pick up the Mustang in Marble Hill and beeline it due west as far and as fast as I could, and meet up with Dempsey.

It's seventeen(!!!) years ago - November of 2003 - that I bought a then-new five-speed Forester 2.5XT from Dempsey, and Matt Train and I drove my '03 Accord LX out there as a trade-in whilst driving the Forester back. Which, geez, seems an eternity ago. It was a pretty popular TCL thread way back in the day. It involved ferrets and rodízio and the movie Hero before it was rebranded as 'Quentin Tarantino Presents' and maybe something about discovering that a Forester XT with its ears pinned back will hold 140 with the cruise on across Nebraska, which is the best way to see western Nebraska.

But that was all predicated on not smashing up a rental car and having to spend half a day arranging a replacement. Stupid deer. "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: It might have been!"

6. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      05-21-2020 12:35 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
      It's the 305/35s that really limit choice.
      What about 315/25s
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

7. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      05-21-2020 01:18 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Congratulations, Wes! And congratulations to us, because you've allowed us to share in your acquisition.

Thanks for sharing. You're greatly missed here, you know.

Chris
      Thank you, and I mean this in the most sincere way that I'm moved to see so many old friends chime in who are genuinely happy that I poked my head in to say hi.

I realize now that I was am insufferable, cocky little ****head when Motive being published. I was in my mid-twenties. I saw the improbable, the implausible, often the impossible, come true. Life was something that you dominated if you were any good. Life yielded easily to intelligence and effort, or to what proportion could be mustered of both*. If you're guessing that this would be the point in time where things fell apart the way Hemingway described poverty befalling someone — "gradually, then suddenly" — you'd be correct.

And I'd like to say that I was the better person for it, but to be completely honest I cracked like an old dinnerplate. And it took the better part of a decade to collect the pieces and glue them back together, and to be okay with realizing that I wasn't stronger than steel — I was more absorbent than Bounty, the quicker-picker-upper. And far from being one who dominated life, I really was only a mediocre caretaker of most of the things left in my hands.

So in that sense, it really does feel special to come back and see the old gang still here; to be waved over to the bar where everyone is and offered a seat as if I'd merely just ran an errand and had returned after a short spell.

Anyway — and to my original point — thanks.

*Apologies to Fitzgerald, who said this better than I paraphrased him.
      Last edited by Parklife; 05-21-2020 at 01:22 AM.

8. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-21-2020 01:44 AM #82
      Thank you, and I mean this in the most sincere way that I'm moved to see so many old friends chime in who are genuinely happy that I poked my head in to say hi.

I realize now that I was am insufferable, cocky little ****head when Motive being published. I was in my mid-twenties. I saw the improbable, the implausible, often the impossible, come true. Life was something that you dominated if you were any good. Life yielded easily to intelligence and effort, or to what proportion could be mustered of both*. If you're guessing that this would be the point in time where things fell apart the way Hemingway described poverty befalling someone — "gradually, then suddenly" — you'd be correct.

And I'd like to say that I was the better person for it, but to be completely honest I cracked like an old dinnerplate. And it took the better part of a decade to collect the pieces and glue them back together, and to be okay with realizing that I wasn't stronger than steel — I was more absorbent than Bounty, the quicker-picker-upper. And far from being one who dominated life, I really was only a mediocre caretaker of most of the things left in my hands.

So in that sense, it really does feel special to come back and see the old gang still here; to be waved over to the bar where everyone is and offered a seat as if I'd merely just ran an errand and had returned after a short spell.

Poetic
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-21-2020 03:29 AM #83
      Congrats Wes, the jealousy is strong.

Vehicles
      2018 M3 Competition, 2004 Honda S2000
      05-21-2020 07:05 AM #84
      Congrats on a beautiful car! Enjoy it along with your newfound freedom. By the way, are dealers still charging over MSRP?

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      05-21-2020 08:29 AM #85

That's great, well said, warm and fuzzies and cheers and beers all around, clap clap.

NOW TELL US THE HOLY GRAIL SECRET OF HOW YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO PULL OFF GETTING DIVORCED THEN TURNING RIGHT AROUND TO BUY A GT350 AND A TRUCK!

(But, really, the above summed up a feeling and experience that's difficult to identify and manage, and I identify with it hard. Way to recognize it and get past it )

Vehicles
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      05-21-2020 08:39 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      That's great, well said, warm and fuzzies and cheers and beers all around, clap clap.

NOW TELL US THE HOLY GRAIL SECRET OF HOW YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO PULL OFF GETTING DIVORCED THEN TURNING RIGHT AROUND TO BUY A GT350 AND A TRUCK!

(But, really, the above summed up a feeling and experience that's difficult to identify and manage, and I identify with it hard. Way to recognize it and get past it )
      If he's anything like my roommate who immediately bought a GT3, it involves selling a house and finding a cheap place to rent.

13. 05-21-2020 11:18 AM #87
      No doubt.

Seriously, though: after my divorce finalized in December 2017, I went into a financial hibernation of sorts. I cut back just about every unnecessary expense, paid off all non-mortgage debt, and then began spending all my excess money buying stocks in an IRA.

Wes: it's always great to read your threads. Glad you're still here.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-21-2020 11:26 AM #88

Because sometimes, arduous life experiences are crucible moments, and the something new that emerges is in the form and shape of a GT350.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      05-21-2020 12:26 PM #89
      Congrats, OP! What a gorgeous green.

Vehicles
      2019 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Compass ... driven at/or beyond their limits
      05-21-2020 12:32 PM #90
      Great write-up and glad to see you back... and I'm really happy to see someone digging that Grabber Lime as much as I do. It's been my belief for a long time that an obnoxious, "f**k you", middle finger of a car like the GT350/GT500 needs an obnoxious, "f**k you", middle finger of a color.
      Last edited by MotownSVT; 05-21-2020 at 12:34 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      05-21-2020 02:35 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      Great write-up and glad to see you back... and I'm really happy to see someone digging that Grabber Lime as much as I do. It's been my belief for a long time that an obnoxious, "f**k you", middle finger of a car like the GT350/GT500 needs an obnoxious, "f**k you", middle finger of a color.
      Did your group get to work on those supplemental collector materials that were sent out for the owners?

Vehicles
      05-21-2020 04:02 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Did your group get to work on those supplemental collector materials that were sent out for the owners?
      It's a separate company/group that does those... I worked there from '99-'07 and I still work with them closely every single day. Why do you ask?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      05-21-2020 05:27 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      It's a separate company/group that does those... I worked there from '99-'07 and I still work with them closely every single day. Why do you ask?
      I just thought it was a fantastic way to individually commemorate such a unique car despite being a huge global organization...it's amazing to me that the car was ever approved for production, let alone this supplemental material for it. Ford stands out uniquely to me in their willingness still to this day to actually bring to market those once in a generation experiences for enthusiasts. Hope that DNA never leaves Ford and even into a EV transition they can come up with stuff like the Fiesta ST that's approachable for car nuts without deep pockets.

20. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      05-21-2020 06:14 PM #94
      I don't want to say that sometimes the universe has it in for certain people, but... uh... the universe has it in for certain people.

Exhibit A, the DMV just handed me these plates:

BITS O' 420? From the EVER GREEN STATE? It would've been bad enough if everyone just thought I was into K-pop and was rollin' in my 5.2 with BTS cranked up, but seriously — a car that gets flagged for noise violations at Laguna Seca with its stock exhaust has a number plate that is just begging to be used as probable cause?

Friggin' hell. I guess it's time to report these "stolen".

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-21-2020 08:41 PM #95
      It's a fluorescent green Mustang soooo.....

22. 05-21-2020 08:53 PM #96
      Congrats!

That's one heck of a ride.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      05-21-2020 09:11 PM #97
      Such a great write up, very cool car, even cooler the story behind your car and your engine, and like other said, kudos to you for getting divorce and then getting two cars out of this. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
      While I appreciate the sentiment, it's important to remember that heroism and stupidity are often confused, but not synonymous.

Vehicles
      05-21-2020 10:27 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      I just thought it was a fantastic way to individually commemorate such a unique car despite being a huge global organization...it's amazing to me that the car was ever approved for production, let alone this supplemental material for it. Ford stands out uniquely to me in their willingness still to this day to actually bring to market those once in a generation experiences for enthusiasts. Hope that DNA never leaves Ford and even into a EV transition they can come up with stuff like the Fiesta ST that's approachable for car nuts without deep pockets.
      I thought you were angling for one of those flat-plane crank paperweights, bro...

It's fun working on this kind of stuff, and doing stuff like an Owner's Kit is, to me, a no-brainer. Monetarily it's a rounding error but with an enthusiast customer it's the right thing to do. The enthusiast is the biggest advocate/mouthpiece a company has. The average guy that buys a GT350 needs a daily driver... his wife needs an SUV... and I know within his circle of family/friends he's the "car guy" that everyone goes to for car recommendations... and I want him to buy an F150 to daily and an Edge for the wife and recommend whatever Ford vehicle to anyone that asks his opinion. So whatever I can do via event marketing or Owner's Kits or a day in Charlotte at the racing school is a drop in the bucket compared to a :30 TV spot. It's common-sense thinking to most people around here but you'd be shocked how many people don't understand that, yeah, you have to grow your market share and get conquest sales but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and just as effective to preach to your choir.

25. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      05-21-2020 10:34 PM #99
      I don't want to say that sometimes the universe has it in for certain people, but... uh... the universe has it in for certain people.

Exhibit A, the DMV just handed me these plates:

BITS O' 420? From the EVER GREEN STATE? It would've been bad enough if everyone just thought I was into K-pop and was rollin' in my 5.2 with BTS cranked up, but seriously — a car that gets flagged for noise violations at Laguna Seca with its stock exhaust has a number plate that is just begging to be used as probable cause?

Friggin' hell. I guess it's time to report these "stolen".
      Just get Montana plates.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

26. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-21-2020 10:54 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Just get Montana plates.
      *chuckles*
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast