Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: W T B / I S O : G-Grind Camshaft for Solid lifter head

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit GTI
      05-20-2020 05:09 PM #1
      Hello fellow Mk1 people hope you’re hanging in there during quarantine, looking for a G-grind camshaft or similar for my 8v head. If you have one laying around that you’d like to sell me please send pictures and price in a PM need it shipped to California 90260. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-21-2020 02:37 PM #2
      Sorry I can't help to offer you one, wish I could. A while back I searched for the same thing, also for a solid lifter head. I recalled a few years ago you could even buy new ones at reasonable prices from Europe. The only obstacle at that time was the shipping cost. But in my recent search there was noting to be found anywhere. You can still get new ones for hydraulic heads, but apparently not for solids. I suppose had I know, I would have paid the shipping expense to get one when I could. I did come across a couple of used ones for sale, but honestly they looked to be in very questionable condition. And the asking prices were rather high - especially for a unknown used part that is a critical component prone to wear or damage.

The only option that I've found is the aftermarket one offered by Techtonics Tuning:
      http://techtonicstuning.com/main/ind...products_id=21
      It states it is made from a new billet and is a "copy" of the Euro GTI cam. I do not know how close of a copy it really is; in my experience "replica" cams tend to take a lot of liberties in their actual design. And I don't have any experience with them in terms of quality or longevity. But TT has a good reputation and the price for this one isn't bad. So it might be worth a look. Maybe someone out there has more specific info on it? The exact specs as actually measured for example? Even if the general numbers sound the same (e.g. the lift height or duration), that does not necessarily mean the profile is identical or other such data.

4. 05-22-2020 12:12 AM #3
      Not mine. Just seen it recently.

Justin

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...128193146.html

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-22-2020 10:09 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by roccobro View Post
      Not mine. Just seen it recently.

Justin

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...128193146.html
      Unfortunately the one listed for sale (linked ad above) states it is for a hydraulic lifter head, not solid lifter. But the price is good assuming the condition proves to be good as well. However that is the difficulty with buying a used cam. Photos do not accurately show the true condition. And even if looking at it in person, the general appearance is not the same as actual measurement. Especially considering these heads do not have replaceable cam bearings, causing the journals on both the head and cam to take on a matching wear pattern. So putting a used cam into a different used head is always a risk.

Apparently there were a lot more Euro GTI engines with hydraulic heads? Or was the "G" cam used in later non-GTI engines? Or is there more of those cams available because no one wants them?

7. 05-23-2020 12:31 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DbilasTDI View Post
      As I posted a couple days ago, I have questions about the TT G-grind "copy":

"The only option that I've found is the aftermarket one offered by Techtonics Tuning:
      http://techtonicstuning.com/main/ind...products_id=21
      It states it is made from a new billet and is a "copy" of the Euro GTI cam. I do not know how close of a copy it really is; in my experience "replica" cams tend to take a lot of liberties in their actual design. And I don't have any experience with them in terms of quality or longevity. But TT has a good reputation and the price for this one isn't bad. So it might be worth a look. Maybe someone out there has more specific info on it? The exact specs as actually measured for example? Even if the general numbers sound the same (e.g. the lift height or duration), that does not necessarily mean the profile is identical or other such data."

8. 05-23-2020 07:01 PM #7
      Still need camshaft?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. 05-26-2020 05:01 PM #8
      did you want an exact copy on an OEM blank or did you want to bloviate?

10. 05-27-2020 02:29 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DbilasTDI View Post
      did you want an exact copy on an OEM blank or did you want to bloviate?
      "exact copy on an OEM blank" - We don't know that either of those comments are true. I guarantee you the second part is not. And if we knew for certain that the first part was true then there would be little reason for the perfectly legitimate questions, but we really don't know even that much. Experience has shown that a "copy" may mean anything; companies use their marketing descriptors very loosely. So until we can find true evidence to prove one way or the other then we can only bloviate. Afterall that's what forums are for.

11. 05-28-2020 01:29 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Jeff View Post
      "exact copy on an OEM blank" - We don't know that either of those comments are true. I guarantee you the second part is not. And if we knew for certain that the first part was true then there would be little reason for the perfectly legitimate questions, but we really don't know even that much. Experience has shown that a "copy" may mean anything; companies use their marketing descriptors very loosely. So until we can find true evidence to prove one way or the other then we can only bloviate. Afterall that's what forums are for.
      Back in the early '90s it was common knowledge Techtonics just used factory VW parts with eloquent descriptions to sell at triple the going rate. When they DID make their own stuff, it was at the same places that made the rally/race parts labeled "VW motorsports" in Europe. i.e. TT is good ****.

I think OP is "'splitting Hares" for lack of a funnier term.

Justin

12. 05-31-2020 05:36 AM #11
      I got original g grind cam and bigger one as well for more hp from tt pm me for more info if interested

Vehicles
      2012 TDI Sportwagen, 93 Corrado SLC original owner, 83 GTI SCCA H Production
      06-03-2020 11:15 PM #12
      Pretty sure I have a new in VW box G-grind cam. Brazilian made VW original from 1990s. Let me know if you are interested. -Tom