VWVortex.com - Header bolt question, which I'm pretty sure is important for to screw up.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Header bolt question, which I'm pretty sure is important for to screw up.

Vehicles
      98 VR6 GTI
      05-20-2020 08:11 PM #1
      Quick question for anyone that's built before, and used aftermarket header studs:

I didn't wanna spring on $100+ header studs since I've spent a ton on the interior and exhaust this year, so I ordered stainless studs for a something diesel which are the same dimensions.

While tightening the first one, it didn't stop at the paint (I marked them next to the oem studs), and I'm worried about puncturing the cylinder wall. If I keep tightening to the 30ft-lb spec from the Bentley manual, am I safe? I've spent this much time on the rebuild and the last thing I need is to puncture it as this is pretty much the end of the rebuild and about to hit the welder in a day or two.

All input would be greatly appreciated, and I'll owe you beers at H2Oi if it happens this year.

... and if you don't know, now you know.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      98 VR6 GTI
      05-21-2020 09:05 PM #2
      Gotta bump. Any info would be really helpful, guy.
      ... and if you don't know, now you know.