VWVortex.com - Accidentally grinded 5th. Long term damage?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Accidentally grinded 5th. Long term damage?

1. 05-21-2020 08:22 AM #1
      I noticed that on this transmission going in to gears is really vague and lack of feel in this car. Especially in 4th, 5th and 6th. Its a new car and I'm still getting used to it.

This morning going in to what I thought was 5th, I guess it wasn't completely in because the transmission oil was still cold and it grinded for a second. Been driving manual for over 20 years and really never had it happen before. Its a new car so I'm kinda worried if I did any long lasting damage. It seems to go in 5th fine rest of the way.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

05-21-2020 08:52 AM #2
      Part out
      2016 GTI S, 6-spd manual, 4-door, NBM / Injen CAI / APR Turbo Muffler Delete / GFB DV+ / VWR Springs / Spulen Flush Kit / v2.1 034M DB Mount Insert / Audi OEM F2B SS / Forge S2S SS / ECS Aluminum Endlink Bushings & Cable Bracket Bushings / Blaupunkt Slim Subwoofer / Euro Tail Lights w/ rear fog / Ed's R replica headlights / Euroswitch / deAutoKey red foot well lights / Clutch stop / 1/4" dripping tube windows mod / Murdered Soundaktor

4. 05-21-2020 09:10 AM #3
      I'll call BS to anyone that has driven a MT for 20 years and never grinded a gear even once. LOL.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-21-2020 09:13 AM #4
      probably did. Honestly its been so long I dont' remember the last time. I dont power shift my cars so yeh. Missing gears or going in to wrong gears is not an issue for me.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE (traded '14 GLI)
      05-21-2020 09:16 AM #5
      Most likely you are fine. It happens to everyone and every car and we all keep going.

Mike
      Silver 2015 GTI SE 4dr 6spd

8. 05-21-2020 11:48 AM #6
      Been driving a stick for nearly 35 years here (almost continually too except for about a 2-year period) and I grind this car (2017 Golf 5MT) more than I care to admit. 5th occasionally blocks a shift and it also has a bit to do with the long pedal travel and low take-up point where you really have to have the clutch mashed to the floor. A few times my left foot was a bit lazy/sloppy and I didn't have the pedal all the way down before trying to put it into gear, hence grinding. I really wish these had shorter necessary pedal travel.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI S
      05-21-2020 12:56 PM #7
      Grinding gears is gut wrenching but doesnt cause any damage. There is a video from Team O Neil Rally School out east that goes over transmissions. They were saying the gears are immensely durable. It would take a few hours of constantly grinding the gear continuously for it to strip.

10. 05-21-2020 02:09 PM #8
      I do notice the clutch take up is very long and right on the top. Its really hard for me to take off smoothly because i have no sense of engagement. Figure I'll get used to it. I'm coming from driving manual hondas and miatas all my life so it taking me while to get used to it. My last car with a mk6 gli with a dsg.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE (traded '14 GLI)
      05-21-2020 06:18 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Understeer View Post
      I do notice the clutch take up is very long and right on the top. Its really hard for me to take off smoothly because i have no sense of engagement. Figure I'll get used to it. I'm coming from driving manual hondas and miatas all my life so it taking me while to get used to it. My last car with a mk6 gli with a dsg.
      There are a couple of simple things you can do to improve the clutch feel:

- Remove the Soundaktor. This artificial sound makes it difficult to know what the engine is actually doing.

- Remove the clutch assist spring. The clutch will be slightly heavier (I didn't notice it) but more natural.

On my car the Soundaktor is on the cowl at the rear of the hood. Just unplug it.

The clutch assist spring is attached to the clutch pedal under the dash. Just pop it off.

Now it will feel like a normal clutch with predicable action.

Mike
      Silver 2015 GTI SE 4dr 6spd

12. 05-22-2020 08:59 AM #10
      Another clutch actuation mod is to remove the fluid dampener in the bleeder block,

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/1...l-manual-cars/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index...emoval.326890/

And you can also jin up a simple pedal stop.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Golf-5-and-6MT

The clutch on the Mk7 is tricky, tough to feather properly, and stinks like garbage if you slip it. I'm old and have driven sticks and more sticks. This is one of the more uncooperative sticks.

13. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      05-22-2020 10:20 AM #11
      we've all done it...it's not good but don't loose sleep over it.

I find mine easy to shift but vague...I assume cause cables. Last ride was a MT Stang...that was a PITA shifter and required concentration to shift. w/o insulting grinding higher gears make sure you are depressing clutch fully and not releasing too quickly

Mud.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.