Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RaceChip Review Thread

1. 05-21-2020 08:36 AM #1
      Good Morning Campers,

So this will be my long look at the RaceChip GTS Black. For those of you that know, this is a plug and play "boost box" if you will, that gives up to 79HP and 69 ft/lbs of torque. Now, of course, there are caveats to all this stuff (type of fuel, age of the car, tuning, differences in manufacturers underwear type when building the car that day).

The installation was very neat and simple. I received the box last week and it came with 4 zip ties, 4 braces for the ECU box, and a set of bypass cables that actually fit the locations where it plugs in. Attached to the wiring harness was the defeat by pass when the ecu box is removed (you know, when you take it to the dealer and they wanna TD1 your butt).

Install took about 30 minutes but only because the initial lay of the cable harness was going to get it sucked into the radiator fan. I managed to move the cables around a bit, until I felt a little safer with the install. I had enough cable to make it look "neat" but will go back in a little later and make some further adjustments (because, I don't want it to look like crap).

Followed the directions (leave it for 10 minutes, door locks on, FOB in the house). Turned on the car and sure enough, the little box came to life, with map 5 set

The maps are as follows
      0: ECU off
      1. ECU on but with factory conditions (I think?)
      2. Eco Mode
      3. Eco +
      4. Sport mode
      5. Sport mode +
      6. Race mode
      7. Race Mode +

Now starting the system initially puts you in Sport +. This is required to run 91 octane at least. I have 93 in it right now (thanks WaWa!) so I can run up to the map 7.

I took it for a quick test drive after the installation. The pull through the gears was very intoxicating. I have a small back road (I got a lot of looks) which is perfect and has a small bend and U-turn at the in. 4th Gear and 100+mph was reached very quickly and I was starting to run out of road...and gears...Further high speed testing will be done later. Normal boost in the GLI MkVII should be around 18 at max boost...I was getting 26 PSI (and that was at a quick glance).

So the initial response is positive so far. I know that I have seen some significant hate against RaceChip and I'm not going to lie, some of the stuff people are mad at is their own fault. Not putting the correct gas, ordering the wrong chip; whatever, do your home work.

Is it worth $600? I don't know yet. I'm definitely going to run an eco test and see how much I can squeeze out of the 2.0L T. 395 miles of travel? Really?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your comments, I'll try to get some pics up later. More news to follow.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 (gone)...Black '15 GTI...(gone) Tornado Red '19 GLI :D
      05-21-2020 11:16 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by gefahrlich View Post
      Good Morning Campers,

So this will be my long look at the RaceChip GTS Black. For those of you that know, this is a plug and play "boost box" if you will, that gives up to 79HP and 69 ft/lbs of torque. Now, of course, there are caveats to all this stuff (type of fuel, age of the car, tuning, differences in manufacturers underwear type when building the car that day).

The installation was very neat and simple. I received the box last week and it came with 4 zip ties, 4 braces for the ECU box, and a set of bypass cables that actually fit the locations where it plugs in. Attached to the wiring harness was the defeat by pass when the ecu box is removed (you know, when you take it to the dealer and they wanna TD1 your butt).

Install took about 30 minutes but only because the initial lay of the cable harness was going to get it sucked into the radiator fan. I managed to move the cables around a bit, until I felt a little safer with the install. I had enough cable to make it look "neat" but will go back in a little later and make some further adjustments (because, I don't want it to look like crap).

Followed the directions (leave it for 10 minutes, door locks on, FOB in the house). Turned on the car and sure enough, the little box came to life, with map 5 set

The maps are as follows
      2. Eco Mode
      3. Eco +
      4. Sport mode
      5. Sport mode +
      6. Race mode
      7. Race Mode +

Now starting the system initially puts you in Sport +. This is required to run 91 octane at least. I have 93 in it right now (thanks WaWa!) so I can run up to the map 7.

I took it for a quick test drive after the installation. The pull through the gears was very intoxicating. I have a small back road (I got a lot of looks) which is perfect and has a small bend and U-turn at the in. 4th Gear and 100+mph was reached very quickly and I was starting to run out of road...and gears...Further high speed testing will be done later. Normal boost in the GLI MkVII should be around 18 at max boost...I was getting 26 PSI (and that was at a quick glance).

So the initial response is positive so far. I know that I have seen some significant hate against RaceChip and I'm not going to lie, some of the stuff people are mad at is their own fault. Not putting the correct gas, ordering the wrong chip; whatever, do your home work.

Is it worth $600? I don't know yet. I'm definitely going to run an eco test and see how much I can squeeze out of the 2.0L T. 395 miles of travel? Really?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your comments, I'll try to get some pics up later. More news to follow.
      Thanks for your review, as there does seem to be reviews that vary in range. Keep us posted on a long term review and what's it like in the additional settings.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      05-21-2020 10:14 PM #3
      Location? Wouldn't mind "comparing it" to a JB4 car....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jett GLI S
      05-22-2020 06:53 AM #4
      Good Morning Campers,

The maps are as follows
      2. Eco Mode
      3. Eco +
      4. Sport mode
      5. Sport mode +
      6. Race mode
      7. Race Mode +

Very nice write-up!

Having no previous experience with tuning, the ease of installation is what impressed me most when I was comparing piggy-back systems. Your description of the installation sounds very much like what is shown on the videos that I watched.

$600 is a comparable price to the JB4 if you also get the wireless phone kit.

Are you using it with or planning any additional modifications to air-flow such as an upgraded intake, turbo inlet pipe, or downpipe?

7. 05-22-2020 07:45 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 35thGLINoob View Post
      Mine connects to the boost pressure sensor located on the bottom of the engine (near the oil pan).

The line runs up the front of the engine, and then connects to the Manifold pressure sensor on top of the manifold (front of the engine block). the last cable runs along (I did underneath) the intake filter and tubing to sit nice and snug between the ECU and the battery. I formed up all the cables to the Racechip box. It has very easy access once everything installed.

Like I said, I tried my best to make it "pretty".

Anybody know any good hosting sites for photos? I'd like to attach some so folks get a better view.

Also, I have a photo of the boost gauge that shows me dropping 31psi, which is just sexy as hell.

8. 05-22-2020 07:49 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI_FTW! View Post
      Very nice write-up!

Having no previous experience with tuning, the ease of installation is what impressed me most when I was comparing piggy-back systems. Your description of the installation sounds very much like what is shown on the videos that I watched.

$600 is a comparable price to the JB4 if you also get the wireless phone kit.

Are you using it with or planning any additional modifications to air-flow such as an upgraded intake, turbo inlet pipe, or downpipe?
      My goals for the next few paychecks include:

which pretty much knocks out the whole shebang.

Then I would like to start working on the suspension.

I'm happy with my flushmount kit so I'm not going to go with lowering springs at this time.

But struts front an rear to stiffen the chassis and whatever else falls on the market in the near future.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      05-22-2020 08:43 AM #7
      Mine connects to the boost pressure sensor located on the bottom of the engine (near the oil pan).

The line runs up the front of the engine, and then connects to the Manifold pressure sensor on top of the manifold (front of the engine block). the last cable runs along (I did underneath) the intake filter and tubing to sit nice and snug between the ECU and the battery. I formed up all the cables to the Racechip box. It has very easy access once everything installed.

Like I said, I tried my best to make it "pretty".

Anybody know any good hosting sites for photos? I'd like to attach some so folks get a better view.

Also, I have a photo of the boost gauge that shows me dropping 31psi, which is just sexy as hell.
      Haha I meant like....where in the United States so we could do some pulls lol

10. 05-22-2020 08:54 AM #8
      It would be a drive for me from Virginia...

11. 05-22-2020 08:57 AM #9
      I will be doing some stock pulls with my friend at the dealership and then he wants to do the Stage 1 APR tune. I'll get you some data from that too. Well, it might be a little lopsided, as he can't shift to save his life.

We have dyno day planned in the future. He wants to run some stock runs (for his blog) and then throw mine on there.

Vehicles
      2019 GLI 35 Stage 2
      05-22-2020 09:26 AM #10
      If he goes 93 high tq awd file from APR I will put my money on your friend. If he does low tq id wager you will pull on him in first and second. Warn him if he does high tq he will run through tires fast if he utilizes the go pedal liberally.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jett GLI S
      05-22-2020 09:51 AM #11

I use imgur.com. A lot of folks on here use flickr.com.

Vehicles
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      05-22-2020 11:50 AM #12
      Good Morning Campers,
      Uncle Ernie?

Quote Originally Posted by GLI_FTW! View Post
      I use imgur.com. A lot of folks on here use flickr.com.
      imgur_FTW!
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 35th GLI M6
      05-22-2020 05:52 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Laccos View Post
      If he goes 93 high tq awd file from APR I will put my money on your friend. If he does low tq id wager you will pull on him in first and second. Warn him if he does high tq he will run through tires fast if he utilizes the go pedal liberally.
      High torque file will probably blow thru his clutch haha

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta GLI S, 1973 Beetle
      05-22-2020 06:34 PM #14
      High torque file will probably blow thru his clutch haha
      Just an excuse to upgrade it!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17. 05-26-2020 12:09 PM #15
      Alright, update #1

So still using map 5, I haven't met up with my dealer buddy to show him what's going on with the RaceChip.

Things I have noticed so far:

1. With the Racechip installed, I have noticed shifting is a little smoother. Second gear in sport (hell, in Normal) has always been a wife head jogger. No matter how easy I tried to ease in to second gear, there was always that grab that would jerk her and then I would never hear the end of it. So right now, even in map 5, the shifting has been smoother all around (especially in second).

2. Eco driving has been really nice. Even when I gun it, the MPG has been pretty nice. I'm averaging about 26/27 in the city and around 33 or 34 on the highway (between trips). That seems a lot better than the standard 25/32. Granted, this is only a 5% increase but hey, I'll take it.

3. Pulling from low RPM's has been great. I had to negotiate some boneheads on the highway and at 1500 RPM in 6th gear, I managed to pull away and pass these "individuals" fairly easy.

4. Last note, the PSI gauge. So I noted that I could easily max out the PSI gauge (at 35) on a speed run. Coupled with atmospheric pressure (14.7) that amounts to almost 20 PSI of boost at max RPM (granted it does peter off a bit). Stock max boost that I got (on the gauge) was around 18/19 which translates to around 3 or 4. So huge gains in boost folks.

Until next time,

Lebe Gefährlich!

Vehicles
      '19 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      05-26-2020 12:20 PM #16
      Alright, update #1

So still using map 5, I haven't met up with my dealer buddy to show him what's going on with the RaceChip.

Things I have noticed so far:

1. With the Racechip installed, I have noticed shifting is a little smoother. Second gear in sport (hell, in Normal) has always been a wife head jogger. No matter how easy I tried to ease in to second gear, there was always that grab that would jerk her and then I would never hear the end of it. So right now, even in map 5, the shifting has been smoother all around (especially in second).

2. Eco driving has been really nice. Even when I gun it, the MPG has been pretty nice. I'm averaging about 26/27 in the city and around 33 or 34 on the highway (between trips). That seems a lot better than the standard 25/32. Granted, this is only a 5% increase but hey, I'll take it.

3. Pulling from low RPM's has been great. I had to negotiate some boneheads on the highway and at 1500 RPM in 6th gear, I managed to pull away and pass these "individuals" fairly easy.

4. Last note, the PSI gauge. So I noted that I could easily max out the PSI gauge (at 35) on a speed run. Coupled with atmospheric pressure (14.7) that amounts to almost 20 PSI of boost at max RPM (granted it does peter off a bit). Stock max boost that I got (on the gauge) was around 18/19 which translates to around 3 or 4. So huge gains in boost folks.

Until next time,

Lebe Gefährlich!
      Thank you for your detailed reviews. My suspension/wheels/tires is pretty much done (APR coils, spacers, 18x8 wheels, Indy500 tires) so now I'm looking at power gains and I'm in a pickle because I do not want to replace the clutch prematurely. The car in stock sport mode is already plenty fast, I'd love more, but idk if the juice is worth the squeeze. Same with engine bolt ons. There's no point in me going down that road if I'm not adding power. The piggy back solutions seem like a good in-between, but you never know. I'll keep an eye on your progress.
      Sip slow, slow drank
      ---
      Tottenham, Juventus, Benfica, DC United

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2020 08:58 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by SipSlow View Post
      Thank you for your detailed reviews. My suspension/wheels/tires is pretty much done (APR coils, spacers, 18x8 wheels, Indy500 tires) so now I'm looking at power gains and I'm in a pickle because I do not want to replace the clutch prematurely. The car in stock sport mode is already plenty fast, I'd love more, but idk if the juice is worth the squeeze. Same with engine bolt ons. There's no point in me going down that road if I'm not adding power. The piggy back solutions seem like a good in-between, but you never know. I'll keep an eye on your progress.
      The clutch won't go instantly on a tune. Mine lasted 10,000 miles tuned, and was still good. I replaced mine mostly because I hated the stock clutch, and knew it'd go eventually with where I wanted to go with the car. Just go with a low torque tune. My stock clutch still looks pristine. The flywheel does too. Start saving up. When it starts slipping, you'll be ready.

20. Today 07:20 AM #18
      Update #2

So met up with my dealership enthusiast who wanted to see the car in action. Drove him around in Map 5 (Sport +) to show him the pull and acceleration.

He asked if that was it and i told him nope, we still have 2 maps to go. He said, max it out. Now.

1. Placed the unit in map 7, Race +. Running on 93 octane. Started the car, no CEL, which was good. Made a hard pull from a light rolling start in 1st, made it all the way to 4th gear before we ran out of road. 4th gear, 4500 pm, 115 MPH, 32PSI (according to the gauge) and still pulling. What are the other 2 gears for???
      2. Noticed oil temp started to climb. From the earlier speed run, we were at about 215 degrees (according to the dash gauge). After 2 speed runs in map 7, oil temp was at about 230ish. It was about 75 yesterday, humidity was high just after a light rain. No real feel of heat soak, but it was only 2 runs. No discernible wheel hop, as the LSD just took control and kept the tires on the tarmac.

Might have to do some engine maintenance to keep oil temps down. The oil pan swap with the aluminum unit might help as the plastic one does not dissipate heat quick enough.
      Pull was solid all the way through the gears with continuous accelerate through the entire process. Hit the rev limiter twice, but that didn't seem to be the problem (just a note that RaceChip does not remove rev limiter, as I previously thought).

Next update will hopefully be with new intake upgrade or if we get a chance, some dyno time to get real numbers.

See you guys soon,

Lebe Gefährlich!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Today 08:03 AM #19
      230F oil temp is normal. Wouldn't worry about that. Mine was at 225 yesterday (about 75F out) without even driving hard.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Jetta SE -- Nothing better than a VW!
      Today 09:01 AM #20
      I just wanted to say thank you for updates like this! I have a 2020 SE with hopes that one day there will be something like this available for my model. So, until then, I'll live vicariously through you.
      2020 Jetta SE -- Current Mods: 20% Window Tint | VW Window Visors | Drop-In K&N Filter | Badgeskins Headlight Amber Delete & Rear Reflector Tint | GLI Trunk Lip — Future Mods: Wheel & Tire Upgrade | RaceChip RS + App on order

23. Today 09:15 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by sag7392 View Post
      I just wanted to say thank you for updates like this! I have a 2020 SE with hopes that one day there will be something like this available for my model. So, until then, I'll live vicariously through you.
      If you have the 1.4l they do have something for you...

https://www.racechip.us/shop/vw/jett...-184lb-ft.html

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Jetta SE -- Nothing better than a VW!
      Today 10:12 AM #22
      If you have the 1.4l they do have something for you...

https://www.racechip.us/shop/vw/jett...-184lb-ft.html
      Well, I'll be damned! Thank you, @gefahrlich! Knowing this and after looking at the site, I'm thinking about going with the RS (with the app add-on) version. Before I pull the trigger, what are your thoughts?
      2020 Jetta SE -- Current Mods: 20% Window Tint | VW Window Visors | Drop-In K&N Filter | Badgeskins Headlight Amber Delete & Rear Reflector Tint | GLI Trunk Lip — Future Mods: Wheel & Tire Upgrade | RaceChip RS + App on order

Vehicles
      2019 MK7 Jetta Gli 35th, mk4 jetta 12v vr6
      Today 10:35 AM #23
      It would be a drive for me from Virginia...
      Where at in Virginia? I’ve since removed my JB4 but I’m outside of Richmond

Vehicles
      GTI
      Today 10:44 AM #24

1. Placed the unit in map 7, Race +. Running on 93 octane. Started the car, no CEL, which was good. Made a hard pull from a light rolling start in 1st, made it all the way to 4th gear before we ran out of road. 4th gear, 4500 pm, 115 MPH!
      Come on man 115mph on the road.
      I'll point you the rules of the forum. Especially this part.
      • Do not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity on the forums. Linking to locations that deal with any such activity is also forbidden.
      Wait for tracks to open before you kill someone. I'm sure Virginia Beach will be happier if you don't kill someone.

Vehicles
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      Today 11:44 AM #25
      32PSI (according to the gauge)
      So you upgraded you manifold air pressure sensor?
      OEM on the R tops out at 28 psi.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast