VWVortex.com - Installing a Pioneer TS-WX120A underseat sub/amp to a MIB2 headunit
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Installing a Pioneer TS-WX120A underseat sub/amp to a MIB2 headunit

Vehicles
      2016 VW Caddy
      05-21-2020 09:46 AM #1
      Hello

I drive a 2016 Caddy and would like to mount a TS-WX120A subwoofer/amp underneath my seat.
      Now the sub/amp only requires 4 inputs, left, right, power and a ignition, but i can't seem to find the latter one.

I thought i needed to splice it into the antenna power wire, but i can't find it anywhere in the loom, and also not in any of the diagrams i found online.
      Are there any other ways to wire this thing up? Or does anyone have a more detailed diagram of a modern quadlock connector?

And another thing i was wondering, i can't find a proper place to get the wires trough to the firewall, but since the amp only delivers 120W at peak, and uses 12volts, i was thinking maybe 10amps is low enough to let it piggyback of the radio's 12V input?
      It sounds a bit risky, but perhaps it's proven method used by others? just wondering.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-21-2020 11:04 AM #2
      I wouldn’t piggy back the amp with radio power! I would look for a firewall grommet driver side lower areas. Not an expert on new caddys, but I’m pretty sure the brake booster is around there. For 12+(ignition) it’s a quick idea to use the 12 outlet if you’re mounting the amp under the seat. I considered that but, but since I installed a Maestro integration module it gave me a 12+ output for amp turn on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      12 Tiglean (wife), 08 r36'ish
      05-21-2020 03:38 PM #3
      NO on the radio piggy back!

There should be some empty fuse spots in the fuse box so you could certainly wire up a 20-25 amp fuse there, and there should be a switched 12v fuse there you can tap off of.

Xavier, great suggestion on the 12 volt outlet! That is a fantastic alternative.

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk
      Last edited by troystg; 05-21-2020 at 03:41 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 VW Caddy
      05-21-2020 04:49 PM #4
      Thanks for the replies all, i'll get out a multimeter and see what the fusebox has to offer!

Also i was wondering, someone also told me on reddit that i could use the speaker signal to switch on my sub, it makes sense but wouldn't there be any downsides?
      I imagine it could interfere with the sound quality, and what happens when the music turns silent for a second, wouldnt the sub/amp turn off?

7. 05-21-2020 04:54 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by troystg View Post
      NO on the radio piggy back!

There should be some empty fuse spots in the fuse box so you could certainly wire up a 20-25 amp fuse there, and there should be a switched 12v fuse there you can tap off of.

Xavier, great suggestion on the 12 volt outlet! That is a fantastic alternative.

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk
      Thanks! It’s an ole school trick that seems to work even with newer cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk