VWVortex.com - VW Removes and Apologizes for an Admittedly Racist Ad on Instagram
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: VW Removes and Apologizes for an Admittedly Racist Ad on Instagram

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-21-2020 04:40 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Also if VW themselves say it's "offensive", why bother to argue the opposite?
      Because no company ever has immediately rolled over in the face of the Charge of the PC brigade to try and avoid an impending ****storm once The Offended smell blood in the water have they??
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      05-21-2020 04:45 PM #27
      The first 5 letters spell out an anagram of NEGER? That is so tasteless. What a colossal oversight by whoever approved this.

4. 05-21-2020 04:45 PM #28

Ironic that it is for the Golf 8.

Don't skinheads use 88 code for HH? (Heil Hitler)

OK sturmführer.

The actual agency responsible for creating the ad hasn't been identified yet as far as I could discover outside of the ambiguous cloud of "power group".

What is striking is that a team of people made this and then a team of VW people approved it for use.

die Ziegelköpfe

The best thing about this story for me personally is learning that the word "sh!tstorm" has apparently been accepted in Germany and is in popular circulation.

Do a search for:

vw rassistische sh!tstorm

and you'll see plenty! LOL

:

Sh!tstorm for VW: 10 seconds of racism

VW has caught a sh!tstorm with a racist advertising clip for the new Golf. Volkswagen announces consequences. How could that happen?

The automaker Volkswagen is a marketing machine. Every year the company with its many brands (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Porsche) pushes new models into the market. The company should actually know very well what is and is not in advertising. But now the company has caught a **** storm.

VW Sh!tstorm: What Happened?
      Volkswagen has published several promotional videos for the Golf 8 on Instagram and Facebook. A ****storm against VW has been raging on social networks since Tuesday because one of the videos is full of racism.

VW video: what is the reason for the sh!tstorm?
      In the clip, a light-skinned hand pushes a dark-skinned man through the picture. In addition, music and sounds can be heard that are reminiscent of a circus show.

Then the lettering "The New Golf" is built up. The first letters are N, E, G, E and R. Finally, the white hand makes a gesture that is interpreted as "white power" in the right scene.

Racism sh!t storm: What reaction did VW show to the criticism?
      First misunderstanding. "We are surprised and shocked that our Instagram story can be misunderstood in this way," Volkswagen posted in a comment. The content shown represented a creative way of dealing with the Insta Stories format. However, it was decided not to play the story any further from now on.

VW Sh!tstorm: And that's all?
      No. On Wednesday the Volkswagen press office took over the case and published another statement: “Without question: the video is wrong and tasteless. We distance ourselves from it and apologize for it. We will clarify how this could happen - and draw the consequences. ”The press office did not give details.

VW video: Who is responsible for the clip?
      A creative agency is usually responsible for the content of an advertising campaign. The campaign for the Golf is said to have originated in the so-called "VW Powerhouse", to which 16 agencies belong - with the Voltage agency in the leading role. In December it reported the industry portal W&V.

Voltage is therefore a subsidiary of the two large communication agencies Omnicom and DBB. In the "VW Powerhouse" Jochen Sengpiehl said that, he is Volkswagen's global marketing director. In an interview with W&V, he once spoke of the “art of running a flea circus” with regard to his role.

Who exactly is responsible for the criticized clip? Volkswagen and the Omnicom and DBB agencies left this question unanswered until late afternoon.

^
      above is googtrans of German article:
      https://orange.handelsblatt.com/artikel/67012

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-21-2020 04:50 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Because no company ever has immediately rolled over in the face of the Charge of the PC brigade to try and avoid an impending ****storm once The Offended smell blood in the water have they??
      I don't think any company that sells products to the general public should double-down on being perceived as offensive.
      That might get them points with the "anti-PC Brigade", but I don't know if it is a good business model.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-21-2020 04:58 PM #30
      I'm all for brushing off those who are offended at everything, but this particular ad is far beyond that. If one is a POC, just the hand flicking a black man is pretty offensive, let alone the name on the wall and the appearance order of the letters. A smart company wouldn't even touch this.

The persons making this ad are either racist, or have their heads so far up their asses that they don't even realize how out of touch they are.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      05-21-2020 05:00 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I'm all for brushing off those who are offended at everything, but this particular ad is far beyond that. If one is a POC, just the hand flicking a black man is pretty offensive, let alone the name on the wall and the appearance order of the letters. A smart company wouldn't even touch this.

The persons making this ad are either racist, or have their heads so far up their asses that they don't even realize how out of touch they are.
      Ding, ding, ding! There's handwringing, pearl clutching, safe spacers and then there's an ad that would make The Proud Boys, well, proud. TRS is starting to sound like one of the latter.

PS> It's hilarious to watch self-identified Right Wing people and groups levy the charge of "political correctness" against other groups when they invented that boogeyman and engage in policing discourse themselves.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 05-21-2020 at 05:09 PM.

8. 05-21-2020 05:03 PM #32
      It was an offensive ad, there's no straw man "charge of the PC brigade " involved here lol. That was weak and inaccurate.

VW is a global company that employs people around the world and also sells it's products around the world. This snit don't fly for the masses, it's a select audience that this crap caters to. VW can I'll afford to lose people outside of that demographic.

The fact that they double downed on it first is indeed telling, si you got that going for you if you wanted then to own it. The cowards did for a bit.

But no, it's not rolling over to call this ad what it is, racist. It's the right thing to do and they should distance themselves from it.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-21-2020 05:21 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post

As a 3x VW owner/POC, the subliminal (or not so subliminal) message of the white hands flicking a black man away from the Golf made me think VW doesn't want me as a customer.

That was even before noticing the name of the cafe or seeing the German slur at the end.

I say this as a person who is not very easily offended, but also as a person who understands product advertising and promotion.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      05-21-2020 05:23 PM #34
      It's just part of the theme for the car. Don't forget the Swastika wheels!

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      05-21-2020 05:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post

How do those even remotely resemble a swastika?

12. 05-21-2020 05:31 PM #36

Let's talk cars for a it, that yellow car in the ad is horrendous, especially so in yellow. They should of had a hand shoving people towards that train wreck

And no, the ad goes way beyond the "swastika wheel" gag. It's an in your face promotion of an idea not popular in some sectors, like say, most of the world.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      05-21-2020 05:32 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      How do those even remotely resemble a swastika?
      Look at just the aluminum color section. Yes, it's 5 instead of 4 spoke but there's definitely a resemblance- I'm not the first to point it out.

14. 05-21-2020 05:37 PM #38
      Look at just the aluminum color section. Yes, it's 5 instead of 4 spoke but there's definitely a resemblance- I'm not the first to point it out.
      You could argue that the design of wheels and a swastika just so happen to have a vague similarity. There's no ambiguity about the car ad though, it clearly and boldly conveyed it's message so it's an apples to llamas comparison.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      05-21-2020 05:46 PM #39
      Sure. I'd say that's a massive stretch.

16. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      05-21-2020 05:53 PM #40
      What a stupid ad even without the racism.
      I thought VW made boring cars but then blew the budget on amazing ads?
      I didn't even consider a Dart after I saw a black man keeping a white man away.
      VW obviously copied this.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-21-2020 at 05:55 PM.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

05-21-2020 05:56 PM #41
      Sometimes they get one right, and you should just step aside instead of white knighting for companies that make racist ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 05-21-2020 06:12 PM #42

The MK7 I don’t see it, the MK8 I see what people are saying.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-21-2020 06:18 PM #43
      *snort* yeah ok.

Could someone who is more woke than I explain to my blinded-by-privilege self what part of it is racist? I sincerely don’t know.

Is it
      -the white hand flicking a black guy?
      -the dubious “offense” of the OK sign (that isn’t even actually present, just a wind up for a flick)?
      -something to do with the German that I can’t read?
      People have already explained it pretty clearly; you just want to make sure everyone knows you don't believe racism exists. Would be more efficient and honorable to just say that instead of pretending to want to have a discussion in good faith.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

20. Junior Member group captain mandrake's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Bullitt/2019 TourX
      05-21-2020 07:04 PM #44
      Well this just sucks. I have used the "OK" hand gesture occasionally for 50+ years. And I used to scuba dive.
      I had no idea I am a racist.

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-21-2020 07:07 PM #45
      As a 3x VW owner/POC, the subliminal (or not so subliminal) message of the white hands flicking a black man away from the Golf made me think VW doesn't want me as a customer.

That was even before noticing the name of the cafe or seeing the German slur at the end.

I say this as a person who is not very easily offended, but also as a person who understands product advertising and promotion.
      I’d forgive the supposed hand gesture, but the rest? Mmmmmm... No. That it could get much past the napkin stage is pretty sad. Of course at that stage the lettering and who they chose for actors might not have come up yet, but if not somebody in the team Moved it in the direction it went, and that’s Crazy, unforgivable and objectively stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      What a stupid ad even without the racism.
      I thought VW made boring cars but then blew the budget on amazing ads?
      I didn't even consider a Dart after I saw a black man keeping a white man away.
      VW obviously copied this.
      “Doug Judy” makes me laugh whenever I see him. That guy is freakin’ funny, even in Dodge Dart ads, never mind on Brooklyn 99.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI
      05-21-2020 07:07 PM #46
      *snort* yeah ok.

Could someone who is more woke than I explain to my blinded-by-privilege self what part of it is racist? I sincerely don’t know.

Is it
      -the white hand flicking a black guy?
      -the dubious “offense” of the OK sign (that isn’t even actually present, just a wind up for a flick)?
      -something to do with the German that I can’t read?
      Didn't you recently have your groceries taken away at Costco for not wearing a mask?

23. 05-21-2020 07:25 PM #47
      If I were to say that I'm a racist, should someone try to convince me otherwise?
      All Jeeps Matter.

24. 05-21-2020 07:39 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by group captain mandrake View Post
      Well this just sucks. I have used the "OK" hand gesture occasionally for 50+ years. And I used to scuba dive.
      I had no idea I am a racist.
      You're not a racist for using the "OK" hand sign, oh so innocently for fifty odd years. That sign used at racist rallies, on such web sites and in that VW are a call sign for people who are though. There's the difference, the context.

So you're OK to sign OK Do it in a video that pushes a black man away from your product and put the "N" on screen, then yeah, you're a racist.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      05-21-2020 08:01 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      You're not a racist for using the "OK" hand sign, oh so innocently for fifty odd years. That sign used at racist rallies, on such web sites and in that VW are a call sign for people who are though. There's the difference, the context.

So you're OK to sign OK Do it in a video that pushes a black man away from your product and put the "N" on screen, then yeah, you're a racist.
      Not to mention that the sign was intentionally co-opted for this very reason: to extend plausible deniability and snicker at people in public without actually having to have the spine to stand by your beliefs.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-21-2020 08:18 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob View Post
      All Jeeps Matter.
      My screen name is literally the color and model year of the Wrangler that I owned, when I joined this site.
      I also had a 2004 dark silver Isuzu Rodeo, at the time, but "Darksilverisuzu2004" wasn't as catchy.

Nice try though!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast