VWVortex.com - Is employee pricing generally as good as you can get?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Is employee pricing generally as good as you can get?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi S4 (His) 2018 Lexus RX350L (Hers)
      05-21-2020 07:23 PM #1
      When we bought my wife's Lexus through Costco, from a dealer about 100 miles away from our otherwise expensive area the deal was incredible. They had higher factory incentives, did the 0% financing as an AND versus an OR so it could be paired with the cash incentives, and the negotiated price of the vehicle itself was low. I even asked the sales guy directly if we were to buy in the future could I call him directly, and he shrugged and said that the Costco pricing was essentially brutal to them, especially since we wouldn't be back for service and opted to not buy any accessories, etc.

After that, I was pretty convinced if I buy a new car again, it'll be via Costco and a secondary market dealer. However, I now have the ability to purchase FCA products with "employee pricing". I'm not to enamored with the choices, a Gladiator is probably the most interesting option, maybe a Ram 1500. I'd be up for either if employee pricing is such a deal that it makes sense to limit my choices to FCA. However, if it's not that much of a difference versus what I could get via conventional buying via Costco, I'm not going to bother.

For those of you with this kind of discount, is it worth it, and does it influence you to buy from that brand even if the choices aren't necessarily exactly what you'd go with otherwise?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      05-21-2020 08:34 PM #2
      Employee pricing at most OEMs tends to suck.

My company offers employee pricing for FCA and it is amazing. 1% under invoice PLUS all available incentives. if that’s the deal you’re being offered, highly recommend it.
      Current: 2015 Chevy SS 6MT (For Sale), 2011 CTS-V Wagon, 1969 Mercedes 250
      Past: 1969 Mercedes 250 w/ V8 swap, 1973 Mercedes 280C, 1977 BMW 320i, 1992 Buick Roadmaster, 2005 Ford Excursion, 2006 E46 M3 ZCP, 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2009 Audi A4 2.0TQ, 2009 BMW 135i, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 2014 Volkswagen Passat SE 1.8T 5MT, 2016 MK7 GTI PP (bought back!)

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-21-2020 08:47 PM #3
      As a Ford shareholder, I qualify for X Plan which is Invoice - .4% - incentives + $275 fee.

One might be able to negotiate a little better price but it's so easy to walk in and say "I qualify for X plan, I want that one."

5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-21-2020 08:54 PM #4
      At least in NorCal, it's easy to beat employee or Costco pricing. I imagine SoCal is the same. Only way to know for sure is to shop around.

Costco/Employee pricing just makes the process a lot easier.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW F30, Porsche 914
      05-21-2020 09:32 PM #5
      When I worked for Toyota (1998 - 2010), employee pricing was a joke. Invoice +3%, minus dealer holdback. A local dealer made it well known to all employees they would do straight invoice minus holdback. Many of our suppliers had better programs to purchase Toyota vehicles than we did.

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      05-22-2020 07:46 AM #6
      In Canada, Ford does employee pricing every fall.

They drop the price of the cars a few grand, and raise the finance rates 3-4 full points.

You don't end up saving anything unless you can pay cash.

8. 05-22-2020 02:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      At least in NorCal, it's easy to beat employee or Costco pricing. I imagine SoCal is the same. Only way to know for sure is to shop around.

Costco/Employee pricing just makes the process a lot easier.
      There's also different "employee" pricing...

sometimes confusing... Back in the day, GM Employee pricing was awesome, but it's been cut down a lot.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Chrysler Imperial, 1986 VW GTI
      05-22-2020 02:29 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      As a Ford shareholder, I qualify for X Plan which is Invoice - .4% - incentives + $275 fee.

One might be able to negotiate a little better price but it's so easy to walk in and say "I qualify for X plan, I want that one."
      Great info! This is good to know for my next purchase, I had no idea.

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      MiguelboomYVC
      05-22-2020 02:53 PM #9
      Hello.
      Does anybody know how to put pictures in a forum post? Please help!

11. 05-22-2020 03:15 PM #10

That's really solid. Are there any restrictions with respect to models or in-inventory versus ordered units?

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      05-22-2020 04:43 PM #11
      Don't forget FCA employee pricing also applies to the Alfa/Fiat portfolio as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2020 01:20 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Don't forget FCA employee pricing also applies to the Alfa/Fiat portfolio as well.
      That is a good point, I'll consider it.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2020 01:25 PM #13

I'm not doubting you, since I know you were deep in the business around here. That said, we got an RS350L/AWD from Lexus of Monterrey w/ everything except the pano-roof and ML stereo and out the door for LESS than a Toyota Highlander Platinum from a Bay Area dealer. My brief experience was that Bay Area dealers do not deal on popular brands/models like Highlanders, Siennas, CRVs, etc. but Costco got us invoice + all incentives which where higher once you left the immediate area.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-23-2020 09:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by rudyr View Post
      I'm not doubting you, since I know you were deep in the business around here. That said, we got an RS350L/AWD from Lexus of Monterrey w/ everything except the pano-roof and ML stereo and out the door for LESS than a Toyota Highlander Platinum from a Bay Area dealer. My brief experience was that Bay Area dealers do not deal on popular brands/models like Highlanders, Siennas, CRVs, etc. but Costco got us invoice + all incentives which where higher once you left the immediate area.
      It all depends on the model. I can't walk into a Ford dealership and get X Plan on a Shelby GT500.