VWVortex.com - Volvo Limits Speed on all Models to 180 kmh (112 mph)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volvo Limits Speed on all Models to 180 kmh (112 mph)

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-23-2020 09:29 AM #51
      Can confirm: working from home, am useless
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-23-2020 09:35 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post
      I don’t necessarily want to go 113 mph. I just want to be able to.
      Toddler logic
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

4. 05-23-2020 09:45 AM #53
      I can tell you my Yukon is limited to an indicated 108mph. I'm sure every Tahoe, Escalade, Sierre, Silverado, and Suburban are also limited there. This will effect absolutely 0% of buyers.

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      05-23-2020 09:50 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      I have no first-hand experience, but between the Greens and traffic congestion, the days of unrestricted autobahn travel are numbered.
      Yep... you obviously have no first hand experience. There are still plenty of areas in Germany with little to no traffic, beautiful new concrete and plenty of room to drive as was intended.

All I want to know is why this nanny garbage would apply to Polestar Engineered cars.

I can't believe this is a car forum...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-23-2020 09:55 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      You guys are boring. I'm against this move. Cars are appliances, volvos are for boring people who don't care etc etc. This basically prevents the idea of an interesting Volvo slipping out of some internal skunkworks ever again.
      Yeah, this. I don't think 112 is a practical limit for anybody. The small percentage of customers that legitimately need to go higher (track days and drag strips are all I can think of) are going to know how to remove this with a tune.

But it's likely going to set a bound on corporate culture. Those with dreams of making an M5 or 911 competitor need not apply.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-23-2020 09:59 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      You guys are boring. I'm against this move. Cars are appliances, volvos are for boring people who don't care etc etc. This basically prevents the idea of an interesting Volvo slipping out of some internal skunkworks ever again.
      Volvo has had plenty of time to make interesting cars, and instead has built a lineup around a FWD platform and 2.0T 4 banger. You're putting the cart before the horse here; Volvo never wanted to make interesting cars in the first place.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-23-2020 10:08 AM #57
      I have no first-hand experience, but between the Greens and traffic congestion, the days of unrestricted autobahn travel are numbered.
      The traffic congestion isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be. North-South routes tend to be a lot more open. East-West routes have a lot more transcontinental traffic including trucks and such and do get clumpy. Typically around major cities the unrestricted stuff is useless/non-existent, but in-between it only comes in waves. Cruise at high speed, come up to a clump and wait your way through, cruise at high-speed, repeat.

I don't think environmental concerns would do it in alone, especially with cars like the Taycan coming out. There's also a decent number of Model S there and a lot of enthusiasts I spoke to are looking forward to more options and more EV imports. Political is definitely a threat though--apparently a lot of people want to axe it for various concerns (safety, environment, construction costs, whatever), but to some degree it's being propped up by lobbying. I found this out the hard way; talking to customers about how much I love Germany and that it's great to go 200kmh was always met with positive reactions...until it wasn't. I got a nice explanation from a customer about how that was unsafe and the political situation is similar to gun control in the US. So now I just stick to pretzels and bier for small talk with our German customers.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-23-2020 10:14 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Volvo has had plenty of time to make interesting cars, and instead has built a lineup around a FWD platform and 2.0T 4 banger. You're putting the cart before the horse here; Volvo never wanted to make interesting cars in the first place.
      I present to you the 2004 S60R. A 300hp transverse turbocharged I5 that came with monobloc calipers and was fairly easy to mod well north of 400hp. That's not bad today but 15 years ago it was so far ahead of it's time. Many of us hoped for that to come back, but as you say, that situation is only deteriorating. This is probably one of the last nails in that coffin.

10. 05-23-2020 11:35 AM #59
      Ah, Volvo, the name invokes images of speed and power, like this Volvo PV 544 Sport

Top speed of 93 miles per hour in this baby. Add some crumple zones, airbags and put a big infotainment tablet on the dash and reissue this beeyotch ASAP.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta S 6MT
      05-23-2020 12:09 PM #60
      I think 112 mph is perfectly reasonable for the roads in NA, I can't tell you the last time I encountered a pack of cars running that speed, which is the only time I will risk it. That said 90+ is quite common in FL, I hit that several times yesterday even in moderate traffic on I-4 between Tampa and Orlando in the left lane, just driving the pace.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      05-24-2020 08:03 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Toddler logic
      No it isn’t. I’d think the people of a car forum would understand that sentiment as much as anyone. I also have a stereo that would shake my neighbors walls if I ever dialed it up to 10. I never go past about 50%. I still like having the capability, and it isn’t like it’s hurting anyone. Even with speed limiters where you’d argue that someone could get hurt, the number of traffic deaths in Volvo’s between the speeds of 113 and 130, have got to be damn near zero.

05-24-2020 08:51 AM #62
      No it isn’t. I’d think the people of a car forum would understand that sentiment as much as anyone.
      Not everyone on a car forum thinks homogeneously. I’d think it was equally silly to drive around on R-comp tires on the street heat cycling them into oblivion. It’s like having a 55’ Cigarette boat on a tiny pond. Other vehicles like show cars or custom DIY builds I can give a pass to for art’s sake because the enthusiast poured their heart into it. But to purposely not buy an ordinary new car solely because it does not have excessive theoretical capacity that you will not ever use and cannot use legally seems silly to me. But choice is good. You make yours, I’ll make mine.

the number of traffic deaths in Volvo’s between the speeds of 113 and 130, have got to be damn near zero.
      You’d be surprised. There are many things that go into speed ratings. I’m sure Volvo’s decision was based on a combination of politics, marketing, safety culture, brand image, insurance industry influence, environmental concern and good old engineering rationale.

14. 05-24-2020 09:15 AM #63
      Not everyone on a car forum thinks homogeneously. I’d think it was equally silly to drive around on R-comp tires on the street heat cycling them into oblivion. It’s like having a 55’ Cigarette boat on a tiny pond. Other vehicles like show cars or custom DIY builds I can give a pass to for art’s sake because the enthusiast poured their heart into it. But to purposely not buy an ordinary new car solely because it does not have excessive theoretical capacity that you will not ever use and cannot use legally seems silly to me. But choice is good. You make yours, I’ll make mine.

You’d be surprised. There are many things that go into speed ratings. I’m sure Volvo’s decision was based on a combination of politics, marketing, safety culture, brand image, insurance industry influence, environmental concern and good old engineering rationale.
      The lure of performance and speed, real or imagined does sell cars though. How many Camrys and Accords were sold with rear deck wings? I remember customers just had to have them. And then there's the V6. Overwhelmingly customers bought the 4 cylinder in both models, but the draw for more power satisfied the other demographic that wanted more, whether they need it or used it at all.

And that other demographic does still exist and some will balk at an agreeably unrealistic curtailing of maximum speed even though you and I know they would never use or need it.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      05-24-2020 09:35 AM #64

Maybe not homogeneously, but I would expect far more here would understand there desire to keep the capability of the car intact.

I’m probably not buying a Volvo any time soon regardless. If I was in the market, the speed limiter would not be a high priority. I’d prefer it not to be there, but as I said before, my car could have the same limit on it and I wouldn’t know. I generally like to keep my cars in a condition where they would be fine on a track, though I’ll likely never do it. It’s Volvo’s direction as a whole that will probably keep me out of a Volvo. They’re great, but a little too relaxed to be my only car. This is just one small piece of a broader strategy that would push me into a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc.

05-24-2020 09:39 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      The lure of performance and speed, real or imagined does sell cars though.
      So put a 200mph indicator on the speedometer and don’t publish vmax figures then.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-24-2020 10:56 AM #66
      So put a 200mph indicator on the speedometer and don’t publish vmax figures then.
      Getting harder and harder these days.

"What's the speedo go up to in this thing?"

"Well, it's digital, so...999?"

18. 05-24-2020 11:41 AM #67
      Well that's just stupid

05-24-2020 11:43 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Well that's just stupid
      And yet many manufacturers do exactly that to appease people like Taco1993.

20. 05-24-2020 11:54 AM #69
      You're trying to disparage Taco1993 when actually he is right. Image, perception, buying more than you need or will ever use pertains to more than just cars mind you.

And do you know where you are?

I mean you're on TCL, the mecca of ewang swinging, bench racing, track numbers comparo Xanadu. It's all around you, what's funny is that you never recognized it or realized you too participate in it.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Jaguar XE S
      05-24-2020 11:55 AM #70
      A simple tune can typically remove these speed limits.

My car is electronically limited to 121 mph, I would be getting a tune to raise the hp and remove the speed limit once the warranty is out.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      05-24-2020 12:02 PM #71
      My grandmother had an Oldsmobile with a speedo that only went up to 85. You’d love it. You can use 100% of it.

I don’t much care what my speedometer says. I don’t even know what mine goes to. I suppose it makes sense to match the capabilities of the car plus a little bit. That makes perfectly logical sense to me.

23. 05-24-2020 12:49 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      nope.

IIRC cars in Japan are supposed to be limited to 180km/h, most of the imported JDM bikes and cars I've seen have speedos that stop at 180km/h. Perhaps it's changed like the previous gentleman's 280hp limit agreement.

24. Member
      05-24-2020 03:28 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by madmax2k1 View Post
      A simple tune can typically remove these speed limits.

My car is electronically limited to 121 mph, I would be getting a tune to raise the hp and remove the speed limit once the warranty is out.
      If Heico isn't doing it with their tunes, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Then there's also the issue that a simple tune can also implement these newer speed limits and Volvo pushes complete vehicle updates every 6 months.

Look at it this way, we can no longer get Sensus to show top down view instead of just the rear camera view when putting the car into reverse following the US May 2017 update even though the ROW vehicles can still do it. Prior to that update, you could choose if you wanted the top down view as default or the rear camera view, but they took away that feature of the vehicle with an update. I can understand wanting to standardize things in Sensus for all the US market vehicles and to conform to the 2017 backup camera law, that's how they decided to do it. The issue now is, I wouldn't put it past them pushing out the new speed limiter to prior model year vehicles with a future software update to standardize things again.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      05-24-2020 04:19 PM #74
      I'm all for this. With my crazy days well behind me, I don't really see myself getting close to triple digit speeds even when I am in a hurry. Roads are just too crowded and the penalties are just not worth it for me.

With current GPS tech, there's no reason why these speed limiters can't be programmed to be lifted on race tracks and unrestricted roads.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-24-2020 05:22 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      With current GPS tech, there's no reason why these speed limiters can't be programmed to be lifted on race tracks and unrestricted roads.
      Yeah, if they did this I'd flip and be on board with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast