VWVortex.com - Android Auto ... I think it blows , anyone else.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android Auto ... I think it blows , anyone else.

1. 05-21-2020 08:57 PM #1
      Basically I have a 19 R ... Is it possible , Android auto is just lump of ****ttt ? It randomly cycles load screens upon intital connection , which it seems to do like it's never seen the phone before , disconnects for no reason. It flashes messages so fast I cant agree or read them. I think it's worse than my 17 GTI . I would go in to detail. But I black out in anger every time I try to use the interface. Regardless of the phone , the charger cord , the car even. It's just garbage my 2 penny's. Anyone else ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 TR Golf R 6MT | 1999 Z3 2.8L 5MT
      05-21-2020 09:26 PM #2
      I've had so many issues with my pixel 2 xl in most cars recently. I've noticed a bad turn for the worse after a patch/update in 2018. Worked fine before then, no issues. I don't think it's just the VWs or the golf r's infotainment as my wife's GSW has the same with my phone. I had problems with a 2019 Ridgeline I had for a brief time last year, too.

I just use BT audio for playing music. The steering wheel controls still work for that and the Google assistant works.

Android is so fragmented between types of phones as well that I think it's a mess. Google needs to fix their sh*t.

My wife has zero issues with her pixel 2. None. Which makes me wonder if it's partially a hardware issue (the pixel 2 and pixel 2 xl were manufactured by different companies).

Also make sure you're using a DATA cable. Most cables are just charging cables with some data purposes, but that won't work properly.
      Last edited by jaysGTI; 05-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      05-21-2020 09:34 PM #3
      I don't use it. Not because it blows but because I don't need it.

I have so much music on the spare SD card in the glove box that I don't have to listen to the same song twice in over a year so no need for Pandora, Spotify or some other music streaming service and waste data on my cell plan.

The nav system on the Golf R works just fine so don't need to supplement it or override it with Google maps.

And the phone connection to the multimedia system works fine so there's not much to change there.

The only thing I might want to use is Waze and I really don't need to use it since my commutes in L.A. are routes I already travel and don't generally need an app to route me around anything.

Overall, it works fine the way it is and I can't see any reason to use Android Auto.
      Last edited by kevinkar; 05-21-2020 at 09:36 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-21-2020 09:39 PM #4
      Galaxy S20 Ultra here; no problems with Android Auto whatsoever.

7. 05-21-2020 09:41 PM #5
      Randomly cycles load screens? Like the the Android auto vs mirror link screen? Or like app screens?

My only issue is sometimes AA will pair with out Bluetooth so audio output doesn't work. I just unplug and connect Bluetooth and it's fine. This is pretty rare and I chalk it more up to the cars Bluetooth.

In my previous car AA could be pretty infuriating. My tips from that car are:

1)Use a good quality cable the best control is the one that came with your phone if possible. Even a new cheap cable can cause issues.

2)Make sure you phone has the latest update (AA has had a lot of bug fixes).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      05-21-2020 09:56 PM #6
      Never had an issue, s8+,note8 and now note 10+

Love it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

9. 05-21-2020 10:00 PM #7
      I seldom drive my R . Today I did. I only connected it to my car because I keep getting this notice on my Galaxy S10 to connect to Android auto because an update is available. Regardless. It just froze screen cycled and gave me no option to update . Not to mention , barely worked for 5 minutes before disconnecting .Why this bother me the most. It's a hard wired connection. That seems to be layered in hand shake protocol issues in 2020 . One of you contributors mentioned how there are far too but Android hand sets. And your EXACTLY right , but as one of you guys also mentioned. We don't really need this , BUT what happens down the road when the overall support vanishes for Bluetooth/ head unit firmware updates..? You know the support for these OEM head units days are numbered. I'm anticipating a touch screen brick in 5 years.

Android auto is a disaster still. It can't compete with the simplicity of Bluetooth Audio. I'm surprised/relieved so far nobody really has any luck with it .

Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      05-21-2020 10:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Never had an issue, s8+,note8 and now note 10+

Love it.

Only had an issue when using a junk cable. Otherwise, its been problem free with my last 3 Samsung phones.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

11. 05-21-2020 10:05 PM #9
      'Randomly cycles load screens? Like the the Android auto vs mirror link screen? "

Yes !!! And selecting Android auto did nothing. Cycle started all over , so I figured I would give mirror link a try. Got the app downloaded - warning mirror link support ends June 2020. Deleted that too.

12. 05-21-2020 10:08 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 70sstrat08 View Post
      Randomly cycles load screens? Like the the Android auto vs mirror link screen? Or like app screens?

My only issue is sometimes AA will pair with out Bluetooth so audio output doesn't work. I just unplug and connect Bluetooth and it's fine. This is pretty rare and I chalk it more up to the cars Bluetooth.

In my previous car AA could be pretty infuriating. My tips from that car are:

1)Use a good quality cable the best control is the one that came with your phone if possible. Even a new cheap cable can cause issues.

2)Make sure you phone has the latest update (AA has had a lot of bug fixes).

Did all of that .. that's why I'm so surprised . I used the new cable out of my S10 box . Latest updates all around. Horrible !

13. 05-21-2020 10:18 PM #11
      Wow... I seeing allot more people saying just the opposite. The " no problems ever " crowd This has to be another because Android thing . 2 completely different experiences from the same software in the same cars ? I bet our friends with iPhones don't have this problem .

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      05-21-2020 10:25 PM #12

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Vehicles
      1997 projektzwo GTI (PVW Jan 01) - 2017 Golf R - 2017 CRV Touring
      05-21-2020 10:33 PM #13
      I've used a Note 4 and for the past 8 months a Note 9 and have no issues with AA at all. My pre-pandemic commute was 85 miles each day and I use AA the whole time. Waze runs for traffic/police updates and I either have di.fm streaming music or have audio books playing using Jet Audio+. I use a Volutz USB cable in the car.

AA auto starts when I turn on the car. and Waze opens up by default.

To enable AA auto start, go to AA settings on your phone, go to the menu on the top right and select "developer settings" and then check the box for "Request Video Focus on start"

Instructions were from this thread

I never have to touch the head unit mode buttons unless I want to switch out of AA and into something else like Radio.

16. 05-21-2020 10:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Gordyzero View Post
      'Randomly cycles load screens? Like the the Android auto vs mirror link screen? "

Yes !!! And selecting Android auto did nothing. Cycle started all over , so I figured I would give mirror link a try. Got the app downloaded - warning mirror link support ends June 2020. Deleted that too.

The mirror link vs AA screen is a VW quirk (most manufacturers just go straight to AA or car play) but not loading into AA after selecting it sounds like a phone issue.

It means the car is recognizing a carplay capable phone is plugged in but AA isn't loading. Since the phone is really the hardware running everything I would start there. Even a bug fix for Android can cause an issue in AA then you're stuck until they release a fix for that. This is particularly bad with phone manufacturers that put their own skin on Android and constantly delay updates. I remember having a galaxy on Verizon and I had to wait for Samsung to make their changes to an Android update then for Verizon to approve.

As much as I like android this is where I give it to apple. Coordinating your own software/hardware and have complete control over your updates works way better.

Just out of curiosity does apple carplay work just fine?

17. 05-21-2020 10:49 PM #15
      No idea if anyone else has apple car play issues. I would like to know . But thanks to everyone for letting me hear your experience so far. I know my experience may be a different phone away. Which is why again , Android Auto is no friend of mine.

18. 05-21-2020 10:52 PM #16
      Just watching that screen cycle over and over in a new car , with a new phone , with a new actual Samsung provide cable. I've stolen wifi that works better. Maybe I'll ask Google assistant to - Google.. take a left off a bridge.

Vehicles
      19' R -- 93' Corrado -- 05' TDI
      05-21-2020 11:29 PM #17
      Guys.... It's your USB cable. Android auto is Extremely picky with cable quality and connection quality. Even a little bit of dust in your phone port will cause issues. Same with dust in the cable end. Get a cable that is decent and clean the ports.

20. 05-22-2020 12:09 AM #18
      I'll try a new cable , again . Could be ... Anything is possible I suppose. After all most people have a different experience. I'll follow up if I find the solution. As it stands in my opinion/experience. Android auto stinks on ice. Between my last 2 Volkswagens , and 3 different phones. All a steaming pile. So far.

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan, 2018 Golf R
      05-22-2020 12:10 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
      Guys.... It's your USB cable. Android auto is Extremely picky with cable quality and connection quality. Even a little bit of dust in your phone port will cause issues. Same with dust in the cable end. Get a cable that is decent and clean the ports.
      This. Use a good quality cable, not that it will fix it 100 percent but I would say I am really happy with mine on my S20+ and it was good with my S10 before. Occasional disconnect but my wifes iPhone acts the same from time to time.....can't live without it, nothing like "hey google" and getting nav directions, text messages, music, etc that works 100% of the time rather than the crappy built in voice recognition of the VW.
      '18 Indium R | DSG | DAP | - MK7.5 Euro taillights | Homelink | Headrests | TTS Brakes | Fold Mirrors - Alum Caps | Uni Stage 2 + DP
      search mattchatr build thread
      '19 Pyrit Highline Tiguan | R-Line| 3rd Row | DAP | - Homelink | Rear Hatch Spoiler | RSB | Golf-R Springs & Brakes | Intake Mods | Neuspeed PM

22. 05-22-2020 12:15 AM #20
      The lack of continuity between Android users and these cars is at the very least ASTONISHING ! If you consider the soak test group ( if you will ) we should by and large have a similar end user experience. I'm glad I posted this thread , turns out like most things. Nobody can agree. Thanks to everyone who contributed !

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      05-22-2020 01:21 AM #21
      The lack of continuity between Android users and these cars is at the very least ASTONISHING ! If you consider the soak test group ( if you will ) we should by and large have a similar end user experience. I'm glad I posted this thread , turns out like most things. Nobody can agree. Thanks to everyone who contributed !

:HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

24. 05-22-2020 06:26 AM #22
      Go with an iPhone, my experience with car play has been awesome and I use it every time I hop in the car. Queue the “Apple sucks post” lol.

Vehicles
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      05-22-2020 08:11 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Face76 View Post
      Only had an issue when using a junk cable. Otherwise, its been problem free with my last 3 Samsung phones.
      Quote Originally Posted by 70sstrat08 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
      Guys.... It's your USB cable. .
      I'll try a new cable , again .
      Quote Originally Posted by mattchatr View Post
      This. Use a good quality cable,
      Pixel 2XL, on Google Fi
      I had issues in the Golf R, until I got a USB-IF certified cable.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never another connection issue again.

Then along came the Jetta GLI - never worked in it. I went nuclear - factory restore of the phone. Got it working in both vehicles.
      Then, something happened in the Jetta, stopped working.

The mechanism of connection i.e. the clicks and things one must go through to get Waze on the dash is different for both vehicles. Which is annoying.

Then once, waze in the Jetta was stuck on night mode. While attempting to fix that it broke again.

For me, the marginal utility of waze on the dash is not so compelling that I feel I must use AA. Like another in this thread I have 256GB SD card in the dash for music and pod casts. It is nice for those time I want to run waze and google maps simultaneously.

I am done futzing with it in the Jetta.

Quote Originally Posted by kaschenberg View Post
      Queue the “Apple sucks post” lol.
      Apple sucks.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

26. 05-22-2020 08:16 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      Pixel 2XL, on Google Fi
      I had issues in the Golf R, until I got a USB-IF certified cable.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never another connection issue again.

Then along came the Jetta GLI - never worked in it. I went nuclear - factory restore of the phone. Got it working in both vehicles.
      Then, something happened in the Jetta, stopped working.

The mechanism of connection i.e. the clicks and things one must go through to get Waze on the dash is different for both vehicles. Which is annoying.

Then once, waze in the Jetta was stuck on night mode. While attempting to fix that it broke again.

For me, the marginal utility of waze on the dash is not so compelling that I feel I must use AA. Like another in this thread I have 256GB SD card in the dash for music and pod casts. It is nice for those time I want to run waze and google maps simultaneously.

I am done futzing with it in the Jetta.

Apple sucks.
      Apple doesn’t suck. There’s a good reason they sell more phones and computers than any other manufacturer. Dig in to the iphones internals and compare them to any android out there and you’ll see their custom designed cpu blows away anything that’s put in to an android device in benchmarks and real world tests. I used to be such an android fanboy and would root my phone, install all sorts of garbage tweaking apps because “android is open source and you can customize it!” Turns out the phone was just a buggy piece of crap and when I switched over to an iPhone I realized what was important, it’s a phone and when I need it to work, it just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2019 TR Golf R 6MT | 1999 Z3 2.8L 5MT
      05-22-2020 08:23 AM #25
      Here we go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast