VWVortex.com - Help needed: Can't get DSG tranny back in, doesn't mate with engine
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help needed: Can't get DSG tranny back in, doesn't mate with engine

1. 05-22-2020 02:00 AM #1
      Desperately need help with mating a DSG tranny and TSI motor together. I failed the first time by mating them up and pulling them together with the bolts. Never could close the gap tighter than 1/4". That ended up messing up the splines on the flywheel.
      I pulled the tranny and started over, filed the flywheel splines until it mates with the tranny and made another go.
      I hung the tranny and supported below with a jack. Seems like it lines up but i can never get them to just snap together. When i gingerly try and pull things evenly together with bolts, making sure the 2 dowels are mating, then tranny still stops short.
      When I turn the crank, it turns normally until i get a little more tension on the motor bolts and then the crank starts to bind a lot.
      What am i doing wrong or need to do?
      Under normal circumstances, when the motor is mated fully to DSG tranny, should the crank turn freely/normally?

Very frustrated, really could use help/advice.

Thanks, Tom
      The car is actually an Audi a3q 2010

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R 6MT, '15 Touareg Exec TDI, 2011 GTI DSG
      05-22-2020 09:05 AM #2
      This can be a daunting task, if for no other reason than a DSG is one heavy gearbox.

When I rebuilt my ‘12 GTI I noticed that the DSG flywheel was shot. The two halves had several millimeters of float, vs a new one which had none. The flywheel bolts attach the back plate to the crank, the splined section is the other half of the flywheel. The smooth nose of the input shaft into the DSG is a pilot bearing, which slips into a pocket in the back of the crank, after the spline section aligns. If the two halves of the flywheel are not concentric (due to the FW damper mechanism being shot) it is incredibly difficult to line up and draw the trans to block.

The engine should rotate with the DSG on, assuming it’s not in P. In any other gear you should be able to rotate the crank, albeit it with more drag than without the trans on, it should still turn.

If the center hub section of the FW has any axial movement vs the outer section of the FW, replace it (if the two sections of the FW can orbit on the same axis as the crank) . Fore and aft movement of the two parts should be a few mm to zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. 05-22-2020 03:50 PM #3
      Thank you for your hints and experience.

We tried again with another guy and some muscles.

Made sure the alignment was better fore/aft and angle, and with a crap load of shaking and shoving, the bolts held things together and pulled nicely in and now all is well.

The crank turns freely and the two are mated. Has been horrible to do, but glad it worked out.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen, Golf GTI
      05-22-2020 04:55 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
      Desperately need help with mating a DSG tranny
      This is not that sort of forum for these things You need to seek professional help

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
      The engine should rotate with the DSG on, assuming it’s not in P
      The engine can rotate even in PARK. That's how one starts the engine. The only thing that's different is that the differential is locked in place by the parking pawl. The DSG clutches would be open at this point with the engine OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
      We tried again with another guy and some muscles.
      Again, this is not that type of forum.

On a serious note though, my DSG only required me to gently rotate the crankshaft into alignment with the splines, then I gently tightened up the bolts in increments, until I was sure that it was properly lined up.
      For anyone doing this at home, then it definitely needs 3 people to do it

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R 6MT, '15 Touareg Exec TDI, 2011 GTI DSG
      05-22-2020 06:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
      This is not that sort of forum for these things You need to seek professional help

The engine can rotate even in PARK. That's how one starts the engine. The only thing that's different is that the differential is locked in place by the parking pawl. The DSG clutches would be open at this point with the engine OFF.

Again, this is not that type of forum.

On a serious note though, my DSG only required me to gently rotate the crankshaft into alignment with the splines, then I gently tightened up the bolts in increments, until I was sure that it was properly lined up.
      For anyone doing this at home, then it definitely needs 3 people to do it
      This is what I get for answering posts before 8AM. Some how I processed axle flanges vs crankshaft. Lucky I had any good advice at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk