Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RoadTrip: Bay Area to Seattle and Back... 4 Days

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      05-22-2020 08:23 PM #26
      I really enjoyed the detour from 5 in OR that gmaps took me on to avoid the construction a couple years ago. I think it was the volcanic historical route. Driving by Odell lake was awesome as I played the game at school

And it was super pretty and crazy to see a lake that full, since I am used to California. When I went, the water line was all the way to the tree line.

My parents have a house at Lake Almanor, so that is old hat for me. 172 off of 36 outside of Lake Almanor is an all time road, and joins back to 36.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      05-22-2020 08:41 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      You should stop and wander around for a bit in Ashland if you haven't been there before. It's a super cute little city with a very pretty downtown and a really nice park right there.
      As an Ashland resident.....no, you shouldn't....try medford.... It's like zombie town without the tourists....

But yeah, a bunch of the restaurants opened up for dine in seating, although it's pretty much been all locals lately....
      Last edited by funnee84bunny; 05-22-2020 at 08:43 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

05-22-2020 08:49 PM #28
      No pics yet. I guess there is no 4G coverage in Oregon.

5. Member
      05-22-2020 09:38 PM #29
      Make sure to take pictures of those dudes throwing fish to each other at the Pikes Market. Also get the best Mac N Cheese in the world at Beecher's Handmade cheese shop.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      05-22-2020 09:44 PM #30
      I wonder how much traffic you'll encounter.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-22-2020 10:26 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir VR6 View Post
      Make sure to take pictures of those dudes throwing fish to each other at the Pikes Market. Also get the best Mac N Cheese in the world at Beecher's Handmade cheese shop.
      Market is still closed I think, Beecher's has limited hours and is take-out only.
      call it potatography

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-22-2020 11:58 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      I've done this same drive twice now. First time was trading my Viggen for my friends Cobra. 2nd time was on Top Gear style multi $1000 car road trip with friends (took us literally 24 hours from Bay area to Kirkland, semi nightmare haha).

If you feel like seeing some car content the Seattle Ferrari dealer is pretty cool and there is unique downstairs vault but not sure how open to visitors they are.
      Wait, you weren’t one of the guys who did this with the Firebird and the lifted 9-5 wagon, are you?

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-22-2020 11:59 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      You should stop and wander around for a bit in Ashland if you haven't been there before. It's a super cute little city with a very pretty downtown and a really nice park right there.
      Good call. Ashland is neat.

Glad you guys are doing the 101 route around the Olympic Rainforest. LMK if you need more info.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra, Mk7 GTI
      05-23-2020 12:45 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Wait, you weren’t one of the guys who did this with the Firebird and the lifted 9-5 wagon, are you?
      Si that was us haha. Trying to plan a larger 2nd trip but recent events have pushed it back again. I don't remember if i ever made a thread on here. I really should have.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

11. 05-23-2020 12:55 AM #35
      Stopped for night. Might swap a route into Oregon.

Even better I’m running Colorado plates on a rental.

No way do I have time to do the coastal route if I go around the peninsula. Unless I can find some good stuff to keep me up and alert during the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Member
      05-23-2020 01:03 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Market is still closed I think, Beecher's has limited hours and is take-out only.
      Sad. Well, mac and cheese to go from that place is still worth it in my book.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      05-23-2020 02:27 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      Will suck a bit less, I suppose.

Bingo. Was thinking/hoping you might get a non-CA-plated rental.

Funny, I heard nothing but whining about Californians moving to the NW and "ruining" the place in my decades growing up up there. Funny how none of them thanked me when I moved to CA
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

Vehicles
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      05-23-2020 12:39 PM #38

No way do I have time to do the coastal route if I go around the peninsula. Unless I can find some good stuff to keep me up and alert during the drive.

That is actually a beautiful drive. From Lassen it passes through Lava Tubes national monument just before the Oregon border. I'm actually heading out the door from Ashland and head to Lassen, and take that route back to the oregon border to hop on 66 back to Ashland. Just remember to gas up.......Not much out there.

Have fun!
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

15. 05-24-2020 02:40 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      That is actually a beautiful drive. From Lassen it passes through Lava Tubes national monument just before the Oregon border. I'm actually heading out the door from Ashland and head to Lassen, and take that route back to the oregon border to hop on 66 back to Ashland. Just remember to gas up.......Not much out there.

Have fun!
      It absolutely was.

And to those of you who think it’s possible to drive the coast back... it was 13 hours on the road today the fastest way... it’s 17ish hours just driving back if I do the peninsula or parts of it.

The coast would be 22/24 hours of driving in two days. Y’all insane.

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      05-24-2020 03:28 AM #40
      You had me at road trip.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      05-24-2020 04:08 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      Time doesn't matter. The selected route is boring AF. It's just interstate.

Coastal route is the most beautiful road in the US. I don't know what's there to think about.

If time is of the essence, then just fly. Why bother driving stupid interstates.
      The coastal route will make everything much more of a pain in the ass. The hotels on the coast, which focus on currently non-existing tourism, will be closed as will restaurants. That's if they are open to you. Sonoma County, for example, has closed temporary rentals for non-essential reasons, and driving to pick up a car might not pass muster.
      The freeway will have more options.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-24-2020 01:10 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      The coastal route will make everything much more of a pain in the ass. The hotels on the coast, which focus on currently non-existing tourism, will be closed as will restaurants. That's if they are open to you. Sonoma County, for example, has closed temporary rentals for non-essential reasons, and driving to pick up a car might not pass muster.
      The freeway will have more options.
      Oregon beach towns allegedly reopened the weekend before last, FYI. So hotels should be available.

19. 05-24-2020 03:04 PM #43
      Oregon beach towns allegedly reopened the weekend before last, FYI. So hotels should be available.
      It’s a county by county variant so yea.

Currently floating from Edmonds to Kingston.

Car is CLEAN.

Surface rust on rear hatch as is standard, but that’s the only spot. Interior is near perfect. He had already installed a BT adapter so makes road tripping great!

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      05-25-2020 12:06 PM #44
      It absolutely was.

And to those of you who think it’s possible to drive the coast back... it was 13 hours on the road today the fastest way... it’s 17ish hours just driving back if I do the peninsula or parts of it.

The coast would be 22/24 hours of driving in two days. Y’all insane.

In 2010 my wife and I thought it would be cool to drive down the coast and go to Disneyland. We went westbound at Olympia, then across the Astoria bridge, and then all the way down to LA. I think we spent 1-2 night at four or five places along the way. It probably took 50 hours of driving to get down there, maybe more, it was borderline insane. I got home after the trip on the I-5 straight up in 21 hours.

21. 05-25-2020 11:22 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      In 2010 my wife and I thought it would be cool to drive down the coast and go to Disneyland. We went westbound at Olympia, then across the Astoria bridge, and then all the way down to LA. I think we spent 1-2 night at four or five places along the way. It probably took 50 hours of driving to get down there, maybe more, it was borderline insane. I got home after the trip on the I-5 straight up in 21 hours.
      We left Everett WA on the 11:55 ferry to Kingston.

We then went around Olympia, stopped for maybe 45min at salt creek (or something like that) near Port Angeles and then kept driving. Everything was closed around the park.

We got just north of Eugene at 11:48pm and slept at the rest stop.

Woke up at 7:30 and hit the road with one stop at Lake Shasta for like 35 minutes.

That was straight I-5 with NO traffic. But was doing speed limit as I had the POs plates.

Food and gas of course. Was over 1,000 miles.

Got home at 7:40 today.

Photos will be coming. I’m exhausted.

Found two issues with the car:
      Drivers side mirror motor doesn’t go up/down.
      AC Evaporator appears plugged and needs cleaned.

Other than that, the car is a beast on the highway and so damn comfortable.
      - Im less tired after driving it than I was driving an Acadia Denali up to Everett.

Vehicles
      '18 Ioniq, '66 Stude Daytona
      05-25-2020 11:32 PM #46
      Small world, leaving the area I grew up in and passing by where I'm currently at. Unfortunately, WA drivers on the 5 are essentially CA expats; on the OlyPen, people understand zipper merges and turn signals for the most part relative to what I've seen from the seatac area.
      4/29/17: Dear Diary, Today I got Nater'd...

Vehicles
      2002 Impreza OBS, 2000 F350, 1996 4Runner, 1963 Riviera
      05-26-2020 08:43 AM #47
      Still waiting for pics of the purchase!
      @saugster_pnw

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      05-26-2020 10:58 AM #48
      can confirm the area around tillamook/nehalem/manzanita is open
      and makes a good case for doing the off-i5 journey down in OR rather than WA where a lot of that stuff is going to be closed or more deserted.

personally i think the OR coast is more scenic for a drive by viewing anyway.

in, for pics

25. 05-26-2020 11:43 AM #49
      GX470 or LX470... hmm

Vehicles
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      05-26-2020 12:21 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Watch for speed traps around Salem, OR, and Chehalis, WA. Or just keep Maps/Waze/whatever running to alert you of speed traps.
      Watch out for Lacey, WA all the way to Lakewood, WA. That's one giant speed trap. Honk when you get to the big, tall bridge over I-5 in Olympia so I can hear ya go by
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>> -- My IG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast