VWVortex.com - Collection of Pontiac Fieros destroyed by Michigan dam collapse and flood
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Collection of Pontiac Fieros destroyed by Michigan dam collapse and flood

1. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-22-2020 03:17 PM #1
      Kinda sad...

Pontiac Fiero Museum In Michigan Destroyed By Flood: Video

BY SAM MCEACHERN — MAY 22, 2020

Floodwaters from Tittabawassee River ravaged the Michigan town of Sanford this week, claiming several local businesses including a Pontiac Fiero museum and workshop known as Fieros Forever.

The museum is owned by Pontiac Fiero enthusiast Tim Evans, who has been collecting, repairing and selling Fieros for over a decade. The flood destroyed the building itself and scattered Evans’ Fieros across the town of Sanford, with news reports showing some cars flipped on their roofs and others filled with mud and water.

According to The Detroit Free Press, Evans had 20 Fieros stored in the building and just one survived: the car he used to flee the area as the floodwaters began to descend on the small mid-Michigan town.

Parts of Michigan are experiencing extreme flooding after the Edenville and Sanford dams broke, causing floodwaters from the Tittabawassee River and two neighboring lakes to spill over. Evans had tried to move his cars to dry ground as news of the impending flood circulated, but was unable to get all of them out in time. He told the Free Press that he has not yet contacted his insurance company about the cars, but he has already learned the damage to his building will not be covered.

Evans told the Free Press the flood damage has been “devastating” for him and his wife, who began amassing their Fiero collection a little more than a decade ago. Among the cars lost in the flood were a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy 500 Pace Car and a Fiero-based Lamborghini Diablo replica.

Evans also explained that his love for the Fiero is tied to it being a fairly advanced vehicle for the time.

“It had a chassis that was made out of steel,” he told the Free Press. “They built the car in five sub-assemblies, and then they put it into this mill and drill machine.”

It seems doubtful that Fieros Forever will return to its former glory. Evans was trying to sell the shop and his car collection after recently suffering a stroke, but had to put the planned auction on the backburner due to the COVID-19 pandemic. With the shop and its contents now destroyed, this appears to be the end of the road for the Fiero enthusiast destination.

Subscribe to GM Authority for more Pontiac Fiero news, Pontiac news and around-the-clock GM news coverage.

Read more: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/05...y-flood-video/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      05-22-2020 03:29 PM #2
      There's a Fiero museum?
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      05-22-2020 03:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      There's a Fiero museum?
      Not anymore!

5. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      05-22-2020 03:41 PM #4
      There's a Fiero museum?
      Was.

I fell sorry for the old man and his wife.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      BlueStar, NA, V227
      05-22-2020 04:48 PM #5
      I used to drive past that at least once a week. I thought the guy was running a Fiero parts business. There was always 10-15 cars out front. Never knew it was a museum.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

7. 05-22-2020 04:51 PM #6
      Heart gores out to the couple, solid car people, what a loss. I always liked the look of the Fiero:

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      05-22-2020 09:03 PM #7
      There's a Fiero museum?
      The odd part is that it was destroyed by flood instead of fire.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      05-22-2020 09:45 PM #8
      That really sucks.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

10. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      05-22-2020 09:54 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Heart gores out to the couple, solid car people, what a loss. I always liked the look of the Fiero:

A coworker owned one of these, except in white, back in the day (1989).

Really wanted one back then and it seemed that it would have a bigger part in GM's future.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-22-2020 10:54 PM #10
      Do any photos of the museum exist before the flood?

12. 05-23-2020 01:21 AM #11
      Would have been cool to visit

13. Member
      05-23-2020 01:31 AM #12
      RIP. They will join all those Corvette's in the Chevy heaven that were destroyed when that other museum fell into a sinkhole...

05-23-2020 09:38 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion R-Line 3.6, 2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      05-23-2020 09:42 AM #14
      Irony alert.

16. 05-23-2020 11:15 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Do any photos of the museum exist before the flood?
      Couldn't find much.

Here's a good blog post with a few interior shots:

http://oneduffy.blogspot.com/2012/09...s-forever.html

:

An old advert:

:

Pelican Parts forum post from 2006 relevant to formation:

There's a small town (3-4 blocks long!) in Northern Michigan where a retired architect is building a Fiero museum. I had driven by this place a few times over the years and noticed the Fieros piling up like chord wood. One day, a guy was out working on a car so I stopped to see what he was up to. He took me inside this non-descript building and it was filled with a few dozen more Fieros, many low-mile cars. He's also got tons of NOS stuff he bought from Pontiac. He told me about a prototype V8 Corvette-killer that got axed by GM. He's remodeling the place and making a museum to be called Fieros Forever!

:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...-296miles.html

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-23-2020 12:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post
      Couldn't find much.
      That's what I mean. Why aren't there more? It's almost as if he has a strict "no photos" sign hanging on the front door.

Vehicles
      2015 vw golf sportwagen tdi 6speed manual, 1992 honda civic vx *gsr swap with bolt ons*
      05-23-2020 12:16 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      not going to lie here this made me laugh and at the same time feels bad about the couple

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      05-23-2020 01:17 PM #18
      Sad to hear.

Fun facts-

The Fiero got all new suspension in the final year (88), the original suspension was Chevette in the front and X-Car in the back except flipped backwards.
      If a 2G Fiero was built, It would have probably had the Olds DOHC quad4 and the 3.4L DOHC V6.
      The engine fires in early cars were due to a very small 3 quart oil sump and the Iron Duke's tendency to drink oil (thus throwing rods).

My personal view is that the Fiero was a missed opportunity and a mediocre car due to the corporate culture at GM. It was too compromised to challenge the CRX or even the J-body as an economical commuter, and wasn't a great sports car like the MR2 or X1-9. It used an outdated engine with poor breathing characteristics and a mere 90 hp, the vast majority of the run had only a 4 speed when it should have had a 5 speed at launch, and it was 400lbs heavier than an AW11 (which had a 5 speed and a 7000 RPM twincam). The V6 helped but it pushed the price into ponycar territory.

The Fiero would have been more successful if GM-while designing the Citation to become America's answer to Honda's Accord- designed a big OHC four cylinder to replace the Iron duke (a 1962 design!), or even used the Pontiac J2000's 150hp 1.8T until the Quad-4 was ready. In fact, designing a high volume modern 4 would have solved the J-bodies biggest problem as well.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-23-2020 10:29 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Sad to hear.

Fun facts-

The Fiero got all new suspension in the final year (88), the original suspension was Chevette in the front and X-Car in the back except flipped backwards.
      If a 2G Fiero was built, It would have probably had the Olds DOHC quad4 and the 3.4L DOHC V6.
      The engine fires in early cars were due to a very small 3 quart oil sump and the Iron Duke's tendency to drink oil (thus throwing rods).

My personal view is that the Fiero was a missed opportunity and a mediocre car due to the corporate culture at GM. It was too compromised to challenge the CRX or even the J-body as an economical commuter, and wasn't a great sports car like the MR2 or X1-9. It used an outdated engine with poor breathing characteristics and a mere 90 hp, the vast majority of the run had only a 4 speed when it should have had a 5 speed at launch, and it was 400lbs heavier than an AW11 (which had a 5 speed and a 7000 RPM twincam). The V6 helped but it pushed the price into ponycar territory.

The Fiero would have been more successful if GM-while designing the Citation to become America's answer to Honda's Accord- designed a big OHC four cylinder to replace the Iron duke (a 1962 design!), or even used the Pontiac J2000's 150hp 1.8T until the Quad-4 was ready. In fact, designing a high volume modern 4 would have solved the J-bodies biggest problem as well.
      The rumor at the time is that the Quad 4 was slated for 1989, but folks in the Corvette program were threatened by it. It would’ve been a hell of a car!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

21. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      05-23-2020 10:56 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Irony alert.
      My youngest sister had a red one in the later 80's and it did catch fire. Then again, I am certain she neglected it even more than she neglected her kids (and that was bad, but true).
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

22. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      05-24-2020 06:23 AM #21
      Very sad, I love Fieros.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The rumor at the time is that the Quad 4 was slated for 1989, but folks in the Corvette program were threatened by it. It would’ve been a hell of a car!
      That would have been the perfect motor for it.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      05-24-2020 09:20 PM #22
      This makes me Fiero-sad.

24. 05-25-2020 02:01 AM #23
      Seemed like more of a small business than a real museum but it's sad in any case, terrible thing and the poor guy was ill on top of all of it.
      These are historic cars and it's always a terrible loss when they are damaged, or destroyed.

Typical in GM's wisdom they created a mess with the initial Fiero, which seemed to be a hodgepodge of design and engineering on the cheap,
      and finally after years they got it right, then they cancelled the project.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      05-25-2020 02:36 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      What's a "Quad 4"? Four 4-cylinder engines?

05-25-2020 03:08 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      What's a "Quad 4"? Four 4-cylinder engines?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_4_engine

They were 4 valve, 4 cylinder engines, which was somewhat unique for budget-oriented vehicles from GM at the time.