VWVortex.com - Ford Puma won't be coming to North America.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Puma won't be coming to North America.

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      05-22-2020 04:11 PM #1
      https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/fo...ica-exclusive/

Baffling decision by Ford, the king of baffling decisions. The Puma is not only a competitive product among B-class crossovers (a hot segment on both sides of the ocean) it actually looks great. And the Ford Ecosport is one of the worst cars on the market today, particularly when you factor in value, it's junk-a Nissan Kicks blows it away. And it will be 10 years old soon for a vehicle designed for 3rd world markets..

The Ecosport will eventually have to be replaced being the sales flop that it is. Why wouldn't Ford import the Puma as it's logical replacement? Is this just typical Detroit gatekeeping good products away from American buyers, as they are known for?

I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-22-2020 04:19 PM #2
      Could be worse. As the case of VW refreshing the ~1000 units a month Passat, and having exactly zero entries into the hot subcompact crossover segment. *shrug*

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-22-2020 04:24 PM #3
      Ford America want is American should buy F150...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      05-22-2020 04:48 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Ford America want is American should buy F150...
      Que?
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      05-22-2020 05:02 PM #5
      They ought to build them in Mexico, but I guess the plant there is already at capacity (ramping up for Mach-E), and then they got blocked by the Orange Guy for that second plant.

An island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.
      Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      05-22-2020 05:09 PM #6
      They probably have not been able to identify a plant were to share space. At the moment they might also have not decided to ship it over because it may be due for a refresh and it would not be a good investment to federalize it at the moment. Maybe they are trying to avoid another MK2 Focus, like when we were supposed to get the Volvo shared architecture and the 5 cylinder turbo and ended up with the refresh of the first gen. Only good thing that came out was the 2.3 but only for a year if I remember.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      You mean CalDeRoo?

8. 05-22-2020 06:18 PM #7
      I have nothing to add except that I really like that Puma in that blue.

(BoratVeryNice.jpg)

Vince

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-22-2020 06:48 PM #8
      America is a banana republic, so a bifurcated lineup bookended by third world **** boxes like the Ecosport and 100K F150s feels sadly appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      05-22-2020 07:10 PM #9
      I don't know, the EcoSport has replaced the Focus as the fleet sales cars at my company and I think they're pretty decent little cars. As for the Puma, I can see why they would choose to sell a car that's already being built in Brazil to US specs rather than importing a similar model with no automatic option from Romania.

11. 05-22-2020 07:33 PM #10

A couple more years and the original Puma will be okay for USA.

It is a very well regarded FWD coupe.

‘Ford was on a dynamic roll when it made the Puma, having already given us the Ka, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo. They were all fine handling cars, but the Puma topped the lot. Technically, there’s little special about it, but the detailing is excellent: the taut yet supple damping, the slack-free steering, the snappy, accurate gearshift. The Puma instantly feels right, and proves wonderfully direct and agile, yet despite the brightness of its turn-in, the tail never really threatened to break away.

‘A car to make every driver feel skillful, observes Simister. It feels utterly foolproof and confidence inspiring, so you can go quickly in it straight away’.

:

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/puma
      The Puma Bullitt ad was pretty cool too.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      05-22-2020 07:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post

A couple more years and the original Puma will be okay for USA.
      I remember these from Colin McRae Rally 2.0.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      05-22-2020 07:54 PM #12
      This is Ford at their very best.

The Ecosport is not fit for domestic consumption, and overpriced given its third world roots, but that's what we get.

The Puma will be labeled as "too small" and "too expensive" for us.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-22-2020 10:04 PM #13
      That's a shame. The Puma is what they should have brought over in the first place and ignored the Ecosport. I enjoy smaller vehicles, and I was bummed when Ford went anti-car. At least having a decent CUV would't leave the small end of their lineup neglected. As it is, I think we'll see the Ecosport go away at some point, and Ford will proclaim that the US doesn't want a small CUV. No, we just don't want a cheaply built, overpriced afterthought that only serves to try to help their CAFE or some crazy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WINDSORB4TDI View Post
      I have nothing to add except that I really like that Puma in that blue.

(BoratVeryNice.jpg)

Vince
      Agreed, that's a good color on that.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-23-2020 02:11 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      They probably have not been able to identify a plant were to share space. At the moment they might also have not decided to ship it over because it may be due for a refresh and it would not be a good investment to federalize it at the moment. Maybe they are trying to avoid another MK2 Focus, like when we were supposed to get the Volvo shared architecture and the 5 cylinder turbo and ended up with the refresh of the first gen. Only good thing that came out was the 2.3 but only for a year if I remember.
      The Puma was brand new in 2019 - knowing Ford, it's not going to get a refresh until 2024. Since it's based on the B Global Platform (Fiesta) they could build it in Romania, China, or Turkey.

16. 05-23-2020 02:23 PM #15
      Didnt know the ecosport is a flop

It is a cute uv just like the encore, small and pudgy

Vehicles
      05-23-2020 03:10 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Didnt know the ecosport is a flop

It is a cute uv just like the encore, small and pudgy
      It's a lousy product for a myriad of reasons* and Ford has a proper B-segment CUV that would blow away the Chevy Trax.

*It's overweight. The Fiesta was 2500 lbs which was fine with the 1 liter turbo, the Ecosport is 3000-3360. Due to the weight overwhelming the engine, it gets lousy fuel economy for it's small size. Finally, it's overpriced for what is a near 10 year old car designed for developing markets. It just has zero redeeming merits to justify it, and Ford makes a good product that fits into a hot segment.
      Last edited by 88c900t; 05-23-2020 at 03:14 PM.

05-23-2020 03:51 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      It's a lousy product for a myriad of reasons* and Ford has a proper B-segment CUV that would blow away the Chevy Trax.

*It's overweight. The Fiesta was 2500 lbs which was fine with the 1 liter turbo, the Ecosport is 3000-3360. Due to the weight overwhelming the engine, it gets lousy fuel economy for it's small size. Finally, it's overpriced for what is a near 10 year old car designed for developing markets. It just has zero redeeming merits to justify it, and Ford makes a good product that fits into a hot segment.
      EcoSport is also nearly a foot shorter than everything in the segment due to being limited to 4 meters to comply with Indian regulations.

Vehicles
      05-23-2020 04:36 PM #18
      I'd also like to point out that Ford is notorious for doing exactly this.

-The Taurus was revolutionary in 86. By 2000 it was an out of date fleet car, and they released the 3G Mondeo that year. It took until 2006 to get a variant of the Mondeo platform here, Mazda did in 2002. If you've driven both a M6 and Taurus, there is no comparison.

-Ford did the exact same thing with the Focus, rather than giving us the new C1 chassis 2G Focus to replace the successful but aging 1998 design, kept refreshing the old car until 2011. Again, Mazda responded with the contemporary and fun Mazda 3, on a variant of Ford's C1 platform.

The Powershift debacle was a poorly thought out and financially ruinous decision by Ford and is likely the largest reason that the Focus/Fiesta are gone from the US (the Focus Active would have had a conventional auto as does the Ecosport). You can't blame consumers and TCLers for that.

Considering the thuggish nature of the communist Chinese and their negligence/malfeasance in the Covid plague, I'm happy that the built in China Focus Active was cancelled, even if it would have been a decent product that Ford needed.
      Last edited by 88c900t; 05-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Vehicles
      2007 Buick LaCrosse CX, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      05-23-2020 05:52 PM #19
      While I have some questions about Ford's decision-making in recent years, I think they're probably right about this one. None of the Euro-centric mini crossovers have been very successful here. The Nissan Juke was replaced with a "developing country" model (Kicks) that seems to be a better fit for our market. Toyota C-HR may be going down a similar path. There just isn't that much market for premium products at the smaller end of the scale here, whether sedans or crossovers. In Europe, there are a lot of people who want a nice car that's also quite small by our standards, and are willing to pay for it.

The Ecosport is a fairly old model globally. I imagine there will be a next-gen that's more appropriate for our market. Ford needs to keep something in the "affordable" range to replace all the stuff they discontinued.

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Thousands of hubcaps in stock at www.rimtrim.com | Pontiac Project Thread

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      05-23-2020 09:58 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Could be worse. As the case of VW refreshing the ~1000 units a month Passat, and having exactly zero entries into the hot subcompact crossover segment. *shrug*
      It cost VW a minimal amount of money to do so, and they keep an entry in that segment. It also sells far more than 1000 a month. The new model had barely hit dealers before corona so jury's still out on sales. But they do need a subcompact CUV, and I think they should also bring over the tig swb

As for Ford, they should just stick with F150's, Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, and the Mustang for America. The rest is trash. Brother's 3 year old Escape has paint peeling already, what a joke the cheap Fords are...
      Last edited by ZPayne; 05-23-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      05-24-2020 03:36 AM #21
      It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that this is the product Ford needs over here right now, That godawful POS EcoSport was far too little, too late.

Why are the domestic carmakers seemingly run by such a ramshackle menagerie of nitwits and nincompoops?
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      A 2019 Mexican German Yuppie/College Girl Mobile
      05-24-2020 05:25 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      I agree. After seeing new mid-size sedans like the new Altima, Camry, Sonata, K7, and the like, VW really should have tried harder with that Passat to make it at least a little more relevant. Not that it isn't a *decent* car in its own right-- it is. That car quite possibly is roomiest sedan produced today that isn't a $100k+ luxo-barge. In 2009, the NMS Passat would have been state-of-the-art. In 2020? It's a pathetic attempt to stay in a shrinking segment. IMO, they should have just killed it all together if they were going to put that little effort into it. The again, I see several of the refreshed Passats every day around here. Maybe car manufacturers and journalists are right; the American consumers probably are a bunch of idiots.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      05-24-2020 07:44 AM #23
      I guess I don’t exactly have my finger on the pulse of the American car buyer. I can figure out why anyone would want that or any other subcompact SUV. Seems like it just kinda deletes the biggest advantage of having a SUV in the first place.

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      05-24-2020 02:47 PM #24
      German price list: https://www.ford.de/content/dam/guxe...-ford-puma.pdf

Not good, not great. Even knocking of the 19% VAT and taking into account a great exchange rate ($1.09:1 Euro) the base stripper is around $17-18k; with the top model pushing $30k. Are you guys saying this should be a Fiesta or Focus replacement?

26. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      05-24-2020 03:52 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      German price list: https://www.ford.de/content/dam/guxe...-ford-puma.pdf

Not good, not great. Even knocking of the 19% VAT and taking into account a great exchange rate ($1.09:1 Euro) the base stripper is around $17-18k; with the top model pushing $30k. Are you guys saying this should be a Fiesta or Focus replacement?
      It's more than price.. it's does the market feel like it's a good value at that price?
      For example, a 19 Fiesta hatchback SE was close to $18k with the auto and destination.

I think the current market is way more open to a mini-crossover for that price than an obvious economy car, especially if it drives well and isn't already old/slow like the Ecosport.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast