VWVortex.com - Car doesn’t start ‘05 convertible turbo gas
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car doesn’t start ‘05 convertible turbo gas

1. 05-22-2020 06:13 PM #1
      We bought a car at our scrap yard for junk because it doesn’t start. It’s nice 108k mile car so going to try fixing for my 15 year old daughter. The car cranks but doesn’t start. I did get it to light on starting fluid briefly. Also after I charged battery the auxiliary water pump wouldn’t shut off even with key off, I unplugged it. I’m new to VW’s, could the no starting issue and water pump issue be related? Like water temperature sensor reading wrong and showing high so won’t let car run as safety feature and turns pump on to cool?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      05-22-2020 08:51 PM #2
      I would start with the basics; scan for trouble codes and don't overlook the simple stuff, compression, fuel, ignition spark.

The auxiliary electric waterpump; will stay on for awhile, after the car is turned off (this is normal) and then, shut off. If it stays on and won't turn off; it typically, is defective.

Scan for codes and let us know; what you find. Fuel delivery related issues; can be a 409 fuel pump relay or a failing fuel pump.

service manual links; that maybe helpful:

fuel pressure testing:

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...pecifications/

compression testing:

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...pecifications/

Keep in mind, one of the most common issues with the 1.8T; is a failed timing belt and this can bend all the valves, causing low/no compression, no start condition. This, along with failed automatic transmissions; are the primary reason, many end up in the junkyard.

Let us know, any trouble codes you find and if compression, fuel pressure, ignition spark are in spec. We can go from there, Thanks.

PS: since you are new to these cars; you might pull the engine cover off and take a photo of the engine compartment, post it up here, so we can see if things look like everything is in place.
      Last edited by billymade; 05-22-2020 at 08:58 PM.

4. 05-24-2020 01:09 PM #3
      Timing belt intact. Found burnt fuel pump relay (#409) so I’m headed to get new. Unfortunately have to drive 2+ hours because live in BFE.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      05-25-2020 12:03 AM #4
      Ok, let us know; the results of the relay swap and we can go from there.