VWVortex.com - Mk1 Golf doesn't suck gasolone. Fuel pump working.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mk1 Golf doesn't suck gasolone. Fuel pump working.

1. 05-23-2020 02:16 AM #1
      Hello, everyone. Greetings from Mexico. I hope everyone is healthy and doing fine. The reason for this thread is that my girlfriend has a mexican 1979 golf mk1 (it's called VW Caribe here) that doesn't suck up gasoline. When we put a dash of fuel directly in the carburator it ignited just fine, but died as sonn as the few gas got consumed. We guessed it was the fuel pump failing, so i only managed to find a generic one. The brand is Herta, supposedly from Germany, but i guess is chinese? Anyways, the car didn't start with that new pump. So i thought " maybe this cheap pump is ****". What we did was to fill a glass with fuel and put the hose of the pump in the glass, and to my relief the pump sucked all the fuel and the engine started right away. Then we proceeded to pump compressed air through the main and return hoses, to the fuel filter, and to the floater in the fuel tank, just to check that the fuel lines weren't clogged. We reconected everything. The 1979 mighty machine started just fine with the fuel that was left from the previous glass test. It ran well for 2 minutes straight. Then it died. Gasoline never really reached the pump, and not even the fuel filter. Frankly i'm astounded. I don't know what's the damm problem. We are not mechanics, so probably we did something wrong? Perhaps? Ohter thing we thought was that maybe the gauge of the hoses is smaller than it should be, since the hoses got changed recently by a mechanic. But the compressed air passes just fine though them. I really don't know what's going on here. I would be forever grateful if someone would help me. Or if you know a mechanic or something, please refer him to this post.

Tl. dr : fuel pump is fine, hoses are not clogged, still gasoline does not get sucked.

Thabk you for reading this thread!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-23-2020 09:36 AM #2
      I would make certain the fuel lines are attached to the correct pipes. You want to suck the gas from the back and push it to the carb. If they are installed incorrectly, it could be pushing fuel to the tank and as you can imagine, that will not work.

2/5 of the Way from San-Fran to Port-Land
      Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      05-23-2020 09:45 AM #3
      From your description of the symptoms and diagnostics that you have performed, it sounds like there is a problem with your fuel tank.

If you disconnect the outlet hose from the tank, does fuel come out due to gravity?

I would suspect that your tank pickup is clogged or broken. I run diesel Rabbits and with those, fuel should drain out of the tank due to gravity.

I understand that some gasoline tanks were different with a complicated pickup system that causes trouble for folks when it fails, there are several threads about it. I always wonder why the diesel tanks weren't good for gasoline.
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      facebook...pfft. vwvortex baby!
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY
      My Butte Whip: 82 Jetta Build
      perpetual online swap-meet(V2.3 FSOT: GTI Ashtray)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      05-23-2020 10:06 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I would make certain the fuel lines are attached to the correct pipes. You want to suck the gas from the back and push it to the carb. If they are installed incorrectly, it could be pushing fuel to the tank and as you can imagine, that will not work.
      Good point. I hope it is that simple.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

7. 05-23-2020 12:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mokoosh View Post
      From your description of the symptoms and diagnostics that you have performed, it sounds like there is a problem with your fuel tank.

If you disconnect the outlet hose from the tank, does fuel come out due to gravity?

I would suspect that your tank pickup is clogged or broken. I run diesel Rabbits and with those, fuel should drain out of the tank due to gravity.

I understand that some gasoline tanks were different with a complicated pickup system that causes trouble for folks when it fails, there are several threads about it. I always wonder why the diesel tanks weren't good for gasoline.
      Thank you all for your answers.

Is this the part you are talking about? The fuel lines are connected to the top of it. We took it out the tank and seems to be fine, no rust or anything. We blew compressed air through it too. Also , yes the hoses are fine, when we blew air through them, we did it from both ends and air reached the end. With that test we alse made sure that the hoses are connected properly. That's why i'm astounded and clueless.

Last year the machine ran just fine. My gf used it as a daily driver. Then she stopped using it because of poor gas mileage. We she wanted to use it again, she had a streak of bad luck; and first her battery got stolen, then some ****ing thief tried to steal the car, but left it 2 blocks away cause the car didn't start Ironicly that was its saving glory
      Last edited by djangel643; 05-23-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Vehicles
      05-24-2020 09:57 AM #6
      The photo is helpful. Scratch what I said about gravity causing fuel to come out of the tank. Your system is all suction.

You are clearly very close to solving your problem. Try to re create the situation when you got it to run by sucking fuel from a glass. This time, add on the part that you showed the photo of. See if it still works. Even if your 'fuel intake/sender unit' is clean and air goes through, it could have a pin hole or crack in the straw that would prevent good suction.

Also make sure that your tank has plenty of gas in it. Good luck, don't give up.

I like your story about the attempted theft. 🙂 In the US no-one steals these because no-one knows how to drive stick anymore.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      05-24-2020 10:18 AM #7
      I would make sure that fuel can be pushed out of the fuel pump.
      Then I would make sure that I could suck fuel out of the tank.
      The 79 should be a bottom feeder where the fuel outlet is at the bottom of the tank....

I would also check the internals of the tank (less than 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank required prior to popping the inspection cover and loosening the
      Fuel sender. (the car should be level on the ground, and the negative post of the Battery disconnected...)

Inside your tank if Still OEM, you may have a swirl polt to prevent fuel starvation on the corners, these have been known to get clogged up with rust and such, so much so that it can't allow fuel out of the swirlpot to the filter screen, as well as the filter screen getting plugged. I have heard of folks blowing air in to the outlet of the fuel tank to clear debris that they Wipe out with a oily rag.... I would make sure that all the fuel is out of the tank prior and no SMOKING.....

I would also check the condition of the Fuel Filler neck as these can get very rusty from the inside...as well.