VWVortex.com - I crashed my show car. it burned down. :sad: what to expect from insurance realistically
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I crashed my show car. it burned down. :sad: what to expect from insurance realistically

1. 05-23-2020 08:37 AM #1
      I was the last car in a multicar pile up. The freeway section in question is around a bend and has a weird incline/decline so if traffic is stopped without taillights, its hard to avoid at normal freeway speeds. I had 2 or 3 car lengths of full braking before I slammed into the back of the work truck at 65 ish mph. The car was slowly on fire after impact. I was dazed and bruised but conscious. A trip to the ER revealed no broken bones/serious injury. I'm banged up, but alive. The car is dead though.

I have AAA insurance, and have until Tuesday to produce all my receipts via email/pdf. I have no intention of being fraudulent, I just want a fair claim. I had full coverage 100k/300k/100k, but the mods and such were not covered in a separate appraisal. This is a risk that we all play with on our modified cars, and I'm well aware of that.

The car is in my driveway and I plan on parting out what's left (which is the rear taillights and down).

Assuming a street value of a stock 1999 Subaru Impreza RS is 7k, and I produce 15k in receipts (6k in paintjob alone), what should be fair compensation? This is my first major accident claim, so i have no idea what to expect. The adjuster and assessment people I have all dealt with have been super nice. I'm grateful for their AAA training.

Here's a before shot.
      Last edited by SpecificationR; 05-23-2020 at 08:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-23-2020 08:44 AM #2
      Sorry for your loss man.... I have no advice
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

4. Senior Member
      05-23-2020 08:49 AM #3
      None of that 15k declared?

Expect 6-8k

Really sucks and sorry to hear, but if you wanted to get ~20k for your modified car you needed an agreed value policy before the accident.

5. 05-23-2020 08:54 AM #4
      I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

There is a very high probability that they will value it as a run of the mill 21 year old Subaru Impreza. Around here, those are rustbuckets with blown head gaskets on their last legs before the scrap heap for the ones that are not already there. NO WAY will a 21 year old mass market economy car (in their view!) be worth US$7000.

You will probably get some credit for your receipts, but bear in mind that the insurance company cares what the car is worth, not what it cost to keep it in that state (or put it in that state). If you did not have an agreed-value policy, they are probably going to tell you to get lost, here's the book value, case closed.

And I know where you are coming from, I own a 30 year old motorcycle that I spent about $8000 on a few years ago, to get it where I want it. I did so with the plan of getting another 10 years out of it, and I'm working on year 7. The insurance company probably thinks it's worth $2000. The wheels alone are more than that.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      05-23-2020 09:06 AM #5
      OP, glad you're healthy. Shame the car isn't.

Here's the insurance bummer:

I just looked on kbb.com and private party value for a 99 2.5RS in excellent condition is just under $3k. I don't know if insurance payout is based on private party or other values, but either way AAA will see this as a few thousand bucks. You will have to fight hard to get them to see your street value of $7k.

Further, I can't imagine that AAA will cover about your paint job, JDM bits, or whatever is special - unless it's part of an agreed value policy, which you would have been paying extra for all along.

I feel for you. Keep us posted as you learn more from AAA!

05-23-2020 09:07 AM #6
      +1 to what GoFaster said. You’ll be lucky to get much of anything for a 20-year-old Impreza no matter the condition before the crash. Without an agreed value policy, a policy rider covering specific equipment or specialty collector auto insurance policy from places like Hagarty that have this built into their claim administration process, you don’t stand a chance. You have effectively been self-insuring the differential value this whole time, you just didn’t know it. Tough lesson to learn. C’est la vie.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      05-23-2020 09:18 AM #7
      Sucks man. Glad you are ok though.

9. 05-23-2020 09:23 AM #8
      The kicker is that because you collided with something in front of you (and weren't struck from behind), insurance will probably rate this as an at-fault claim. At least in my area, there is a set of mandated "fault determination rules" that all insurers use to establish who's responsible in a collision. In a great big multi car pile-up with damage all around, everyone is partially responsible.

When I was the middle in a three-car shunt a few years ago, "my vehicle was struck from behind and pushed into the one ahead" in order to avoid having me be responsible for the front of mine and the back of the one ahead of me, although this collision was so minor that the driver in front didn't even bother sticking around - I insisted on having this written into the collision report just in case that driver showed up later complaining of a sore neck, which he never did, fortunately.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Slow Honda Insight
      05-23-2020 09:28 AM #9
      $3000 is my best guess
      2006 Slow Honda Insight runabout
      2005 Lava Orange MazdaSpeed Miata Hers
      2013 Prius V Hers
      2007 Jeep GC CDI Ours
      2002 Ram Cummins Ours

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-23-2020 09:32 AM #10
      Damn, def a lesson learned here. Always get your **** appraised and covered
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Accord, 2012 Escape, 69 (nice) Beetle
      05-23-2020 11:09 AM #11
      Since we're kicking OP while he's down, I'll add that we had a 99 altima that got stolen in 2010. I had put a $300 stereo in it in 2005, proudly presented the receipt that I had managed to hold on to through 3 moves, and... They depreciated the stereo to about $100.

That was still a significant percentage of the total value of an 11 year old base model altima lol.

13. 05-23-2020 11:16 AM #12
      To then OP: those WHEELS! awesome, looks like you the car the way you wanted it. Sucks flor sure, but you're OK. And you get to start all over again and build something else. What are you looking at to replace it. And again, those wheels!

The FiST I have puts out so much brake dust that silver wouldn't be silver but for a day

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      05-23-2020 11:56 AM #13
      If that’s the section of 134 I think it is... yeah bad sightlines.

I’m going to hope for your sake that the insurance company takes some mercy on you, because strictly speaking I’m thinking a generous offer is five grand - a couple grand more than the assumed value of a good condition 2.5RS.

Fingers crossed...
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-23-2020 12:04 PM #14
      I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but..... All the insurance company sees is an 18 year old Subaru. That's what it's insured as....

If you want any more money than bluebook, keep it and part it out.

I drive two cars that are very uninsured. Market value =/= bluebook value. I may be able to sell my Van for $8K, just not to my insurance company.

Sorry dude. Glad you're OK.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-23-2020 12:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but..... All the insurance company sees is an 18 year old Subaru. That's what it's insured as....

If you want any more money than bluebook, keep it and part it out.

I drive two cars that are very uninsured. Market value =/= bluebook value. I may be able to sell my Van for $8K, just not to my insurance company.

Sorry dude. Glad you're OK.
      Unfortunately they will also only see that he slammed into the back of another car. A lot of states put you immediately at fault for that.

Sorry OP, you had a very nice RS from the looks of it.
      iain

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-23-2020 12:28 PM #16
      Ugh. This is why agreed-value policies are so critical.

You *may* be able to get the insurer to consider a third party appraisal on the car if you have a lot of detailed photos of the vehicle in pre-accident condition showing the work and condition.

I had a friend put my mint E30 325is into a ditch many years ago. The E30 showed 247,000 on the odo, but had been comprehensively restored: glass out paint job, all new OEM lenses/spoilers, fully rebuilt drivetrain, low mile cardinal interior swap from a wrecked 325es, etc.-even a new OEM hood pad. It was beautiful. But the insurance company saw on paper an old BMW with a quarter-million miles and valued it accordingly. It took me sending them a ton of photos (including one of it winning a trophy at a show) for them to send out an appraiser, who promptly valued it at market.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      05-23-2020 12:41 PM #17
      OP may not be as bad off as we are thinking.

I inquired about an agreed value policy with my insurance company for my 30 year old F, sent them a bunch of pics and stuff and they said instead of that, they will just put the pics in a file since they can see that it's immaculate, the car is not insured for a set value, but for replacement cost, which per her brief look at the time was $12k-$14k for one in similar condition (lol, not that high in reality). But my car is pretty much OEM+ and not heavily modified.

So OP might not get the mod money back, but they might offer replacement value of a like condition stock car and not just some old beater. It helps though if you have a good relationship with your insurance company, and a reputable company.

Vehicles
      Jaguar XJR, Audi Q5, Honda Element SC
      05-23-2020 12:56 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      None of that 15k declared?

Expect 6-8k

Really sucks and sorry to hear, but if you wanted to get ~20k for your modified car you needed an agreed value policy before the accident.
      This.

Sorry for your misfortune

Vehicles
      05-23-2020 01:04 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Ugh. This is why agreed-value policies are so critical.

You *may* be able to get the insurer to consider a third party appraisal on the car if you have a lot of detailed photos of the vehicle in pre-accident condition showing the work and condition.

I had a friend put my mint E30 325is into a ditch many years ago. The E30 showed 247,000 on the odo, but had been comprehensively restored: glass out paint job, all new OEM lenses/spoilers, fully rebuilt drivetrain, low mile cardinal interior swap from a wrecked 325es, etc.-even a new OEM hood pad. It was beautiful. But the insurance company saw on paper an old BMW with a quarter-million miles and valued it accordingly. It took me sending them a ton of photos (including one of it winning a trophy at a show) for them to send out an appraiser, who promptly valued it at market.
      You’d think the insurance company would also demand reimbursement for all the years that his premiums were artificially low because he was paying to insure an old, quarter-million mike BMW and not the fully restored car that they were now expected to insure at full value. :p
      iain

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      05-23-2020 01:11 PM #20
      Wow that sucks. Your Impreza was beautiful.

I've got no advise to give. Good luck.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-23-2020 01:35 PM #21
      The car was beautiful. Too bad about the accident.

Keep in mind that if you are asking them to give you credit for all the money you put into it, expect them to ask for much of it back if you decide to buy the car back in order to part it out. IMHO if they give you a good number, take it and walk away.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant, 04 Beetle Turbo S
      05-23-2020 01:52 PM #22
      So you're probably ****ed on the mods, but the good news is your car was super clean, as evidenced by photos.

I have a 95 Audi, and when people on quattroworld get low bids from insurance companies, that is because they are a company. They will OBVIOUSLY give you the lowest number, at least initially. It's their job to be profitable, and they are always going to do this. This doesn't mean they are ****ing everyone over, but they will try lol. This is just the first step.

What you need to do now is comb through ebay, or NASIOC, or even BAT and find values of clean imprezas trading hands, that were in comparable condition to yours. Have as many links as possible that show how much clean imprezas trade hands for, and send it back to them. There will be back and forth but you should not get the same amount back as if it were a beat to **** rusted POS.

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV
      05-23-2020 02:17 PM #23
      In for $3k offer but settle closer to $5500ish or so because of condition.
      Sad, but it is what it is.

Car can be replaced.

Vehicles
      05-23-2020 02:20 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      So you're probably ****ed on the mods, but the good news is your car was super clean, as evidenced by photos.

I have a 95 Audi, and when people on quattroworld get low bids from insurance companies, that is because they are a company. They will OBVIOUSLY give you the lowest number, at least initially. It's their job to be profitable, and they are always going to do this. This doesn't mean they are ****ing everyone over, but they will try lol. This is just the first step.

What you need to do now is comb through ebay, or NASIOC, or even BAT and find values of clean imprezas trading hands, that were in comparable condition to yours. Have as many links as possible that show how much clean imprezas trade hands for, and send it back to them. There will be back and forth but you should not get the same amount back as if it were a beat to **** rusted POS.
      “It’s ok for the insurance company to think my old car is a rusted out POS when I’m paying the insurance premiums but not when they need to pay out the insurance claim.”
      iain

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant, 04 Beetle Turbo S
      05-23-2020 02:24 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      “It’s ok for the insurance company to think my old car is a rusted out POS when I’m paying the insurance premiums but not when they need to pay out the insurance claim.”
      That’s why you fight them and send evidence it’s worth more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast